Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am not familiar with French labor laws anymore, but I thought that this vote has no legal value.
And the way the question is phrased will be attacked. Lilke "do you think that the strike should end now?", ""do you accept the current package offered by the company?", "Do you want to get more?"
And the threat of the CEO resignation is not a big threat and might even encourage strikers.
But the strike will have to come to an end soon. SO that's might be some exit scenario.

The strikers already got excellent benefits and the pilots made it clear that they are untouchable in the future. It is an important message to management and will impede any serious productivity gain. Sad for FAs, but it will also speed the development of Joon.
t is management that is eating their hats, not the pilots.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 20, 2018 at 8:47 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:49 pm

So if the vote is happening from 16th April till "early-May", that means no more announced strikes during this time while the vote is happening? Why is there a strike still on the books for 23-24 April while this vote is happening.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
So if the vote is happening from 16th April till "early-May", that means no more announced strikes during this time while the vote is happening? Why is there a strike still on the books for 23-24 April while this vote is happening.
it is from the 26th, not 16th for the vote.
They will certainly not call now for the end of the strike. They want to maintain some pressure on management. It will be interesting to see the % of strikers on 23-24/04.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak

it is from the 26th, not 16th for the vote.
They will certainly not call now for the end of the strike. They want to maintain some pressure on management. It will be interesting to see the % of strikers on 23-24/04.
what counts most is the number of cancelled/understaffed/delayed flights, especially long hauls where AF makes its money. As long as there is a significant number, say over 20%, AF is in bad shape.

As as a side note, I find it amazing how communication has been tightly locked. We don’t get any « stories » in the written media. No stories from employees, no stories from stranded pax. AF is a huge advertising budget in all media, so it is a bit understandable. Still a bit weird.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
As as a side note, I find it amazing how communication has been tightly locked. We don’t get any « stories » in the written media. No stories from employees, no stories from stranded pax.
I don't find it that surprising. First, there is far juicier journalistic stuff in other conflicts: ND des Landes and the students' strikes
provide the more "dramatic" style of occupying movements and the SNCF strike has considerably more impact on the French public than the Air France one. Secondly, the number of persons impacted by the AF strike was, it seems to me, relatively limited and manageable overall, albeit costly. I travelled through CDG on two different strike days and I was struck at how much it felt broadly similar to normal days and how the display screens showed a relatively limited number of cancellations overall. This seems to be in line with the number of flights cancelled in the media.

The idea that the impact of the strike was underplayed by the media because AF is a big advertiser does not seem to me very credible.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
I don't find it that surprising. First, there is far juicier journalistic stuff in other conflicts: ND des Landes and the students' strikes
provide the more "dramatic" style of occupying movements and the SNCF strike has considerably more impact on the French public than the Air France one. Secondly, the number of persons impacted by the AF strike was, it seems to me, relatively limited and manageable overall, albeit costly. I travelled through CDG on two different strike days and I was struck at how much it felt broadly similar to normal days and how the display screens showed a relatively limited number of cancellations overall. This seems to be in line with the number of flights cancelled in the media.

The idea that the impact of the strike was underplayed by the media because AF is a big advertiser does not seem to me very credible.
The big strike problem is longhaul. When you reach near 50% of longhaul flights cancelled (and some with long delays), one can hardly say that the impact is relatively limited and manageable. Longhaul is the bread and butter of AF. Sure longhaul flights ( 7 to 13 hours duration) are much fewer than the numerous 1+hour short/medium flights. There might even be more French domestic AF flights than longhaul. On a Paris-Nice or Paris-London route, a few cancellations hardly troubles a pax. But longhaul cancellations certainly do as there are few nonstop alternatives. Unfortunately, a large proportion of pilots qualified to fly the big birds have been on strike.

Your point on the lesser importance of AF strikes in the media is well taken.
I am still surprised that the "written" press (which is all we can access abroad) has devoted none of its numerous secondary articles (not headlines) to it. And the headlines have been basically paraphrasing AF press releases.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
No one likely knows the answer to this but I'll give it a shot just in case....

When they say a strike is happening on April 23 and 24, does that mean the strike action starts at 00:01 on April 23 or sometime later in the day like 06:00? I have an 00:40 AF flight on April 23 so just wondering. (I realize not all flights will be canceled in a strike, but am cautiously nervous nonetheless since it feels to me like I am flying Sunday night, not Monday morning. Alas, the clock doesn't lie and it really is a Monday flight
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:25 am

I was flying in coach. I rebooked myself into the same class for the next day. It was all done via the website. The phone was utterly useless.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:26 am

I had to file the claim myself. It was actually being handled by Delta. They are covering everything it seems - plus the $600 Euro each for the delay.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97

When they say a strike is happening on April 23 and 24, does that mean the strike action starts at 00:01 on April 23 or sometime later in the day like 06:00? I have an 00:40 AF flight on April 23 so just wondering. (I realize not all flights will be canceled in a strike, but am cautiously nervous nonetheless since it feels to me like I am flying Sunday night, not Monday morning. Alas, the clock doesn't lie and it really is a Monday flight
the time you indicate shows that you are departing from a country outside France (because no AF flight departs at 00:40 from CDG) and so the crews do not strike abroad, they want to return home).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
the time you indicate shows that you are departing from a country outside France (because no AF flight departs at 00:40 from CDG) and so the crews do not strike abroad, they want to return home).
This was certainly my hope, thank you!

Connecting to Delta at CDG so as long as my AF DXB-CDG operates, I'm all set.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
I have flown to cairo on 19th. I had some material in my luggages that i need to complete my work here that did not make the connection because of previous domestic flight Landed in cdg 2h30 late !!!!
for some reason, they have cancelled flights of 20th and 21st. So my luggages are still stucked in cdg. I hope they will get to cairo tomorrow night. Therefore, if lucky i can get thème in Alexandria the day after (23rd), which is the day i was supposed to leave...(1am on 24th)
If i call AF, would they rebook me two days later without fee knowing that they would deliver luggages on day of departure ?

could i claim something for extra hotel or car?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97

Depends where you fly from.
If it is from CDG, it is likely that the flight is potentially affected by the strike.
If it departs from outstation, it is likely that the flight will not be affected as the crew wishes to return home and the plane will have arrived "safely".
By affected, I mean that your flight has the potential to be cancelled or not.

SORRY; had not seen Goldorak's reply above
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Depends where you fly from.
SORRY; had not seen Goldorak's reply above
No apology needed, thanks for the additional confirmation, certainly calming my nerves! It's AF655 DXB-CDG so I'm feeling hopeful now.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
I am going on a family trip on the 25th to the US and those strike almost ruined it. My family (no status) coming from morocco got its flight cancelled to come to paris on the 25th (all flights to rabat have been cancelled in these 2 days of strike so no plane in Rabat on 25th). Called Plat Line and they had no available flight to book them on ( all flights were full already with other companies) and be able to get the connection to JFK although there was a Transavia flight the day before but surprisingly enough, they said they can't book them on a Transavia flight !!!! (maybe it is normal but it is surprising not to be able to book on a company from the same group). The person told me to go ahead and make the booking myself and ask for reimbursement later which i did and fortunately, because few hours later the flight was full. The platinum had no idea if there was a limit to how much the ticket could be, i paid 300 € for each ticket. anyone had similar experience of having to make own plans and ask for reimbursement later on?

My parents are eligible to EC261/2004 anyway (based on my experience on a cancelled flight to Oslo in one of March strikes) so i will ask for that and that would cover the cost of the tickets but i am going to ask for the reimbursement + the EC261/2004 because there was too much hassle because of the bloody strike!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.