FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF strike June 23rd -> June 26th suspended, except for one union: SPAF
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:19 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
As as a side note, I find it amazing how communication has been tightly locked. We don’t get any « stories » in the written media. No stories from employees, no stories from stranded pax.
I don't find it that surprising. First, there is far juicier journalistic stuff in other conflicts: ND des Landes and the students' strikes
provide the more "dramatic" style of occupying movements and the SNCF strike has considerably more impact on the French public than the Air France one. Secondly, the number of persons impacted by the AF strike was, it seems to me, relatively limited and manageable overall, albeit costly. I travelled through CDG on two different strike days and I was struck at how much it felt broadly similar to normal days and how the display screens showed a relatively limited number of cancellations overall. This seems to be in line with the number of flights cancelled in the media.

The idea that the impact of the strike was underplayed by the media because AF is a big advertiser does not seem to me very credible.