Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will be JOON's first [last] routes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadavid
I don't really know where to post it
I guess that this thread would be its natural home.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Many
It's time to rename the thread "What will be JOON's last routes?"

See: Is Joon over?
Zembla, RoyalSwazi, Xizm and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I guess Joon is definitely over:

Link

I had nearly once had the opportunity to step onboard, but never materialized. Glad to see this Transavia-wannabe gone. Seem that Ben is concentrating now on making AF more premium based. I hope he will look into the improving the Premium Voyaguer cabin both hard and soft product to at least be on par with DL's Premium Select.

Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I guess Joon is definitely over:

Link

I had nearly once had the opportunity to step onboard, but never materialized. Glad to see this Transavia-wannabe gone. Seem that Ben is concentrating now on making AF more premium based. I hope he will look into the improving the Premium Voyaguer cabin both hard and soft product to at least be on par with DL's Premium Select.

Cheers!
Link is dead. The requested topic does not exist.

I am curious, flying Joon tomorrow CDG-LIS.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Carel1
Link is dead. The requested topic does not exist.

I am curious, flying Joon tomorrow CDG-LIS.
Here's the direct link to the article in La Tribune https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...on-803270.html
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:41 am

Do you think a Joon flight TXL-CDG-CPT November 30 or December 1 is late enough in this year to have changed into "normal" Air France when the trip is taking place?

I get the impression that you only get one meal included on economy longhaul in Joon, as opposed to two meals included (plus drinks and snacks in between) with Air France?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Noobflyer59
Do you think a Joon flight TXL-CDG-CPT November 30 or December 1 is late enough in this year to have changed into "normal" Air France when the trip is taking place?
Hard to say with certitude, but I think that AF will have full operations control on Joon flights at that date. But the planes may still be Joon (equipment, colors, livery)
Noobflyer59 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The end is nigh: on a FCO-CDG this week one of the FAs did not wear white sneakers but more „classic“ shoes. Looks like the crews start giving up on JOON ;-)

Seriously, I wonder whether there will be changes in the longhaul Network following the end of JOON. Some destinations (Fortaleza and similar) were opened with the explanation that the JOON cost structure and concept made them economically sustainable. Will reverting back to AF kill them? The cost difference is minimal between JOON and AF, so that should keep these routes, shouldn’t it?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Seriously, I wonder whether there will be changes in the longhaul Network following the end of JOON. Some destinations (Fortaleza and similar) were opened with the explanation that the JOON cost structure and concept made them economically sustainable. Will reverting back to AF kill them? The cost difference is minimal between JOON and AF, so that should keep these routes, shouldn’t it?
Good question. I am guessing that CPT will stay (it was operated by AF mainline before Joon) and I think the route works OK. Same for CAI and BOM, historical AF routes : no doubt it will go back to AF mainline.
SEZ : I think this one will be axed. They have already announced suspension for a couple of months before end of Joon announcement.
FOR ?? no idea about current performance. It may have a chance to stay as Brazil is a big market.
UIO : not launched yet, so I think they are going at least to give it a chance.
THR is gone for long IMO (and for reasons not specific to AF/Joon).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are talking about a route, maybe 2, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things as to whether they continue them or not.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hfly
You are talking about a route, maybe 2, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things as to whether they continue them or not.
Sorry, but I don't get your point.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I meant in essence was that in the history of FT, I cannot recall anyone ever saying, "gee, I really wish AF flew to Fortaleza" or any other airline bar perhaps TAP. So if they keep it or not, who cares? People maybe looking forward to a bucket and spade trip one day? SEZ, maybe a bit more aspirational, but also unimportant.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
It seems to me that it is less an issue of whether reverting back to AF fundamentally changes the cost equation (I agree with you that it probably does not to a point that would warrant canceling the route after having invested in starting it up) but rather one, as you point out in the strategic change of direction thread, of strategic choice: does a route like FOR fit into Ben Smith's strategic vision for the airline? The fact that a route is operated by Joon is one element but not necessarily conclusive. I have more doubts than Goldorak, for instance, that CPT will survive in the medium term. It may be a route that goes back to being served by KL only instead of both AF and KL. DItto UIO. On intra-European, it is difficult to imagine places like MAD or BCN not being served but the case for NAP or BGO would be less compelling, I would have thought.

If he wants to increase AF's resilience with more spare aircraft and solid frequencies on core routes, something else will have to give somewhere, won't it, as I doubt that AF has the cash to increase the size of the fleet.
San Gottardo and brunos like this.

Last edited by NickB; Jan 25, 2019 at 2:09 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
I forgot about Joon...was still one of my favorite doomed to fail LCC ‘airline within an airline’ concepts, interesting concept but same labor and cost issues (pilots are the same, mechanics are the same, etc.) at the parent bleed into the new venture just diluting economies of scale and confusing the customer.

The list of failures is long (‘Ted’ was one of my favorites)...DragonAir is one of the relatively successful ones - and that was a CX buyout...not started from within...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by CoMooter
I forgot about Joon...was still one of my favorite doomed to fail LCC ‘airline within an airline’ concepts, interesting concept but same labor and cost issues (pilots are the same, mechanics are the same, etc.) at the parent bleed into the new venture just diluting economies of scale and confusing the customer.

The list of failures is long (‘Ted’ was one of my favorites)...DragonAir is one of the relatively successful ones - and that was a CX buyout...not started from within...
Indeed KA, renamed Cathay Dragon in 2016, was a buyout. But it is a full service airline that only operates regional routes (no longhaull like Joon). Its service is similar to that of CX regional product.

SQ might be an interesting comparison. Besides the mainline, it has SIlk, a full-service regional airline and Scoot a budget airline. In may 2018, it announced that SIlk will be merged into SQ after retrofitting lie-flat business seats on its aircraft, while a few routes will be transferred to Scoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.