AF Safety Video/ads: No more Glass Candy - Warm in the Winter ?

Old Mar 18, 18, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
AF Safety Video/ads: No more Glass Candy - Warm in the Winter ?

Not sure how news is this and if this is OT, but I was a little sad about it.

While flying the 787 from CDG to LHR I noticed that during the safety videos there was a different background music than the variation of "Warm in the Winter" from Glass Candy ("France in the air..").
The new background music is definitely less interesting, too quiet and less "corporate identity" than WITW. While I found it a little annoying when it first came out, I become addicted to that catchy music.
Today I've even seen a tv ad (on the italian tv) with the new music and the same video that used to have WITW. It really feels like an afterthought.

I'm curious if there is any motivation of this switch rather than just a change for the sake of change.
Old Mar 18, 18, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I noticed the same on all my flights since last month
I don’t know why they did that. The video is very boring now and looks less “fresh and energic” than before.
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:35 am

Programs: KL Plat
Wonder if it's anything to do with this...

Love is in the Air: Songwriters sue US pop duo, Air France over alleged copyright breach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Opinions? To me, other than they share the lyric "love is in the air", which is even sung slightly differently, they are completely different songs.

Just to add, it was still the hold music on the Platinum line last week
Old Mar 19, 18, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Solevita View Post
Wonder if it's anything to do with this...

Love is in the Air: Songwriters sue US pop duo, Air France over alleged copyright breach - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Opinions? To me, other than they share the lyric "love is in the air", which is even sung slightly differently, they are completely different songs.

Just to add, it was still the hold music on the Platinum line last week
Thanks for the reference. I've noticed the same, the song is still in the PL service line as of this morning (at least from Switzerland)
I expected there would be something like an alleged copyright breach... I wonder why it went out now, since the song has been out for years.
Old Mar 19, 18, 3:45 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Andy82 View Post
Thanks for the reference. I've noticed the same, the song is still in the PL service line as of this morning (at least from Switzerland)
I expected there would be something like an alleged copyright breach... I wonder why it went out now, since the song has been out for years.
The only press I see about it is from the land of Oz (actually, searching for the track after being on the Plat line, the first results were all about the lawsuit), so probably an Oz lawyer had a trip on AF and had in idea. I guess Glass Candy aren't that big in Oz (I've never heard of them, a Brit now living in Sweden), so only got picked up when AF ran with it.

Definitely a catchy tune though, even listening to it on low quality repeat for 20 minutes wasn't too painful whilst waiting for an operator...
Old Mar 19, 18, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Strange. I thought AF had bought the copyright for "love is in the air", a famous Australian song that I loved.
I was not even aware of Glass Candy.
I am a fan of "The Good Wife" and American TV legal series. That would make a wonderful episode. If AF has to pay back a percentage of the amount they spent on advertising worldwide, it would be a hefty sum. And damages related to the Plat line.
Old Mar 19, 18, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Strange. I thought AF had bought the copyright for "love is in the air", a famous Australian song that I loved.
I was not even aware of Glass Candy.
I had heard warm in the winter multiple times before hearing it in the AF advertising although I would not have been aware of Glass Candy as such. I must say that, while I knew "love is in the air", In would never have associated it with the Glass Candy song or the AF advert although the similarity of the (short) musical phrase is clear when you listen to them side by side.
Old Mar 20, 18, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot find the AF ad anymore. Anyone would have a link that has not been removed?
Old Mar 20, 18, 2:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor ALL Gold
I cannot find the AF ad anymore. Anyone would have a link that has not been removed?

here it is , but without glass candy !
Old Mar 20, 18, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no more AF Love in the Air anywhere on the web?
Old Mar 20, 18, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no more AF Love in the Air anywhere on the web?
not on official AF channels but you can still find it here and there (youtube ...)..
Old Mar 20, 18, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
not on official AF channels but you can still find it here and there (youtube ...)..
Finally found it. Forgot that the title was "France is in the Air"
Old Mar 20, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Plat, Marriott Plat,
Noooooo!

I loved the safety video!!
Old Mar 21, 18, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Noooooo!

I loved the safety video!!
The safety video is still the same and it is still there, itís just the background music that changed (significantly) :-(
Old Mar 21, 18, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I asked the question to a PNC during a flight today and she was totally clueless and said she didn't even remarked the music was gone !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: