Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
It would be nice to have a comprehensive summary of catering options similar to BA's description (that I just accidentally found)!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22132459-post1.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I'm very surprised by what you say. There is definitely champagne in EU J and there is a small printed menu placed on the tray (may be you missed it).
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
However, I've never noticed that there was a menu. Neither on the super short flights (ZRH, MUC), the somewhat longer ones (VIE) nor the actually long ones (LIS).
Originally Posted by ajs123
Goldorak, I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a printed menu on the tray. I ll post some pics, but I am not sure whether I agree with San Gottardo's food assessment.
In this thread, in post#4, you can see a picture of the menu placed on the tray for a BUD-CDG flight back in april.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...two-hours.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by ajs123
The purser on my flight tried to save the situation yesterday with a joke saying that 'we have sparkling water and wine on board, but no sparkling wine'...
Goldorak, I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a printed menu on the tray. I ll post some pics, but I am not sure whether I agree with San Gottardo's food assessment.
Also there wasn't any PDB, so now I feel like I have missed out on something!
My comment was more of a comparative nature. Comparing past on Air France to present on Air France, not comparing AF to better airlines. In the past, there were some plastic boxes in which they had stuffed some indiscernible mesh, which looked as if it had just been regurgitated by a fellow passenger. I remember that at one point I googled for the term "prison food scandal", and the pictures that came up in that search were frighteningly close to what was served in business class on European flights (I think I reused those pictures in the thread on catering in the KLM crown lounges in Amsterdam).

Now the actual presentation is much better as you noted, and you can at least discern the shapes and colours of the items on the plate, and get a feeling for the taste that they are intending to create. It's a great food? Very very very far from that. It is processed food handled in an industrial process, not very fresh, and adapted to use on an aircraft. Small portions. We used to get better in economy class 15 years ago. Now it's a glorified snack, and not even that glorified.

Concerning the menu, maybe the only show them on the flights were they have hot food. The short flight to Florence probably doesn't fall into that category.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:57 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Concerning the menu, maybe the only show them on the flights were they have hot food. The short flight to Florence probably doesn't fall into that category.
This was the menu from my CDG-FLR flight six weeks ago. So menu: yes; hot food: no.

Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ShopAround
This was the menu from my CDG-FLR flight six weeks ago. So menu: yes; hot food: no.

This is typical of the food I do not like in AF premium classes. They always make it too complicated by half, and privilege weird textures and transformed products (flan this, cake that, etc) over products respected for what they are (chicken breast, cheese, etc). To me this is never a winning option. The worst used to be the second snack on shorter long haul J (like East coast US etc) where their tapas plate was always made of the most atrocious possible things. I hope this has changed now but haven't flown them on that type of distance for a while.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
This is typical of the food I do not like in AF premium classes. They always make it too complicated by half, and privilege weird textures and transformed products (flan this, cake that, etc) over products respected for what they are (chicken breast, cheese, etc). To me this is never a winning option. The worst used to be the second snack on shorter long haul J (like East coast US etc) where their tapas plate was always made of the most atrocious possible things. I hope this has changed now but haven't flown them on that type of distance for a while.
I completely second orbitmic there. The menu is often too complicated with strong tastes that would not be appreciated by most palates.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Has anyone successfully argued for EC261 compensation yet for this W>Y downgrade? I'm definitely going to write in, but expect it to fall on dead ears.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not Happy with no PE on S/H - M/H flights

Hi,

Recently just came off PE L/H and was connecting to AMS. Now with the removal of this PE section completely, totally not amused with the situation.

No front seat available - saviour was that I had the exit seat.
I cannot understand if they want to reduce this to cut cost, at least do it like KLM and keep the first few rows behind business reserved until X hours before the flight for connecting PE or Economy Flex ticket holders.
I am ok if they do not want to give out anymore Business class meals, etc, but at least still keep it a bit more Premium especially after your passenger has paid a sum for PE.

Not impressed with how the situation is now.

Cheers.

ps: in my situation it was even a harder slap on the face because the passenger before me while boarding with a Economy fare and me (with Economy Flex) was upgraded to Business just because of her status (Plat). Me a lowly gold was not even though I had the Flex ticket
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
but at least still keep it a bit more Premium especially after your passenger has paid a sum for PE.
To be fair, I think that AF was pretty unique in offering a distinct class on short-haul for PE customers. All other airlines that I know of put PE customers in ordinary Y on short-haul.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Has anyone successfully argued for EC261 compensation yet for this W>Y downgrade? I'm definitely going to write in, but expect it to fall on dead ears.
Whatever their answer, it seems to me a clearcut case of a 261/2004 compensation eligible downgrade. This is one of these instances where I would happily litigate if they denied me compensation.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by nldogbert

ps: in my situation it was even a harder slap on the face because the passenger before me while boarding with a Economy fare and me (with Economy Flex) was upgraded to Business just because of her status (Plat). Me a lowly gold was not even though I had the Flex ticket
You may not like what I think, but I actually do think that it is absolutely fantastic news that AF upgrades passengers based on status (unlike my longhaul flight this week where some members of the the Captain's family filled the remaining seats, with the others remaining in the back in Y. His daughter sat next to me, so I had the download of the situation. Surely some status pax would have preferred being the ones going to C class instead)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You may not like what I think, but I actually do think that it is absolutely fantastic news that AF upgrades passengers based on status (unlike my longhaul flight this week where some members of the the Captain's family filled the remaining seats, with the others remaining in the back in Y. His daughter sat next to me, so I had the download of the situation. Surely some status pax would have preferred being the ones going to C class instead)
+1
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+2. In fact, there have been far too many occasions on this forum where people reported being upgraded more often as silver than gold, or as gold rather than silver and seeing people with lower status (including within the same party so exact same ticket conditions) taking precedence. More status logic would be considerable progress on AF's part.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Whatever their answer, it seems to me a clearcut case of a 261/2004 compensation eligible downgrade. This is one of these instances where I would happily litigate if they denied me compensation.
I agree. You booked to be "in front of the curtain" in the part of the cabin that has a meal and you find yourself behind the curtain in the part that doesn't. I'd stick to my guns really.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I've had two trips where I booked and paid for W prior to it being discontinued but flew after it had gone into effect. Both were booked through DL.com, so that's who I contacted for compensation.

The first time, they credited me a small amount for the downgrade, around $50 USD. I had flown the outbound when there was still W but the return after the downgrade.

The second time, I was upgraded on my outbound flight but flew Y on the return. I decided not to seek compensation for that one - the upgrade was nice, even for just a short flight and I felt like I didn't want to mess with my upgrade karma by asking for compensation for the return flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.