Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I agree for the ORY Hop AF / AF Hop or I don't know what but that's not the subject of this thread.
But for the suppression of the PE product on MH to/from CDG, I don't see where the "bordel" is
The article actually makes it messy by adding the HOP! part at the end, and mentionning La Navette which was absolutely not mentionned as staying AF in the last official communications.

Why do you say this ? They didn't announce any change in miles earnings for Eco Flex vs current PE. I'm not saying it could not happen, but there has never been anything said about this.
Because the article says that Y, B and M would be the flexible classes?

This has been also confirmed to me by AF people.
So why didn't they mention it on the press statement released a few days ago. My 2 cents is that they don't really know what to do yet.

Last edited by olivedel; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I also note that the article would also seem to imply that there will now be a consistent policy for Abonnés fares, whether it is on a domestic or intra-European route, whereas in the past, the intra-European Abonnés fares were the same as the A fares, accessible to any customer, provided the ticket was bought early.
There is no immediate scheduled changes to the Abonnés card for Europe, unfortunately.

No mention is made of business class fares, especially for Abonnés. If a more expensive version of the Abonné card could grant a homogeneous 40% discount on the full fare business class ticket, it would be an interesting development.
This has been also suggested +++ to AF.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
What about the A321 and A318 planes? Why don't they get the new seats? So on top of the somewhat complex fare/cabin situation, there now also is inconsistency between planes. A321 has the old seats, A320 and A319 the new seats, and A318 has the NEO seats.
I have asked them the same question. A318 : as the NEO seat is quite recent, they don't want to retrofit them at the moment
A321 : they want first to study carefully the future of this type in their MH fleet. If they keep them, I'm pretty confident they will retrofit them, but it will be after A319/A320. Note that most of the A321 have a more recent cabin interior than A319/320. For the A318, they should really do something as this plane is quite frequent from CDG.

Last edited by Goldorak; Nov 27, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AF-Platinum for Life / LH-M&M / Radisson Rewards Platinum / IHG Gold
For the A318, they should really do something as this plane is quite frequent from CDG.
Out of curiosity, what is the longest A318 flight from CDG?
As a regular on CDG-ZRH-CDG I do actually like the non-reclinable seat: quite bearable for a one-hour flight, and my knees find it very useful on a full plane
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Interesting debate on the use of Self Booking Tools - unfortunately, I too am ruled by these. Now most of my colleagues are quite habile at getting around the system to make sure we are on the flight we want, but the class is the class and on M/H it is economy for all 600,000 employees except the top 12 EVP's and the CEO (who has a G4 anyway).

Our problem is that the system we use - Concur (otherwise known as AXO - run by American Express, a not insignificant travel management company) will happily give the option to book C or W, it would be flagged for justification, but it is bookable (and career damaging...). HOWEVER, the real issue, is that for a given flight it will only give the cheapest price in a given cabin. i.e. Only one fare in Economy, the cheapest one, irrespective of luggage/flexibility/etc.

If Mini is available, the only way to avoid, or to guarantee flexibility, is to book another carrier... I don't think that is AF's objective.

When I look at myself, colleagues and friends, there are so many of us flying around on Mini fares, because that is what computer systems give us, even if those fares were not designed for us and we could book more expensive tickets without breaching corporate travel policies.

AF - IF YOU ARE READING THIS - please change Mini fares to require two/three weeks advance purchase!!!!! You would still be competitive with tourists and would not lose money unnecessarily to corporate travellers who need a little partial flexibility...

Now after reading through all of this complicated long thread there is still one crucial, vital subject close to all of our hearts that has not been discussed in depth except for two posts: What about the miles and the status contribution?

Over the past few years every change to AF's fare structure has resulted in fewer and fewer miles and fewer qualifying rate buckets - what will this do?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by jsfr
AF - IF YOU ARE READING THIS - please change Mini fares to require two/three weeks advance purchase!!!!! You would still be competitive with tourists and would not lose money unnecessarily to corporate travellers who need a little partial flexibility...
Fully agree.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Fully agree.
+2
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

There is also another important point, in link with this suppression of MH PE and introduction of Eco flex, that has not been discussed yet in this thread : lounge access rules. Eco Flex pax will not anymore have free access to the lounge in CDG and AMS, but will still be able to access it for a fee.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Thanks for your explanations, your self-booking tool sounds particularly terrifying!

On your suggestion, however, I don't think that the earlier part would be true (about AF still being competitive with tourists). Ultimately, MiNi is "supposedly" intended to compete with low costs, and low costs tend to be affordable till the end. In fact, low cost offer cheap one ways till the end while AF already imposes a ridiculous 42 day advance purchase for one way MiNi fares!!

MiNi are nasty fares, and they are nasty regardless of the restrictions, but in effect, I mostly think that AF should restore some "classic" advantages to MiNi. For instance, MiNi fares could still be "Hand luggage only" but become changeable for a fee, and they could earn level miles and award miles even if they do not count as level segments. I suspect that this would make the blow less harsh on the self-booking tool victims...
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Eco Flex pax will not anymore have free access to the lounge in CDG and AMS, but will still be able to access it for a fee.
If AF think that they will pay for that in addition to serving them nonsense on how their new fares are now 8% cheaper than they were... to fly in quasi-C, they really must think that their flexible customers are exceedingly stupid!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our problem is that the system we use - Concur (otherwise known as AXO - run by American Express, a not insignificant travel management company) will happily give the option to book C or W, it would be flagged for justification, but it is bookable (and career damaging...). HOWEVER, the real issue, is that for a given flight it will only give the cheapest price in a given cabin. i.e. Only one fare in Economy, the cheapest one, irrespective of luggage/flexibility/etc.

If Mini is available, the only way to avoid, or to guarantee flexibility, is to book another carrier... I don't think that is AF's objective.
Interesting ly, Amex Travel (at least on the UK retail platform) will not offer hand baggage only fares on BA but will offer mini-fares on AF. Not sure whether it is BA differentiating according to TA (depending on whether the TA is more business or leisure oriented) or Amex themselves.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On your suggestion, however, I don't think that the earlier part would be true (about AF still being competitive with tourists). Ultimately, MiNi is "supposedly" intended to compete with low costs, and low costs tend to be affordable till the end.
Not sure empirically on low costs tending to be affordable until the end (IME, it is very far from uncommon for legacy carrier to end cheaper than LCCs at the last minute) but, yes, part of the point is also to ensure positioning at the top on comparison sites such as kayak and you are compromising this by withdrawing mini or HBO fares at a particular point in time.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:22 am

On your suggestion, however, I don't think that the earlier part would be true (about AF still being competitive with tourists). Ultimately, MiNi is "supposedly" intended to compete with low costs, and low costs tend to be affordable till the end. In fact, low cost offer cheap one ways till the end while AF already imposes a ridiculous 42 day advance purchase for one way MiNi fares!!...
True, but I think most "tourists" leisure people tend to plan more far in advance ands know to book as early as possible. Business trips tend to be more book when the trip is confirmed, which (for me at least) is rarely more than a week/10 days, and is often less.

MiNi are nasty fares, and they are nasty regardless of the restrictions, but in effect, I mostly think that AF should restore some "classic" advantages to MiNi. For instance, MiNi fares could still be "Hand luggage only" but become changeable for a fee, and they could earn level miles and award miles even if they do not count as level segments. I suspect that this would make the blow less harsh on the self-booking tool victims...
A great idea - or perhaps reserve that for "Elite" members, given that most elites are travelling most of the time on business anyway.

Although, I am sure AF can and have looked at statistics of Elite pax on Mini fares...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Not sure empirically on low costs tending to be affordable until the end (IME, it is very far from uncommon for legacy carrier to end cheaper than LCCs at the last minute) but, yes, part of the point is also to ensure positioning at the top on comparison sites such as kayak and you are compromising this by withdrawing mini or HBO fares at a particular point in time.
Indeed - I can almost never even get a seat on the Monday morning Easyjet flight to Luton unless I book at least two weeks in advance and then it is often +200GBP....
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:43 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by Q-STO
Out of curiosity, what is the longest A318 flight from CDG?
It's probably CDG-LIS.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by tff
It's probably CDG-LIS.
I don't think it is a very usual equipment for it but I have had it on CDG-SOF which I think is a bit longer.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:30 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by NickB
Interesting ly, Amex Travel (at least on the UK retail platform) will not offer hand baggage only fares on BA but will offer mini-fares on AF. Not sure whether it is BA differentiating according to TA (depending on whether the TA is more business or leisure oriented) or Amex themselves.
BA HBO fares are NOT published fares - there require different/specific entries in GDS'es to be displayed/priced (details: http://portal.onlinetraveltraining.c...s/qqal4ofd.pdf). Self service tools are too 'stupid' to display them. Quite smart of BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.