Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks olivedel, that report gives us a good sense of what traveling in the new P could look like. ^

I wouldn't argue that it's "the best" out there (but then define "best" - and it's not because it isn't that I would refute it), I wouldn't say that they have come up with any real innovations other than the curtain, but all in all I really really like it. The cons that you listed are cons, surely, but absolutely nothing there that would make me hesitate to fly in that cabin and to fully enjoy it.

Maybe as a single traveler I would avoid at all costs to be in the central block. Enclosed with another person behind curtains but only that small divider, feels a bit like a field hospital from one of the world wars.

For trips from Paris to destinations served by P this is a great product. I hope to have an opportunity to test it as soon as it is deployed this autumn.

Well done Air France ^ Just cut the marketing blubber about "the best" and just let facts speak for itself. From the pictures I can see I'd put this easily on par with what European competitors offer, there is absolutely no need to hype it up by language. It is good enough as it is! It looks like a very good First Class cabin, bravo

Last edited by San Gottardo; May 8, 2014 at 1:23 am
Old May 8, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Great report!

And now I no longer than think that olivedel is a lady called Olive with connections to Delhi.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hi olivedel, thanks again for the report! One question you did not answer (tss tss!! ) is whether AF have finally listened to feedback and the noise cancelling headphones are now normal detachable Bose or if they are still "permanent headphones". I have had numerous problems of non-working headsets so hope they did listen!

Shame about the central block. 2 out of 4 seats seem to have little privacy.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you Olivedel for this great live report.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
And now I no longer than think that olivedel is a lady called Olive with connections to Delhi.
What a disappointment
Old May 8, 2014, 3:04 am

At first glance I do not see a material difference in comfort over the current P seats. I do not like the idea of curtains.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
One question you did not answer (tss tss!! ) is whether AF have finally listened to feedback and the noise cancelling headphones are now normal detachable Bose or if they are still "permanent headphones". I have had numerous problems of non-working headsets so hope they did listen!
I am afraid to tell you that they did not listen to your feedback: the headset is attached.

Shame about the central block. 2 out of 4 seats seem to have little privacy.
Well. They have full privacy towards the aisle, not between each other.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Well done Air France ^ Just cut the marketing blubber about "the best" and just let facts speak for itself.
Indeed, cause we all know that there is no better way to fly just to the east of France.

First of all, this is a very realistic F class. One, which can be sold at realistic prices to earn a decent return on a few routes.

One should not forget that AF is in the early stages of cutting a lot of fat and that we will very likely see those rather superficial attempts being followed by one or two more serious rounds of cuts, so per se a slightly updated F makes sense from various points of view.

Letting the facts speak for itself is indeed the major task for KL/AF in the next couple of years. Without any doubt, communication is important, but there is far more demand for letting the facts speak for itself in the Finance &Controlling departments.

A slightly better product will not save KL/AF from getting another major round of Government aid paid by the general public, despite the cont. attempts by the unions to convince us of that. The only thing to get back on track is a realistic product in all classes and major cuts.

Another look to the east will reveal how to do it.

I certainly hope that KL/AF is strong enough not to become a slave of some rather obscure Middle East Government owned carrier. It would be sad to see such proud carriers follow the path of airlines like Air Serbia, Air Berlin or Alitalia.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
as usual Air France goes to market with a product that is obsolete (as far as competing with the best) before it's even installed.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by olivedel
I am afraid to tell you that they did not listen to your feedback: the headset is attached.
I think I'll make them a forcible appointment to an ORL. If it were only me, that would be a thing, but complaints about fixed headset problems have been common on FT over the years (and very natural too, for all practical purposes, headsets are essentially not designed to live as long as planes).

Originally Posted by olivedel
Well. They have full privacy towards the aisle, not between each other.
Hmmm... a "50% private" seat does not strike me as quite good enough for P. I hope that as for the new J they give priority window pre-assignments to elite plus members although I doubt that they will.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
PPS: Yep, 'reputational damage' is me I guess. I hope that olivedel and Goldorak are right in their hope that AF will at least ensure consistency in F by introducing the same design on the A380 as I also think it would be unsustainable not to, ...
As an F flyer with AF, EK, LH, SQ, CX and others, I admit to choosing AF whenever possible. They have not the cabin consistency that some might, but La Premiere has without exception been a stellar experience for me in the air. The Lounge and services at CDG are unparalleled for me. At several stations the lounge itself is below par (JNB comes to mind as an excellent example of a poor AF lounge) but the other P services are excellent. I suppose I am an outlier in this, but I understand that precise cabin configurations change and I do not especially mind not having the EK 'over-the-top' and the upcoming EY 'over-the-over-the-top' physical layout.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:40 am

Quite apart from these enhancements, due to AF's poor FFP I tend to fly foreign carriers for travel to Paris. I prefer to fly Asian, US, or gulf carriers whenever it makes sense.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 8, 2014 at 7:48 am
Old May 8, 2014, 7:53 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Looks poor comparing to EY Residence and Apartment concept that was also released this week
Old May 8, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by FD1971

A slightly better product will not save KL/AF from getting another major round of Government aid paid by the general public, despite the cont. attempts by the unions to convince us of that. The only thing to get back on track is a realistic product in all classes and major cuts.
AF/KLM receive no government aid. EU rules strictly prohibit government subsidies to airlines. The merged group has been standing on its own for quite a long time. Allowing for the volatile nature of market conditions it has performed rather well overall.

I must say that the two seats in the centre of the cabin are likely to be really quite odd for two strangers who find themselves sharing what amounts to a sort of airborne tent. Looking at it from that point of view, for a single traveller, this cabin is ONLY worthwhile if you get a window seat. A serious flaw in this design.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by AshleyB
I must say that the two seats in the centre of the cabin are likely to be really quite odd for two strangers who find themselves sharing what amounts to a sort of airborne tent. Looking at it from that point of view, for a single traveller, this cabin is ONLY worthwhile if you get a window seat. A serious flaw in this design.
Indeed, I'm almost thinking that if I was in one of the middle seats and had a stranger next to me, I would have an incentive NOT to draw my curtain because if I did and so did the other person but we had nothing more than the small divider it would feel most awkward to me. And I am a man, for a woman I imagine it would feel even worse.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 8, 2014 at 8:36 am
Old May 8, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Excited to to try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.