Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect AF biz ATL-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Sorry but yes CDG-WAW is PE coded as Y. This ticket is a DL W fare upgraded with SWUs. So OKC-ATL is FC, ATL-CDG is AF biz then CDG-WAW is AF PE.

I just thought it was strange to be so far up front in what SeatGuru calls biz and yet I am put in a middle seat.

When I did the same kind of ticket into CDG and on to IST in April, I was given a PE aisle or window (don't remember) but not a middle seat.

I would like to move to an aisle seat but no help using phone to DL or AF with USA number.

The return (open jaw ticket) from BUD is the same coding but KLM gave me a PE seat when I purchased the ticket (8/9/14) for BUD-AMS then I am on DL medal back to ATL in BE then to OKC in FC.

Anyway so my question is do I push DL to send a message to AF? Do I ask for a seat change in the CDG AF lounge? Must I go early to the CDG-WAW gate to sort out the details?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
Sorry but yes CDG-WAW is PE coded as Y. This ticket is a DL W fare upgraded with SWUs. So OKC-ATL is FC, ATL-CDG is AF biz then CDG-WAW is AF PE.

I just thought it was strange to be so far up front in what SeatGuru calls biz and yet I am put in a middle seat.

When I did the same kind of ticket into CDG and on to IST in April, I was given a PE aisle or window (don't remember) but not a middle seat.

I would like to move to an aisle seat but no help using phone to DL or AF with USA number.

The return (open jaw ticket) from BUD is the same coding but KLM gave me a PE seat when I purchased the ticket (8/9/14) for BUD-AMS then I am on DL medal back to ATL in BE then to OKC in FC.

Anyway so my question is do I push DL to send a message to AF? Do I ask for a seat change in the CDG AF lounge? Must I go early to the CDG-WAW gate to sort out the details?
There is nothing wrong here in the sense that PE is 3x3 seating, so obviously some pax fly in the middle seats. Only business class guarantees you to have the middle seat blocked. If the cabin is not full, then you'll be able to move and end-up with the middle seat free but you cannot bet on this. There is no advance seat selection in PE medium haul, so the seat choice is at check-in. No need to ask DL to send a message to AF for a seat choice, it's just wasting your time. Just see if you can change your seat on-line or see at CDG if there are better seats available.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
On the rest of your query, just echoing all of Goldorak's points above. Most PE customers are travelling solo so getting a middle seat is far from a rarity, and indeed, no point in calling anyone as the flight will be under airport control, so you should just ask at the airport(s) if this can be changed.

AF like most other European airlines uses flexible cabins within Europe, so you can completely ignore seatguru's information on what seat will be what cabin, as C could be anywhere from 0 to about 18 rows on any given plane and the same for W! Only one or two rows would, in my view, not be unusual at all on WAW and despite some others' opposite perceptions, my recent experience has been of small C and W sections on many/most European routes.

Where you are definitely wrong is on KL: there is no premium economy so you are just in plain regular economy there! You may well get economy select which is a few centimetres extra legroom but very much the regular economy cabin. PE on AF is an entirely different matter, it is a separate cabin (although not here to stay as we have no heard it will be discontinued from January).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for these helpful replies. I will try to wait until I board to see about moving to an aisle or at least a window.

In terms of the KLM BUD-AMS coded as DL #9694, according to SeatGuru my assigned seat (6D) is EC aisle. SeatGuru labels this a standard seat whereas biz seats are recliners although pitch/width are the same.

I have only been geting one W/SWU TATL a year so I simply do not remember the AF and KLM cabins and appreciate good advice.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks for these helpful replies. I will try to wait until I board to see about moving to an aisle or at least a window.

In terms of the KLM BUD-AMS coded as DL #9694, according to SeatGuru my assigned seat (6D) is EC aisle. SeatGuru labels this a standard seat whereas biz seats are recliners although pitch/width are the same.

I have only been geting one W/SWU TATL a year so I simply do not remember the AF and KLM cabins and appreciate good advice.
My above answer on SeatGuru and AF's European flights is also valid for SeatGuru and KL. KL uses flexible cabin sizes on all European flights. There is no such thing as business/standard seats they are all the same although KL like many other airlines has slightly larger pitch on front rows (which would include 6). KL usually allow assignments in economy from row 6 onwards in my experience although the cabin may start before or after that row at the end (with assignments changed if need be).

However, as mentioned, even if you are in Economy comfort, this is just plain vanilla economy, the cabin is the same, the service is the same, etc. this is entirely different from AF where Premium Economy is a completely separate cabin with different food, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I am glad that KL EC has better seats than regular economy but disappointed that the meal service will be straight economy.

Thanks again for your response.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

I am glad that KL EC has better seats than regular economy
I wouldn't even say that. The seat is exactly the same, it is just that there is marginal extra space between rows but in my view, absolutely unnoticeable. KL sell those seats forward front within the cabin and I think one would need to be totally nuts to pay for that.

And yes, exactly the same food and drink. Depending on exact flight time, you will have a biscuit/crackers or at best a sandwich (I don't think so on BUD though).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:24 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
I agree that the CDG lounges are good, and, so is AF's Biz food, though certainly not always. But I think you're being a little ungenerous about DL's Biz meals. For sure, their US-Japan their Japanese meals are realy good.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On the rest of your query, just echoing all of Goldorak's points above. Most PE customers are travelling solo so getting a middle seat is far from a rarity, and indeed, no point in calling anyone as the flight will be under airport control, so you should just ask at the airport(s) if this can be changed.

AF like most other European airlines uses flexible cabins within Europe, so you can completely ignore seatguru's information on what seat will be what cabin, as C could be anywhere from 0 to about 18 rows on any given plane and the same for W! Only one or two rows would, in my view, not be unusual at all on WAW and despite some others' opposite perceptions, my recent experience has been of small C and W sections on many/most European routes.

Where you are definitely wrong is on KL: there is no premium economy so you are just in plain regular economy there! You may well get economy select which is a few centimetres extra legroom but very much the regular economy cabin. PE on AF is an entirely different matter, it is a separate cabin (although not here to stay as we have no heard it will be discontinued from January).
AF is going to discontinue PE??? Really??
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by HuwRLewis
AF is going to discontinue PE??? Really??
European W, yes, from January. Long haul W, is staying but not European (there is a thread on that on this forum for more details)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
European W, yes, from January. Long haul W, is staying but not European (there is a thread on that on this forum for more details)
More bad news. I am just off the 777-200 (ATL-CDG) and made out better than expected (4A had to move due to no TV or seat function and 4C/D were also empty) although I know better now which seats appeal more to me personally (like 3C).

I am currently in the CDG 2F lounge near my gate for WAW and do not like this lounge like the one I had in 2E on my way to IST earlier this year. I know PE to WAW will work out okay for me as long as I am really not stuck with a middle seat.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

PE was completely full so I was stuck with a miserable middle seat CDG-WAW. The meal and standing during part of the flight helped me survive.

I contacted KL via Twitter DM who confirmed my aisle seat for BUD-AMS which they advertise as EC despite its obvious shortcomings.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:17 pm

Last week I discovered that AFP was having technical issues with their seat selection part of their site.

I called AF. While it took a while, their very courteous agent got and confirmed the seats I wanted.

Delta couldn't do it because the two sites/systems don't appear to be fully integrated.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
PE was completely full so I was stuck with a miserable middle seat CDG-WAW. The meal and standing during part of the flight helped me survive.
Yes, so horrible things happen in our lifes...
I'm glad you indeed survived
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

When I boarded the flight for WAW, I had been flying for 20 hours. The person to my right was large and thought nothing of invading my space. The person behind me pushed his luggage underneath my seat where I could not rest my feet as I would have liked. I surrended and just stuck my head on the tray and was fortunate the person in front of me did not recline.

If this scenario develops again, I will be quick to seek a resolution with AF long before the day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.