Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a judgement call on foot-placement etiquette...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Looking for a judgement call on foot-placement etiquette...

Ok, I'm going to guess that 80-85% of the feedback here will be the answer "no", and for the record I tend to lean towards "no"... but I think it could be an interesting discussion...

For those of you who have flown on AF Affaires class with the angled-lie flat seats, you'll surely have an opinion here. I believe it's the same product on the B777, A340, and even A380. I've been in this seat on all 3 aircraft.

The seats have a fixed shell, and have a video monitor at eye level. On either side of the monitor is about 6 inches of flat, open space. Far beneath the monitor is the foot-well that you are supposed to put your feet in, which actually gets a little narrow and maybe a little cramped-feeling when the seat is fully reclined.

At least two or three times every flight, I find myself putting my feet up against the shell in front of me, because it feels comfortable. I immediately then recall the myriad discussions here about people putting their feet on the bulkhead, and I yank my legs down in shame.

So, would it be ok to rest your feet "higher up" like that, because it's sort of part of your seat - or is any foot resting above ground level unacceptable? Have at it.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:44 pm

OK by me, just keep your socks on. No bare feet.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tizzette
OK by me, just keep your socks on. No bare feet.
+1
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:03 pm

I don't think this is poor etiquete on one condition, that the vibrations from your feet on the shell are not felt by the passenger in the seat.

Haven't been in this seat yet so I'm not sure but we do have upcoming flights on AF b777. We're in 5A/5B though so no one behind us, this is the back row of the forward biz cabin (board plane turn left)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
MODS, can you please move this to the Air France forum? Even though AF/DL have a joint venture, this literally has nothing to do with Delta.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
MODS, can you please move this to the Air France forum? Even though AF/DL have a joint venture, this literally has nothing to do with Delta.
I suspect the OP might get different answers from the AF forum...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Agreed, this is not a DL specific topic.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Agreed, this is not a DL specific topic.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Then also put it in the right AF forum.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Then also put it in the right AF forum.
Yes... Because as far as I know in KLM Y+ it is allright to put his feets (socks) on the table of your seat in order to bang the front passenger the whole night. Lived it Horrfull
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
I suspect the OP might get different answers from the AF forum...
Well, certainly on the question of socks/no socks which seems to be such a critical issue for our Delta friends - I really don't see what difference it makes or what it has to do with it .
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, certainly on the question of socks/no socks which seems to be such a critical issue for our Delta friends - I really don't see what difference it makes or what it has to do with it .

Socks or no socks (especially no socks!), I'm against passengers using any part of the plane to rest their feet other than their own footrests.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What about resting your feet on the side bins upstairs on the 747 and A380? That's what I do sometimes.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Please note that the setup of the NEV4 biz seat is highly unusual. There is no foot rest on the seat itself, just some fixed foot well as described above. With the fixed shell of the back seat protruding so much in front of you, it is more convenient to put your feet on the back of the fixed shell than on the designated fixed foot well. At least when sitting down and if you are not tall. Weird.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 16, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.