Search

End of July-August strike updates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
End of July-August strike updates

Plusieurs préavis de grève à Air France, du 29 juillet au 8 août

It is not about the pensions but the "bases de province" and the new management.
But the Aug. 5th-8th strike is about the pensions and will affect all French airlines.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
Plusieurs préavis de grève à Air France, du 29 juillet au 8 août

It is not about the pensions but the "bases de province" and the new management.
But the Aug. 5th-8th strike is about the pensions and will affect all French airlines.
In fact :

- maintenance movement (no real union) since 13/06 is about :
* more income mostly (+32points which represents roughly 250EUR/month) for few profiles. AF management says it's impossible to comply with such request as it's very costly financially for the company. Some of the mecanicians are at "technicien" (A) level and earn about 50kEUR/year with the nightly & week-end shifts, which is much more money than most of the "cadres" (C) of AF.

PS: all the information above is from my understanding, so it might not reflect both sides of the discussions.
- cabin crew movement (7 major unions) from 29/07 to 01/08 is about :
* pensions bill that in not in favor of cabin crew and they want the bill to be modified and not applied as it is now ;
* the removal of 1 cabin crew on A319 ;
* the new "leisure" configuration on B772 & B773 that removes the P cabin and has more Y seats, thus removing some P positions which are the more prestigious one.

- cockpit crew movement (2 minor unions) from 29/07 to 01/08 is about :
* the new bases provinces agreement signed by SNPL but not by these 2 unions.

- cockpit crew movement (major unions) from 05/08 to 08/08 is about :
* pensions bill which has been voted and is in favor of cockpit crew but is still not applied.

PS: all the information above is from my understanding. So it's not reflecting either side of the discussions.

Last edited by Mokshu; Jul 19, 2011 at 2:35 am Reason: Added PS
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
As mentioned by GuillaumeD, the strike concerning pensions is not an AF-specific strike as it involves the crew of all airlines in France.

With respect to the announced strikes, this is standard bargaining practice. Hopefully, the issues could be resolved before the strikes take place.

The maintenance strike is the one that really has a significant impact on passengers and the airline.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
As mentioned by GuillaumeD, the strike concerning pensions is not an AF-specific strike as it involves the crew of all airlines in France.

With respect to the announced strikes, this is standard bargaining practice. Hopefully, the issues could be resolved before the strikes take place.

The maintenance strike is the one that really has a significant impact on passengers and the airline.
So the SNPL (pilot strike in August) will affect most of the AF group, including French subsidiaries, while the FA strike will only affect AF mainline.
As far as I can tell, there are very few "French" planes flown by non-AF group, and their pilots are not heavily unionized, so indeed the pilot strike is "technically" not AFgroup-specific, but for all practical purposes we are 95% talking about the AF group.
According to press release, a major issue of the FA strike is the "bases de province". Plus other work conditions on European (A319) and Longhaul (leisure config). At this point where AF has announced the launch of the MRS base, I am afraid that there can be little constructive negociation going on in the next ten days that could make much progress. So the strike by FAs announced by ALL unions looks likely; if they backed down now without substantial results, they would lose credibility.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
I do not know the details of the AF group. But, the pilot strike from Aug. 5th to Aug. 8th will affect all French airlines, eg Transavia France, XL France, Aigle Azur, Air Caraïbes, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by fdelite
Damned! And I am scheduled to leave for Australia on August 8!
As said before too much is too much
That's not confirmed just yet... Any anyway, I think long-haul won't be affected 'that much'...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I'm unfortunately flying FRA-CDG-JFK on July, 29th.

Any thoughts on my chances of getting to JFK on that day?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Irony of all ironies that there are no strikes threatened on AZ so Creber has done his maths correctly!!

Unfortunately I haven't...

2 cents Q here but I'll give it to you anyway.. Assuming the Pilot strike (AUG) goes ahead ROUGHLY what % of

- short haul
- long haul

flights will be running?
Will AF do a BA and actually inform clients pretty accurately of what goes and what doesn't or will these be very very punishing days??

Lots of Ifs I know but they are my hols!!!!!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:02 pm

What happens if my family misses our 1.5 hour connection at CDG (2F to 2E) to ATL on Aug 4 that was booked on Delta assuming all later flights to the US are sold out on the eve of a strike? Will AF or Delta put us up somewhere decent until we get on a plane back to the states? Will we get our luggage at CDG? If we take a Eurostar to London will Delta get us home from there?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: AFFB Silver, BAEC Silver
I won't talk too much as this strike does not impact the PPT base that I am part off but one thing that I have never heard off is the P position !!!
The Leisure market version of the 777 problem is not the fact that there are no more P class on board is that they added seats in Y but removed the P crew or the total amount of crew serving our customers. Same as for the 319.

The rest of what you report is about right.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Hope that is the case - I am flying JNB-CDG-FCO on the 29/30th.

Most of my flights are with KLM. For you frequent AF flyers, what is the likelyhood that the strike happens and will it affect all flights? Or are these the type of questions nobody has answers to (yet)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by manureva744
The Leisure market version of the 777 problem is not the fact that there are no more P class on board is that they added seats in Y but removed the P crew or the total amount of crew serving our customers. Same as for the 319.
Sorry manureva744, I have a difficult time understanding your text (probably my poor english language). Could you explain what is happening in terms of crew when a leisure 777 is operated rather than a 77W with P class. Actually, do we have info on crew size on various versions of the 777 (from 772 with P to 77W leisure)?

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 20, 2011 at 6:50 am Reason: [ added to the ending QUOTE clause for clarity
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry manureva744, I have a difficult time understanding your text (probably my poor english language). Could you explain what is happening in terms of crew when a leisure 777 is operated rather than a 77W with P class. Actually, do we have info on crew size on various versions of the 777 (from 772 with P to 77W leisure)?
777-300ER / Config 42J 24W 317Y = 383 seats
13 cabin crew members (1 CCP, 2 CC, 11 HOT/STW)
1 cabin crew member for 30 passengers approximately.

777-300ER / Config 8P 67J 28W 200Y = 300 seats
15 cabin crew members (1 CCP, 2 CC, 12 HOT/STW)
1 cabin crew member for 20 passengers.

777-200ER / Config 35J 24W 250Y = 309 seats
11 cabin crew members (1 CCP, 2 CC, 8 HOT/STW)
1 cabin crew member for 28 passengers approximately.

777-200ER / Config 4P 49J 24W 170Y = 247 seats
12 cabin crew members (1 CCP, 2 CC, 9 HOT/STW)
1 cabin crew member for 20 passengers approximately.

Last edited by Mokshu; Jul 20, 2011 at 2:47 am
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
...and the obvious question: what are those various ranks?

CCP (I assume Chef de Cabine/Purser, as there's only 1)
CC = ?
HOT/STW = hôte(sse)/host(ess)/steward(ess)?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
...and the obvious question: what are those various ranks?

CCP (I assume Chef de Cabine/Purser, as there's only 1)
CC = ?
HOT/STW = hôte(sse)/host(ess)/steward(ess)?
Almost exact:
CCP = Chef de Cabine Principal / Chief Purser
CC = Chef de Cabine / Purser
HOT/STW = Hôtesse/Steward / Hostess/Steward

I do not know the exact dispatch between number of purser/hotess/steward per cabin. I'll try to gather information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.