Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of July-August strike updates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by manureva744
Also, checked our employee pages and the unions are reporting that the talks are heading towards a rather good way and 3 out of the 5 issues raised by the unions are now resolved. Cross fingers all will agree to lift the strike.
Just checked them too and the only remaining items are the most important one imho: the A319 issue and th B773/B772 leisure configuration

Anyway, thanks manureva744 for all the information you reported. I'm always happy to see staff feeling positive about their job and with the will to share their experience.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by creber
I
To come back on topic (apologies for stepping away and thanks to the moderators for tolerating it):

Is there any experience about how longhaul flights from CDG that leave on the morning after the last strike day are impacted? It usually takes a bit of time to get things back in order with all the displaced crews and planes, and the mechanics situation doesn't help. But what has been the experience in the past? I am asking because one of my family members has a flight CDG-YUL on the morning of August 2.

Thanks
I think that the experience with long (4 days) strike is that crews plan to get home as much as possible, rather than getting stranded in a bad place the day before the strike. I once flew longhaulon the first day of the strike and was told that they were working only to get back home but supported the strike (actually they had a couple of days off after the flight so they never "struck"). This is a bit different from situations arising from natural causes (volcanic ash, closure of CDG due to snow,...). I would think that a CDG-YUL on morning of August 2 is "safer" than a TLV-CDG at same time.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Likelihood of Cancellation

I am flying JFK-CDG in C on July 31 on AF 007 and then back from CDG to JFK on August 7 on AF 006.

What is the likelihood that these flights might be cancelled due to the strikes?

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:35 pm

travelling from LHR via CDG on 25 July to Abu Dhabi, back on 31 July to LHR via CDG am i going to be affected.

Thanks for all help.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I am flying JFK-CDG in C on July 31 on AF 007 and then back from CDG to JFK on August 7 on AF 006.

What is the likelihood that these flights might be cancelled due to the strikes?
Originally Posted by jasdee
travelling from LHR via CDG on 25 July to Abu Dhabi, back on 31 July to LHR via CDG am i going to be affected.

Thanks for all help.
Hi guys. Nobody knows which flights will be affected and even if there will be any impact. As said by Manureva744 and Mokshu, talks between unions and AF management are progressing well. So who knows, the strike might be simply cancelled. I hope for this of course as I'm flying BOS-CDG during this period. So just relax and have a glass of wine (or a coffee at the time I'm writing )
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Hi guys. Nobody knows which flights will be affected and even if there will be any impact. As said by Manureva744 and Mokshu, talks between unions and AF management are progressing well. So who knows, the strike might be simply cancelled. I hope for this of course as I'm flying BOS-CDG during this period. So just relax and have a glass of wine (or a coffee at the time I'm writing )
Phew! That's a relief.

I think I'm going to break out my best bottle of Grande Cuvée Grèves (not Graves) Château Marchais...it is clearly a...red.

Oh, and the vintage? 1968, of course.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 22, 2011 at 6:11 am
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
L'Express

La direction rédige le texte final et procède, à la demande de Pierre-Henri Gourgeon (le directeur général) à des simulations financières, mais nous sommes tombés d'accord par rapport à nos revendications", a déclaré à l'AFP Philippe Sportes, délégué Unsa, l'un des trois principaux syndicats chez le personnel navigant commercial (PNC, hôtesses et stewards).
According to the head of one of the major unions representing flight attendants, an agreement has been reached with AF management on the remaining contentious issues. The draft agreement should be submitted shortly by AF management for signature by the unions.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:42 am
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
L'Express

According to the representative of one of the major unions representing flight attendants, an agreement has been reached with AF management on the remaining contentious issues. The draft agreement should be submitted shortly by AF management for signature by the unions.
Reading the French text, it appears that nothing is solved. Both parties simply agree to take more time to "negociate" (a magic French word).
As Jouy31 pointed out above, there were also some "lunatics" at BA unions. But BA took a different path and confronted the unions. So there has been a lot of strike threat, legal action and some actual strikes. But BA management has basically won; it created some badwill among some FAs but BA obtained the major reorganization (and financial benefits) it was seeking. By constantly yielding to unions, AF is making very slow progress. It is basically offering pax a low quality product at high labor cost.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:58 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by brunos
Reading the French text, it appears that nothing is solved. Both parties simply agree to take more time to "negociate" (a magic French word).
Indeed, but for people travelling during the next week-end, it does mean that the threat of heavy disruptions due to a flight attendant strike is moving away.

Signature of the final agreement is expected to take place at a meeting between management and the unions today at 1100 (local).

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 23, 2011 at 2:44 am
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Indeed, but for people travelling during the next week-end, it does mean that the threat of heavy disruptions due to a flight attendant strike is moving away.

Signature of the final agreement is expected to take place at a meeting between management and the unions today at 1100 (local).
Indeed, that is good news.

Seen from abroad, it is a bit hard to understand the symbolic of union/management at AF (maybe in France in general). With mature negotiating parties one would not have to go through this customary witchcraft dance of announcing strikes and then reaching an agreement most of the times. While it is accepted as symbolic practice in France, AF management should be aware that it is badly hurting them among foreign clients who have choices. Common sense would dictate that either they negotiate beforehand or stand firm once the battle line is drawn.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:01 am

confirmed: flight attendant strike cancelled

Europe 1

Les hôtesses et stewards ont levé samedi leur préavis de grève.

Soulagement pour les passagers d'Air France. Les syndicats d'hôtesses et de stewards ont levé samedi leur préavis de grève, prévu du 29 juillet au 1er août
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
Strike called off....

Good news. It looks like the Air France strike has been called off.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76M05320110723
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let's now focus on the iplots strike early august !
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Did you know that two minority pilot-unions (SPAF and Alter) will be on strike from July 29th to Aug 1st?
This "préavis de grève" is about the "bases de province" as they disagree with AF management.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
Did you know that two minority pilot-unions (SPAF and Alter) will be on strike from July 29th to Aug 1st?
This "préavis de grève" is about the "bases de province" as they disagree with AF management.
Yes, but the strikes of these unions have usually resulted in very few, if any, flight cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.