Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by AsiaMission
I need your inputs, please help with your wisdoms.
I am done with my travel for the 2012, and going to be short of 24 status miles to reach E-50K next year. Do I have to go on a mileage run just for 24 miles? or cross my fingers for AE to give me E50K? Many thanks for your inputs.
Check out the FAQ on top.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...us-anyway.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Up!

Is that time of the year again....
I'm not going to lie... I found this forum googling "If I'm 800 miles short of my Air Canada Status will I get it anyway?"

However, I'm only going to make a joke about it not ask.

How about this - what is the cheapest in-canada flight you can take out of Montreal to slay about 800 miles?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBishop
I'm not going to lie... I found this forum googling "If I'm 800 miles short of my Air Canada Status will I get it anyway?"

However, I'm only going to make a joke about it not ask.

How about this - what is the cheapest in-canada flight you can take out of Montreal to slay about 800 miles?
Key question, do you already have status? YUL-YTZ is frequently on sale, but it's only ~300 miles each way so it doesn't work if you don't already have status and get the 500 minimum.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Originally Posted by rehoult
Key question, do you already have status? YUL-YTZ is frequently on sale, but it's only ~300 miles each way so it doesn't work if you don't already have status and get the 500 minimum.
He must have status ... that's why they call him "Mister".
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know the current Prestige and Elite emails for asking for consideration when you are short miles?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 pm

Status Appeals and experience

Hi All,

First time poster here, but longtime reader. Curious to know if anyone has experience with the appeals process for status? I'm going to end the year at 49,966 miles and i'm curious to know if they'd typically bump me up to the Altitude 50k, being that I'm missing status this tier by 34 miles :/

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
In the past there have been numerous stories here of people who were very "close" getting bumped up to that next level.

Having said that, this year is a whole new ball game because they've expanded from three to five levels and administration of the program has changed. As a result, I would not assume that past behaviour will govern things this year.

If based on your travel plans 50K status is important to you, I'd advise finding a way to take one more status earning flight prior to Dec 31 - if it's not critical, then sit tight and see what happens.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by The Lev
Having said that, this year is a whole new ball game because they've expanded from three to five levels and administration of the program has changed. As a result, I would not assume that past behaviour will govern things this year.
You know, the way things are going on this board I'm expecting posts to start showing up saying:

"I'm currently at 50,124 status miles, and I'm worried that this isn't enough buffer. Should I do a MR just to be safe? Who should I email to ensure that AC doesn't decide I'm too close to the line and drop me down to E35?"
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:52 pm

Are you sure about that? I thought when they launched that round of penny pinching that they exempted FF's as well as the rapidair routes?

Yep; I am right

This policy does not impact Air Canada Super Elite, Elite and Prestige members, or customers travelling on Rapidair flights between Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montreal or Ottawa, or between Toronto City Airport and Montreal as they continue to earn a minimum of 500 Aeroplan Miles, varies according to the type of fare option purchased1.
So if your only 800 miles away; there may be 'cheaper' ways of getting it; but consider your time/gas/parking etc; I would say YYZ/YTZ are the best options from YUL.

Example

Montreal (YUL) to Toronto (YTZ) - Sat, Dec 29
Air Canada 7503 Dep: 7:30AM Arr: 8:40AM 1h 10m De Havilland Dash-8 Economy (T)
OPERATED BY AIR CANADA EXPRESS - SKY REGIONAL

Toronto (YTZ) to Montreal (YUL) - Sat, Dec 29
Air Canada 7506 Dep: 9:15AM Arr: 10:25AM 1h 10m De Havilland Dash-8 Economy (T)
OPERATED BY AIR CANADA EXPRESS - SKY REGIONAL

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) CA$463.23
Total cost for 1 passenger CA$463.23

Last edited by hearna; Dec 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
"I'm currently at 50,124 status miles, and I'm worried that this isn't enough buffer. Should I do a MR just to be safe? Who should I email to ensure that AC doesn't decide I'm too close to the line and drop me down to E35?"
50,000 is 50,000 so once you are over you are good. My son will cross over on Dec 23 for 35,347 miles on UA for Elite lite and I am good with that. Don't spend extra if there is no need IMHO!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
50,000 is 50,000 so once you are over you are good. My son will cross over on Dec 23 for 35,347 miles on UA for Elite lite and I am good with that. Don't spend extra if there is no need IMHO!
I have organised my travel to land at 100,041 miles. I am already at 121 segments; just figured I am within reach of 30 credits; might as well go for it
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Are you sure about that? I thought when they launched that round of penny pinching that they exempted FF's as well as the rapidair routes?

Yep; I am right

So if your only 800 miles away; there may be 'cheaper' ways of getting it; but consider your time/gas/parking etc; I would say YYZ/YTZ are the best options from YUL.

Example
Good to know. I'm western based so I had never heard of that.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Good to know. I'm western based so I had never heard of that.
Don't feel bad. I'm YYZ based and hadn't heard of that either.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
About 300 miles short of E50K

Hi Everyone:

This is my first post here, although I've been following for quite a while and am grateful for the wealth of information you provide.

Yesterday I was scheduled to fly SFO-YVR-YYZ (AC 563 and AC8), a trip that would put me over the 50K threshhold for the year. However, since AC 8 was delayed by about 4 hours, I was put on AC 738 SFO-YYZ direct leaving me at about 49,700 miles for the year with no travel planned until Jan 1. I needed to be in YYZ at a decent time (and ideally somewhat rested) for engagements this morning.

My question is (1) whether or not AC might give me E50K anyway due to the circumstances? and (2) Who can I contact at AC to explain my situation?

After all, I did have a ticket to put me over the threshold and it was only the reroute that left me slightly short. Definitely don't want to be stuck in watered down E35

Looking forward to your relpies.....
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MB24
My question is (1) whether or not AC might give me E50K anyway due to the circumstances? and (2) Who can I contact at AC to explain my situation?
My understanding is that officially AC credits mileage based on the actual routing flown, regardless of IRROPs. My experience (and that of others on this board) suggests you may have luck contacting them, but of course YMMV.

I would just use the online form on the AC website and attach your receipt with the original routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.