Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
The real question you need to ask yourself: would you be ok with E35K knowing that you flown 49800 (and could have flown 50300)?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by hearna
NO, THEY WILL NOT

Earn your status like the rest of us!
They did to me and I am not sure I am not the only one. But I do agree that depends where you are based if you are based out west a quick trip around YUL/YYZ etc... is not that expensive to do and will guarantee it
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:19 am

I was in the same position with Mrs Haz a couple of years ago and decided not to take the risk: a Saturday morning OW trip YYZ - YXU got her over the limit by 35 miles.

Dropped her off at Pearson, drove down the 401, and was at the London terminal to watch her taxi in. 250 AQMs: no fuss, no muss.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:21 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alexbc
or should I add one extra stupid leg to cover that 200 miles?!
Am I the only one who takes offense with OP's description of an extra segment added to earn more miles/status as "stupid"?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I was in the same position with Mrs Haz a couple of years ago and decided not to take the risk: a Saturday morning OW trip YYZ - YXU got her over the limit by 35 miles.

Dropped her off at Pearson, drove down the 401, and was at the London terminal to watch her taxi in. 250 AQMs: no fuss, no muss.
That's love right there
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
That's love right there
+1!^

Anywho, short of 250 miles is still short of 250 miles. They may or may NOT give you status of 50K. And if they don't give you status, they will easily say minimum requirement is AT LEAST 50,000 AQM and not 'approximately' 50K AQM... Wouldn't take the risk if I were you
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Am I the only one who takes offense with OP's description of an extra segment added to earn more miles/status as "stupid"?
Well, the OP is entitled to his opinion even if we don't like it.

To the OP: Do the extra segment. I've been in similar situation in 2007 and I didn't get the status. Since then I make sure that I have enough miles (segments in last 2 years) to qualify.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Why not call AC to ask. If the rep tells you yes then you do not need to add a leg.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Why not call AC to ask. If the rep tells you yes then you do not need to add a leg.
Sorry but I would not suggest this at all...Best to follow T&C's instead of relying on a rep who may give you incorrect information.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
No rep has any authority to do this which would be handled with marketing. You will almost certainly get a blanker no because front line have little discretion so presume it is the same for everyone else, or a more knowledgable rep may give a qualified no/maybe.

I have no problem with OP's terminology, I had to take flights away from AC to go through PHL to connect to go from 49,500 to 50,200 in planning my year end. Absurd to take $$ form AC to get AC status. I am pretty sure they would have given me and would give OP but I was not prepared to work on that assumption so LHR-PHL-DCA-YYZ it is. Schedule allows me time to pop into a favourite restaurant in DC as an added bonus. I would have preferred to go AC and would have given them a few bucks to buy the 500 status miles instead f the merry dance.

As it is, I am still now debating whether once passed 35k, I should not just feed the other 15k straight into A3 as a head start and 80% of the way to *G which is the only great utility of E50 left.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:57 am

They might out of the goodness of their corporate heart, but why take the chance. Add a leg and make sure you are over.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cana2013
What do you think? Answer will be that it takes 50k, end of the story. Even though in the end, it's quite likely that so close to the limit, the OP will get it.

Still, I would not take a chance. Adding one leg is nothing. I once came back from YYZ to YYC via FRA to make sure I would renew my SE status.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
This could be an excellent revenue opp for AC...
Take an absolute hard line (no gifting anyone close) on qualification requirements, however offer anyone within 500 miles of a given tier to 'top up' status miles for some TBD per mile price. (maybe $2/status mile?) with perhaps a minimum charge depending on the tier.

Basically they would get extra money from anyone they may have gifted anyway, and removes all subjectivity from the process. If you really want the status, there would be no pleading your case, either take the extra flight or ante up.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hazcaddy

Wow. I'd have told her to take a bus.

Who am I kidding. I would have gone with her
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by alexbc
I think I have one last flight of the year on *A (US Air + AC), and my best calculation shows that I'd get to 49,700-49,800 miles. Do you guys think AC would give me Elite 50 next year? or should I add one extra stupid leg to cover that 200 miles?!
I'd say there's a good chance they would. I got E35 this year with 34,700 status miles. As others have mentioned, if you want to be certain, you're best to do the extra leg, but if you're a gambler, I'd say you've got decent odds they'll 'round up.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.