FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/998088-i-am-x-miles-segments-dollars-short-status-will-ac-give-anyway.html)

zorn Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am

I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Every year this question is asked many times:

I am X miles short of [some status threshold] and I have no further travel plans. Will AC give me the status anyway?

The complete answer is always exactly the same:

In many, if not most, previous years, Air Canada has indeed given status to people who came close. "How close" is not usually made public and could very well change from year to year. It can also depend on your status history with Air Canada. They are under no obligation to cut you any slack, so if the status level is important to you, you should fly the miles to guarantee it.

Always. Exactly. The. Same.

You are not different, you are not special, and the fundamental fact about Santa Claus can be found by dragging your mouse over the following text: Kids love Santa Claus!

RCyyz Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Another analogy is that of a test which requires a score of 50% or higher to pass.

Q: If I get 48% do I pass the test?
A: No. You fail.

Q: If I get 49% do I pass the test?

Q: If I get 49.5% do I pass the test?

P/E/SE all have clearly established thresholds. You should expect to meet or exceed those thresholds to make P/E/SE.

bub_lee Sep 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Agreed. That question is getting annoying...especially since a simple search on this forum will generate several answers.

tcook052 Sep 23, 2009 12:11 pm

This applies to the threads with similar questions about requalifying for an elite level despite being 10/100/1000 Q miles short despite years as an elite.

lcohen999 Sep 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Sticky, please!

yyz_atc_lj Sep 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Well they did lower elite qualifying to 27K for me a few years back, so anything is possible.

zorn Sep 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj (Post 12426717)
Well they did lower elite qualifying to 27K for me a few years back, so anything is possible.

That is included in the universal answer contained in the OP.

To repeat:

Always the same.

In a new font:

Always the same!

Different font, bigger, and a new colour:

Always the same.

zorn Nov 23, 2010 11:21 am

always!

the!

same!

FrequentFlyerYYZ Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

What about Y miles short?

The OP used X miles short in their example. However, I'm actually Y miles short. Will that make a difference?

VolcanoMan Nov 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ (Post 15256038)
The OP used X miles short in their example. However, I'm actually Y miles short. Will that make a difference?

LOL!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

made my day...

Jagboi Nov 23, 2010 12:32 pm

However, I'm actually Y miles short. Will that make a difference?

Yes, and J miles are different again:D

global happy traveller Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

they did give me Elite with 0 status miles one year..... ^

what was the experience? oohhh its like having a beer with 2MMiler

zorn Oct 14, 2011 8:48 am

It's coming up to that time of year again, and the new and improved zorn doctrine now includes preemptive strikes!

The answer this year remains...

Always!

The!

Same!

So don't embarrass yourself by asking what I know you are thinking.

Away from YYZ Oct 14, 2011 8:57 am

According to OP's question. if X<=0, you will earn your status. It make senses for computers but not English senses.. ;)

Q: if you are X status miles short of P/E/SE, where X>0, will AC give status anyway?
A: RTFF (Read The Friendly Forum) or do a mileage run before end of the year.

Away from YYZ Oct 14, 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 15256221)
Yes, and J miles are different again:D

And no, you cannot max out your credit card doing 'holiday season' shopping to make up the delta. Those are not status miles. However flying T+ to visit your family members will earn you status miles toward your status.