Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by yyjregular
As an interesting side note, I just compleated an aircanada survery and some of the questions were around the ability to purchse status miles with cash or points if you were within 10k of the next status level. There we also some questions about purchsing additional e-upgrade credits.
Does anybody have the link to the AC surveys. I had registered but now can't find the url. You can PM me since I know these were not widely available.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
Every year this question is asked many times:

I am X miles short of [some status threshold] and I have no further travel plans. Will AC give me the status anyway?

The complete answer is always exactly the same:

In many, if not most, previous years, Air Canada has indeed given status to people who came close. "How close" is not usually made public and could very well change from year to year. It can also depend on your status history with Air Canada. They are under no obligation to cut you any slack, so if the status level is important to you, you should fly the miles to guarantee it.

Always. Exactly. The. Same.

You are not different, you are not special, and the fundamental fact about Santa Claus can be found by dragging your mouse over the following text: Kids love Santa Claus!
I'm way over the Elite qualifying amount but 600 miles short of the newly required AC 10,000 use our metal miles. I wouldn't chance it. I booked a flight as a mileage run to get the AC miles out of the way -- why, dunno as I think 2012 benefits will suck even more than this year. If that is even possible. Dread to even know what 2012-2013 further un-enhancements will be.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by travelblond
I'm way over the Elite qualifying amount but 600 miles short of the newly required AC 10,000 use our metal miles. I wouldn't chance it. I booked a flight as a mileage run to get the AC miles out of the way -- why, dunno as I think 2012 benefits will suck even more than this year. If that is even possible. Dread to even know what 2012-2013 further un-enhancements will be.
Do you have more than the minimum of 5 segments on AC metal? It's an either - or, not an and. i.e. you can be short of the status miles but over the number of segments and still qualify.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC E35/BA Bronze
Doing a good bit of traveling at the end of this month:

GDL - IAH - LHR (UA)
LHR - IAD - LGA (UA)
LGA - YYZ - YVR (AC)

I've got 29k status miles at the moment but not enough AC status points & segments. The trip above was booked thru United, will I still get credit for the LGA - YYZ - YVR segments as they are on AC metal? Or because it wasn't directly booked thru AC it wont count?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, generally speaking new to the FF game!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by yxxmike
Doing a good bit of traveling at the end of this month:

GDL - IAH - LHR (UA)
LHR - IAD - LGA (UA)
LGA - YYZ - YVR (AC)

I've got 29k status miles at the moment but not enough AC status points & segments. The trip above was booked thru United, will I still get credit for the LGA - YYZ - YVR segments as they are on AC metal? Or because it wasn't directly booked thru AC it wont count?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, generally speaking new to the FF game!
AC metal is all that matters. How you book doesn't matter as long as you're booked in a fare bucket to accumulates miles. Similarly, if you booked an AC codeshare on UA metal on AC.com it wouldn't count.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
AC metal is all that matters. How you book doesn't matter as long as you're booked in a fare bucket to accumulates miles. Similarly, if you booked an AC codeshare on UA metal on AC.com it wouldn't count.
Thanks rehoult! Just wanted to make sure that I crack the Elite status before the year is out!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Finnair Plus, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
But my situation is differnet. Because of IRROPS, I am over the threshold by 274 miles. Can I get a refund or will they credit me and allow me to be 274 short next year?
Heh.. I didn't think I was going to get any status this year, but based on my calculations (IRROPS aside), I should be a whopping 23 miles over the P threshold...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Not quite 100% true. If the LGA-YYZ-YVR trip was booked as a codeshare with UA then the OP needs to beware that the UA fare could map to a Tango fare (although unlikely on transborder, although who knows on the domestic segment). If status miles are not earned, IIRC the flights will not count towards 2012 top tier status.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Not quite 100% true. If the LGA-YYZ-YVR trip was booked as a codeshare with UA then the OP needs to beware that the UA fare could map to a Tango fare (although unlikely on transborder, although who knows on the domestic segment). If status miles are not earned, IIRC the flights will not count towards 2012 top tier status.
It's showing as a AC flight number, but because it's UA they wont show the booking code. The rest of the segments are booked under a "K" booking class.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by yxxmike
It's showing as a AC flight number, but because it's UA they wont show the booking code. The rest of the segments are booked under a "K" booking class.
Just to confirm, are you booked on flights as "AC XXX" or "UA YYY operated by AC XXX"?

If you are booked on AC XXX then you are likely OK as AC doesn't typically sell Tango fares on transborder. If you are booked on UA YYY (operated by AC XXX) then there could be a problem earning status miles, but even then it is not likely.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Up!

Is that time of the year again....
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
24 miles short of 50K in 2013

I need your inputs, please help with your wisdoms.
I am done with my travel for the 2012, and going to be short of 24 status miles to reach E-50K next year. Do I have to go on a mileage run just for 24 miles? or cross my fingers for AE to give me E50K? Many thanks for your inputs.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Fly it- why trust the whims of an algorithm when you can rest easy. If you push over the ocean, you can even hit the 60 K threshold e-ups good thru 2014.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:54 pm

For some reason, I feel like AC/AE won't be comp up-ing anyone's status this for 2013. Their 50% bonus status miles promotion was pretty nice already...
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Do a run, once they match Porter there should be some very cheap fares. They aren't going to tell you in advance if they will forgive you a few miles and you will certainly regret it if you spend the whole year as an E- for 24 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.