Wiki Posts
Search

Who needs a mileage run from YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Interesting. When you check DFW-YUL-DFW, fare is $70 each way. When you check YUL-DFW-YUL, fare is $61! Wonder why the difference.

Sorry RiG, no aces up my sleeve.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Interesting. When you check DFW-YUL-DFW, fare is $70 each way. When you check YUL-DFW-YUL, fare is $61! Wonder why the difference.

Sorry RiG, no aces up my sleeve.
I've noticed this kind of pricing for a while now. I believe it was done to close the "gst" loophole. ie. Where you could save a few bucks by booking as two separate 1 ways, thus avoiding gst on the return from the US. Whereas if you booked as a RT ex-Canada, gst was owing on the entire fare. ie. OW+OW<RT.

They just made ex-US pricing a few bucks more to compensate and make the total trip fare ~identical. OW+OW=RT.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

O...K....

But on a YUL-DFW-YUL ticket, the fed govt pockets the GST. On a DFW-YUL-DFW ticket, AC pockets the equivalent to the GST. Why do they feel that the customer needs to pay the tax equivalent when flying out of the U.S.?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
O...K....

But on a YUL-DFW-YUL ticket, the fed govt pockets the GST. On a DFW-YUL-DFW ticket, AC pockets the equivalent to the GST. Why do they feel that the customer needs to pay the tax equivalent when flying out of the U.S.?
Because it gives them another revenue stream, I'm sure. If there is $20 to be prevented from going to the feds, they prefer it goes into their pocket rather than mine. :|

$10-30 for each OW segment ex-us adds up.

Although, wouldn't that make them $10-30 bucks higher on routes where they have competition? Perhaps they are thinking of a way to break it out as a surcharge if they could so it wouldn't need to show up in the base fare. They could call it the "Canadian Equalization Surcharge"
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:43 pm
RiG

Thumbs up

FYI - YUL-YYZ-DFW-YYZ-YUL for 52$ each way (using the discount codes on FT)...
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Discount codes???

I see the making of a new thread here
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
Discount codes???

I see the making of a new thread here
No need to. They're already here:

Delta discount code

Amex discount code
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by RiG
FYI - YUL-YYZ-DFW-YYZ-YUL for 52$ each way (using the discount codes on FT)...
Wow! $225 All in from YVR via YYZ! Maybe I'll do this every weekend it is available so I can reach SE. $2,250 is not bad for SE really.

Last edited by YVR72; Oct 25, 2008 at 7:21 pm
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC*E
ARG!
I just booked a SEA-SFO-BWI-DEN-SEA for $261 a few days ago!
I could have done YVR-DEN-DFW-YYZ-YVR for $235 and not had to pay to park at SeaTac!!!!

Ah well, lesson learned - always ask on FT before I book a MR
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Expiry date extended again - now purchase by on/before Oct 26
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:25 am

Red face YVR MR

VERY interesting news re the extended date; I thought I'd missed this opportunity because my subscription to this thread wasn't updating properly.

-- BUT --

would someone please be so kind to guide me through the YVR MR using the discounts etc... I confess to some confusion on the booking techniques as well as the window for travel.

Many thanks for any assistance, fellow FT'ers; particularly Margarita Girl for being totally on the case!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:00 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by sky guy
VERY interesting news re the extended date; I thought I'd missed this opportunity because my subscription to this thread wasn't updating properly.

-- BUT --

would someone please be so kind to guide me through the YVR MR using the discounts etc... I confess to some confusion on the booking techniques as well as the window for travel.

Many thanks for any assistance, fellow FT'ers; particularly Margarita Girl for being totally on the case!
Just go to AC.com or expedia - routings offered include YYZ
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by sky guy

-- BUT --

Paying with an Amex you can make your booking on AirCanada.com using "Promotion Code" UQYT9CR1. Your travel must be complete by Dec 13.

If you use this code, each segment should be $52 from YVR. If you are using this as a mileage run (and want an enjoyable flight) pick the AC operated flights through YYZ rather than SFO, DEN or ORD so you max miles (6568 is the total).
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:38 am

plus AP has a 50% bonus miles (non-status) promo between YVR-YYZ-YVR which brings the total AP miles even higher.....

One needs to register for this promo......

Cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AC 25K
I just can't get anywhere to throw in the sfo connection that seems legal and available (according to ita) and would make it worth doing for me. Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.