Who needs a mileage run from YVR?

Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Who needs a mileage run from YVR?

It's getting to be that time of year when people start panicking about achieving status for next year. Typical answer is try to find something out of BUF for Toronto people or SEA for Vancouver people. You have to fly on UA or US Air with little likelihood of an upgrade which makes the MR all the more painful.

AC currently has a $79 fare from YVR to DFW for many dates in November which works out to $277 all in round trip. You can route this through YYZ for a total of 6544 status miles and it's all on AC metal, so upgradeable with SSWU. It works out to 4.2 cpm which is a little higher than the 3 cpm standard set in the MR forum, but I would pay (a lot) more for an MR on AC metal which is upgradeable.

And if you already have E or SE status, you can earn 50-100% bonus on the miles. Plus there is currently a 50% bonus on flights between YVR and YYZ valid until Dec 15. So a SE could net a total of 15,166 miles for this MR (6544 status miles + 6544 SE bonus + 2078 fall bonus). Subtract 5% if you have a coupon for non-working IFE and you've got a heck of a deal!

BTW, this is posted in the MR forum, but I thought it would get better visibility here for Aeroplan members.

Happy status hunting!

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 8, 2008 at 6:07 am
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Once more, you are my source of inspiration.
Merci ^
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:12 am

Also YUL-DEN

Another one in the MR forum is YUL-DEN-YUL for $350 rt ai, which can be routed via YVR. Total mileage is around 6788, for $0.0516 / mile, or as low as $0.0237 if you are SE and take all bonuses into account for 14796 miles.

Ends today, though, and requires an overnight in DEN.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Once more, you are my source of inspiration.
Merci ^
De rien.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thanks for the heads up. ^
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC SE
Thanks for the info! For a newbie like me, it's always great to read something and fully understand it.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by bub_lee
Thanks for the info! For a newbie like me, it's always great to read something and fully understand it.
Yes, MG came a long way. She did not reveal where she graduated but her posts are very articulate, to the point and sometimes even funny. And, if you ask, she may even answer en francais. Well, you never know.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
It appears that this deal is long gone....I don't seem to get the $79 fares anymore
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not long gone, but gone. I was still getting $79 on YVR fares last night and $86 on YYC fares.

Congrats to those who managed who managed to nab one.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Not long gone, but gone. I was still getting $79 on YVR fares last night and $86 on YYC fares.

Thanks again MG! I don't know what the hell I'm going to do in Dallas, but I'm going to get those bonus miles and thats all that matters!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Southfork Ranch anyone?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: Several
I mulled this over in my head - do a couple YYC/DFW runs to get my status up. Last night looked at some flights. Got up this morning ready to book and UUGGGHH.... oh well - I waited too long LOL

If anyone finds anything else out of YYC feel free to let me know! hehehe

I'm trying to get up points in November since I'm away all of December in Australia.

Cheers!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E
I booked one! YYC - DFW Nov 19, return Nov 21. 2870 miles one way, 1539 the other, plus bonus on AC of 1435 for a total 5844 for $275. I little high at 4.7cpm - BUT we have planned this so that we can go to the COLDPLAY concert!
Very excited - thanks MG for finding this for us!!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:58 pm

Location: x-17 yr AC*SE100 1MM, now E50 Gold :(, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Yadayadayada
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Yup...Late last night I got the $277 fare in Expedia...was clicking through to the final payment window and as it was confirming...it stated "fare change" and came back with a $580+ fare.... I noticed that my transaction was occurring right at midnight! My guess is that I popped out of the fare time window right as i clicked confirm. I tried a bunch of other dates at that point and they had all changed up to $580+.

Hmmmm.... this year may be the first time I miss the SE by 4k-5k miles.... I'll keep looking.... :>

Last edited by yvrdude; Oct 10, 2008 at 2:59 pm Reason: Update - I just noticed in the MR forum someone stated that the DFW is back as of this morning...
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
I think i will requalify this year at SE --been there since the beginning-- but until i got 2 additional european business trips recently i was not sure.

Its been interesting watching these MR ideas, and thanks to those who bring them here to the AC part of the forum as i find the specialized MR part a bit overwhelming.

If i do need a MR --which i now doubt-- are there ever any for carribean out of Toronto or montreal? i would stay a few days so it may not strictly be a MR, but same idea.

BTW, i really do not understand the MR idea of comming right back. Almost all destinations have something of interest. For the person wondering what to do in Dallas -- well Fort Worth is an old west town with a daily cattle run and great stake houses. Surely worth a day. And Margaritta Girl, i remember reading about your Japan MR. I cannot recall if it was Toyko --real easy to spend a day or 2 there-- or Osaka --several days in Kyoto are great--but i do not understand why folks do not leverage off these as the person going to see cold play is. Why the in /out? Surely we all have hotel points too that can cover a night or 2. And if you have to pay for hotel you still get value from what you see and break the journey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.