Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who needs a mileage run from YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
BTW, i really do not understand the MR idea of comming right back. Almost all destinations have something of interest.
Nothing wrong with staying a while at your destination but the definition of a MR is flying just for the miles and nothing else.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ramsfan
If i do need a MR --which i now doubt-- are there ever any for carribean out of Toronto or montreal? i would stay a few days so it may not strictly be a MR, but same idea.

BTW, i really do not understand the MR idea of comming right back. Almost all destinations have something of interest. For the person wondering what to do in Dallas -- well Fort Worth is an old west town with a daily cattle run and great stake houses. Surely worth a day. And Margaritta Girl, i remember reading about your Japan MR. I cannot recall if it was Toyko --real easy to spend a day or 2 there-- or Osaka --several days in Kyoto are great--but i do not understand why folks do not leverage off these as the person going to see cold play is. Why the in /out? Surely we all have hotel points too that can cover a night or 2. And if you have to pay for hotel you still get value from what you see and break the journey.
Can't say that I've seen a good Caribbean MR from AC (might find something out of Buffalo on UA or US), but there was a great deal to Hawaii in Sept on AC.

In my case, I would have liked to have spent more time in Osaka, but I had a very tight work schedule and there was a limited number of dates when the fare was available, plus I prefer to visit these kind of places with my SO rather than on my own. I really was doing it just for the miles!

Last year I did an MR to Las Vegas (YYZ-YVR-LAX-LAS and return the same way) and did spend 3 days there, so is that better?. Mind you, that wasn't really an MR since I was there for a sales mtg!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can't say that I've seen a good Caribbean MR from AC (might find something out of Buffalo on UA or US), but there was a great deal to Hawaii in Sept on AC.

In my case, I would have liked to have spent more time in Osaka, but I had a very tight work schedule and there was a limited number of dates when the fare was available, plus I prefer to visit these kind of places with my SO rather than on my own. I really was doing it just for the miles!

Last year I did an MR to Las Vegas (YYZ-YVR-LAX-LAS and return the same way) and did spend 3 days there, so is that better?. Mind you, that wasn't really an MR since I was there for a sales mtg!
I do an annual mileage run with a few SEs each year to start the year.Destinations have included LHR,FCO,MUC and BCN.All included beer and at least 1-2 night stay.I also do the LAS run YSB/YYZ/YVR/LAS r/t and skip LAX due to my United dislike.
I did the BCN run a few years back and took MRS.acysb87 back there in May,4 months after my mileage run.That city really impressed me as well as my SO.
Currently thinking of Istanbul,Athens,Buenos Aires and Malta for early 2009.Anything can happen and is always subject to change due to u/g availability.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
I do an annual mileage run with a few SEs each year to start the year.Destinations have included LHR,FCO,MUC and BCN.All included beer and at least 1-2 night stay.I also do the LAS run YSB/YYZ/YVR/LAS r/t and skip LAX due to my United dislike.
I did the BCN run a few years back and took MRS.acysb87 back there in May,4 months after my mileage run.That city really impressed me as well as my SO.
Currently thinking of Istanbul,Athens,Buenos Aires and Malta for early 2009.Anything can happen and is always subject to change due to u/g availability.
those sound like mini holidays rather than Mileage runs Asia is the king of Mileage runs... or CMB-JFK in J for $1200
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:12 am

Looks like I missed out on the low YVR-DFW fare. Checked all of the weekend dates in Oct/Nov on both ac and xpedia and it's $197++ each way.....
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by ramsfan
BTW, i really do not understand the MR idea of comming right back. Almost all destinations have something of interest. For the person wondering what to do in Dallas -- well Fort Worth is an old west town with a daily cattle run and great stake houses. Surely worth a day. And Margaritta Girl, i remember reading about your Japan MR. I cannot recall if it was Toyko --real easy to spend a day or 2 there-- or Osaka --several days in Kyoto are great--
Thanks for the tip on Fort Worth. Anyway, I am spending 2 nights in Dallas, and would love to find a funky neighbourhood like Commercial Drive or Main Street in Vancouver. But, being Texas, America and all - I doubt there are many hippies there. And, Austin is too far to go.

I also did the Osaka MR - the day after Margarita Girl (for which I still owe her a Margarita) and I had just come back from 10 days in Japan.

For me, the MR's are as much about being on a plane and flying as they are about status. To be honest, I would turn around and come back from DFW if it weren't for the other Mr. YVR72 wanting to check the place out.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: AC*E, Delta Platinum, Fairmont Premiere
Thanks for the tips, Margarita Girl! and please keep them coming. If you see any others that work well from Western Canada I'm definitely interested.

-T
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:53 pm

Arrow

I'm also going to need to do a MR ex-YVR this year, so would appreciate any and all suggestions for a 15K run. Many thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:10 am

Via MR Deals: Vancouver to Rome $742.2 a/i 15,408 miles w/US Airways
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875846
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Any mileage runs from YUL??
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by 1K+
Looks like I missed out on the low YVR-DFW fare. Checked all of the weekend dates in Oct/Nov on both ac and xpedia and it's $197++ each way.....
Fare is back - with routing through YYZ. Just priced at US$196 RT AI. Must purchase by Oct 24
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Fare is back - with routing through YYZ. Just priced at US$196 RT AI. Must purchase by Oct 24
EXCELLENT - thanks for confirming....just checked and there is ton of availability.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Fares one way are $70 plus taxes. Works for Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal, that I can see.

Actually this is a better deal than the last time. Last go around, fares were $79 from YVR and $86 from Calgary.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
~210 all in on expedia.ca
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:54 am
RiG

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Fares one way are $70 plus taxes. Works for Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal, that I can see.

Actually this is a better deal than the last time. Last go around, fares were $79 from YVR and $86 from Calgary.
As of this morning, it's down to 60$ plus taxes.

MG, do you know of any others out of yul? (I just found YUL-YVR-LAX-YYZ-YUL for 151$ each way)

Thanks,

RG

Last edited by RiG; Oct 24, 2008 at 6:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.