Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:36 pm

So your flying TPAC on an aircraft and you get pranged...who pays? Likely Hawaiian ambulances/hospitals/hotels/meals were not part or your original itinerary...who pays?. If you're sitting belted in and get crunched by a pax falling from the ceiling...who pays? suppose silly you unbuckled...got launched and put a dent in AC's ceiling panel...who pays? Actually I'm really curious as to how these are handled...anybody been involved in occurrences like this and lived to tell the tail?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Anything AC didn't offer, my credit card insurance or private health insurance would cover.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Stranger
As always. Wiser among us surely keep their seat belt at least loosely attached most of the time. Not the first time, won't be the last that this sort of things happens.
Has nobody read Airframe?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If you are dumb enough to not be wearing the belt when you are sitting in your seat you get what you deserve.
I don’t even know where to start with this. Give your head a shake. Jeebus.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lcohen999
It always gets bouncy over HNL and then subsequently the Equator.
Except they weren't over HNL or the Equator. They were 4400 miles southwest of Winnipeg.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Passengers reported that they were obliged to wait for several hours, while 2-3 agents processed them for hotels and rebooking on to other flights.
I watched pax say that while the emergency personnel response was good, the on the ground response from Air Canada was poor. I am not surprised.

Pax were very lucky that onboard the flight were other pax trained in emergency response including; Physicians, intensive care nurses, a paramedic, military veterans and skilled labour who had undergone work related advanced first aid training and other medical support staff such as a physio therapist with experience in spinal cord injuries.. It is reported that the response was so organized that a triage had been established with the seriously injured moved into the J cabin such that the first responders boarding, were able to quickly empty the plane.

Originally Posted by curiouspax
So your flying TPAC on an aircraft and you get pranged...who pays? Likely Hawaiian ambulances/hospitals/hotels/meals were not part or your original itinerary...who pays?. If you're sitting belted in and get crunched by a pax falling from the ceiling...who pays? suppose silly you unbuckled...got launched and put a dent in AC's ceiling panel...who pays? Actually I'm really curious as to how these are handled...anybody been involved in occurrences like this and lived to tell the tail?
The passenger is the first person to take responsibility. If the passenger does not have group health insurance, nor travel medical insurance, the passenger has to pay and claim against the airline. Sometimes the airline will make an arrangement with a hospital to cover medical costs in advance. The airline carries aviation liability insurance that typically has a provision for voluntary medical payments and/or mitigation expense. This allows the insurer to settle claims without the plaintiff suing, provided the injured party signs a release form. The allowance avoids the costs associated with a legal filing and shows good faith on the part of the carrier. For larger demands, the airline will hand over the claim to its insurance unit who will respond. To be liable, it will have to be shown that the airline was negligent and that it did not exercise its duty of care. It is reported that the seatbelt light had been turned off, and that this part of the route can be subject to intense turbulence.
I expect that the airline will be approaching pax with an offer to cover medical costs and a discount or small cash payout in return for a release. I doubt this will go over well with passengers who had to wait 2 hours+ in line to be processed for access to a cheap motel room and a new flight.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If you are dumb enough to not be wearing the belt when you are sitting in your seat you get what you deserve.
Wow such a obnoxious and inappropriate response? People are in hospital.

Youre not exactly a newbie either so should know better. Accidents happen, maybe they were not seasoned flyers, maybe kids, maybe a momentary lapse, hey what if they were walking to the toilets?

Does the FA who had a food trolley land on her also get what she deserved?

Its impossible to have your seatbelt fastened 100% of the time on a long haul flight
ffsim, wrp96, copperred and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 857 LHR-YYZ diverted to KEF

Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Its impossible to have your seatbelt fastened 100% of the time on a long haul flight
Why?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Can you go 14 hours without a toilet visit?

OK, let me rephrase, for most people it would be impossible to keep one's seat belt fastened for 100 percent of a long haul flight

Aplogire I questioned the superhuman bladder qualities you posses!
wrp96 and copperred like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by mkavie

Honolulu, HI, USA

01:23pm July 11, 2019 EDT

LOCAL NEWS

Haven't see this posted yet.... #BREAKING: An Air Canada flight that took off from Vancouver to Australia overnight has been forced to make an emergency landing in Hawaii, and multiple passengers are believed to be injured. b

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-fli...ries-1.4504107
It would be interesting to know how many passengers were authorised to enter the USA on a Canada to Australia flight. I remember the palarva when twice on flights LAX-to SYD over the past couple of decades a 747 has diverted to HNL and they were none too pleased that an aeroplane full of passengers who were presumably legally present in the USA only a few hours beforehand were attempting (involuntarily) to enter the USA again unexpectedly.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Aspen
It would be interesting to know how many passengers were authorised to enter the USA on a Canada to Australia flight. I remember the palarva when twice on flights LAX-to SYD over the past couple of decades a 747 has diverted to HNL and they were none too pleased that an aeroplane full of passengers who were presumably legally present in the USA only a few hours beforehand were attempting (involuntarily) to enter the USA again unexpectedly.
The US doesn't do any exit controls or emigration checks (they're notionally done by the airline but get a good laugh out of any country that uses real emigration) so it's hard to imagine they'd be too upset. LAX to HNL would be a domestic flight equivalent.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by copperred
The US doesn't do any exit controls or emigration checks (they're notionally done by the airline but get a good laugh out of any country that uses real emigration) so it's hard to imagine they'd be too upset. LAX to HNL would be a domestic flight equivalent.
Except this incident wasn't that ... this incident was Canada to Australia. It's not hard to imagine that there would be more than a few people aboard that flight, who were ineligible to enter the US. Except, all of a sudden, there they were.

That could be upsetting to both the Americans and the passengers. Just imagine if the CFO of a Chinese telco was onboard....
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27
Except this incident wasn't that ... this incident was Canada to Australia. It's not hard to imagine that there would be more than a few people aboard that flight, who were ineligible to enter the US. Except, all of a sudden, there they were.

That could be upsetting to both the Americans and the passengers. Just imagine if the CFO of a Chinese telco was onboard....
Always a risk. And I doubt the Americans would be "upset." I'm sure HNL gets its fair share of unexpected diversions.
copperred likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Wow such a obnoxious and inappropriate response? People are in hospital.

Youre not exactly a newbie either so should know better. Accidents happen, maybe they were not seasoned flyers, maybe kids, maybe a momentary lapse, hey what if they were walking to the toilets?

Does the FA who had a food trolley land on her also get what she deserved?

Read my post again. What I said is that those seated without their belts fastened got what they deserved. Flight attendants and those going to the lav are in a different category.

The airlines repeat on every flight to keep your belt fastened while seated for the duration of the flight. If those who didn't on this flight were injured it is entirely of their making and because they were too stupid to follow rudimentary safety advice. Their injuries are not the result of an accident but of their own negligence. Meanwhile, the majority of passengers on the flight came through fine. They came through fine because they were seated and had their belts fastened.
Neil791 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.