Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://avherald.com/h?article=43bf76e5

The crew of an Air Canada Jazz de Havilland Dash 8-100, registration C-FGRY performing flight QK-7725 from Toronto,ON to London,ON (Canada) with 40 people on board, was expecting turbulence enroute and had advised the flight attendant to take her seat with seat belt fastened throughout the flight. Shortly after departure the aircraft began maneouvering around several thunderstorm cells. The aircraft was enroute at 6000 feet around 25nm from London when the airplane experienced turbulence increasing from moderate to severe. Due to the proximity of the destination the crew decided to continue the flight, descended to 3000 feet and was cleared for the approach to London's runway 07. The turbulence increased further, the flight attendant reported several passengers started to feel ill. The crew aborted the approach to London and returned to Toronto in a still turbulent flight, the aircraft landed safely in Toronto with emergency services on stand by about 30 minutes after the decision to return.

The Canadian TSB reported that the heavy turbulence inspection found multiple dents and skin wrinkles between the #1 engine nacelle and the fuselage and less damage on the right wing at the same location. Maintenance referenced the structural repair manual (SRM) and determined that the damage was within the limits of the SRM manual and returned the aircraft to service. The flight data recorder was downloaded and revealed the aircraft was exposed to vertical accelerations between +2.5G and -1.0G, the maximum value before more extensive inspections would have been required.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:48 pm

I've been flying 30+ years, 1 million miles AC and another million likely CP. Lots of go-rounds and missed approaches. Been through lots of flights where the captain is dodging cells.

Yet I was on YYZ-ATL today, and we had a go-round.

But it was kind of odd. We were headed right into the squall line; a real wall of water that just hit the plane like a curtain, maybe about 1 mile out.

I saw the plane on my left on the parallel approach bail out and initiate a go-round while we kept going. We kept going for 30 seconds, and I'm thinking - "he's bailed out, we have not, and this is not quite right...."

I was in J, and I swore as we were about 200 feet above the ground the squawk box in the cabin was calling "shear shear shear."

We did our go around, right over the terminal it seemed. After that, it was less dramatic, and we landed.

Is this likely the result of an over-excited imagination, or was this a bit of an unusual flight? i.e. does the squawk box call shear, or stall? (It could have been the latter maybe...)
Old May 3, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I was in J, and I swore as we were about 200 feet above the ground the squawk box in the cabin was calling "shear shear shear."

We did our go around, right over the terminal it seemed. After that, it was less dramatic, and we landed.

Is this likely the result of an over-excited imagination, or was this a bit of an unusual flight? i.e. does the squawk box call shear, or stall? (It could have been the latter maybe...)
I'm not a pilot, but in the book From the Flight Deck written by Captain Doug Morris he talks about low level wind shear and indicates that in cases where the equipment detects LLWS a "crisp, loud digitized voice" announces "Wind Shear"...so it's possible that you heard it through the cockpit door.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: TK*G
Air Canada flight gets stuck in bog on island

"Air Canada flight gets stuck in bog on island"

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome

"Passengers on an Air Canada flight flying out of its new home at Toronto's Billy Bishop airport suffered delays after their aircraft got stuck in a bog on Tuesday night.

Peter Fitzpatrick, a company spokesperson, said the aircraft had left its gate at the Toronto Island-based airport when it slipped off the paved area into the soggy grass on a sharp turn.

Rather than forcing the wheel out, he said officials decided to wait and lift the plane out so as not to damage the wheel.

Passengers were asked to exit the plane and put on the next flight more than an hour later.

Fitzpatrick said if the ground had been dry the plane, which he said was manned by an experienced pilot, wouldn't have sunk into the grass.

Air Canada began to fly out of the Billy Bishop on Sunday.

The airline said it will schedule about 15 flights from Toronto to Montreal everyday. The flights will take 70 minutes, which is the same amount of time as flying from Toronto's Pearson International airport.

The downtown-located airport has been dominated by Porter Airlines since their launch in 2006."
Old May 4, 2011, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Garbageman
"Air Canada flight gets stuck in bog on island"
That's quite the return to YTZ. Hopefully it's not an omen of things to come.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC P,PC Plat,HH*G, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I've been flying 30+ years, 1 million miles AC and another million likely CP. Lots of go-rounds and missed approaches. Been through lots of flights where the captain is dodging cells.

Yet I was on YYZ-ATL today, and we had a go-round.

But it was kind of odd. We were headed right into the squall line; a real wall of water that just hit the plane like a curtain, maybe about 1 mile out.

I saw the plane on my left on the parallel approach bail out and initiate a go-round while we kept going. We kept going for 30 seconds, and I'm thinking - "he's bailed out, we have not, and this is not quite right...."

More than likely it was a wind shear alert you were hearing. When there's an impeding stall, they get a stick shaker.
Old May 4, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: 2MM, Lifetime E75K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyboy99
More than likely it was a wind shear alert you were hearing. When there's an impeding stall, they get a stick shaker.
I agree with flyboy99 that it was a wind shear alert - the aircraft weather instrumentation onboard most likely detected a microburst (verticle wind shear) condition.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:51 am

To those of you who were on this flight... any luck getting the YUL-BDA segment credited to your Aeroplan account? I got the BDA-BGI portion, but after a few calls, faxing in the boarding passes, and filling out the missing credit, can't get that first segment credited.

They told me today that I need to wait another 4-8 weeks.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
I got mine credited, I "believe" by emailing the SE desk. I just submitted for the rest of my family yesterday, I'm interested to see if it will ever come or if I will need to ask again.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:12 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=43c23cb1

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-190, registration C-FMYV performing flight AC-104 from Edmonton,AB to Ottawa,ON (Canada) with 83 people on board, was enroute at FL370 about 210nm northwest of Winnipeg,MB (Canada) when the crew received a failure indication for the #1 hydraulic system. The crew decided to divert to Winnipeg where the aircraft landed safely about 35 minutes later.

The Canadian TSB reported maintenance replaced the #3 spoiler actuator and returned the aircraft to service.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incident: Air Canada E190 near Vancouver on May 6th 2011, uncommanded engine shut down in flight

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-190, registration C-FNAI performing flight AC-562 from Vancouver,BC (Canada) to San Francisco,CA (USA), was climbing through 1000 feet out of Vancouver's runway 08R when the crew reported the left hand engine (CF34) had failed, levelled off at 5000 feet and returned to Vancouver for a safe landing on runway 08L about 25 minutes after departure.

The Canadian TSB reported that the engine performed an uncommanded shut down due to a dual channel failure of the FADEC. The FADEC was replaced, additional wiring checks performed. The failed FADEC has been sent to the manufacturer for further analysis.

The Aviation Herald
Old May 11, 2011, 3:34 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=43c67540

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-175, registration C-FEKD performing flight AC-301 from Washington National,DC (USA) to Toronto,ON (Canada) with 83 people on board, was on approach to Toronto when the crew aborted the approach to runway 24R due to a flaps failure. After actioning the relevant checklists the crew declared PAN anticipating hot brakes and performed a safe flapless landing on runway 24R at a higher than normal speed.

The Canadian TSB reported both slat harnesses on the right wing were replaced.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:29 pm

http://avherald.com/h?article=43c7558a

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-175, registration C-FEJL performing flight AC-678 from Ottawa,ON to Halifax,NS (Canada), was climbing through FL200 out of Ottawa when the crew received a "SLAT FAIL" message but decided to continue the flight as the slats were not in transit. During the descent towards Halifax the crew declared PAN and requested emergency services on standby for possible hot brakes. The flaps were selected to position 2, the maximum position with slats at less than 15 degrees. The aircraft landed safely at a higher than normal speed. Emergency services checking the brakes on request by the crew did not find any anomaly with the brakes.

The Canadian TSB reported the left wing outboard slat harness was defective and replaced the harness.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://avherald.com/h?article=43c7558a

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-175, registration C-FEJL performing flight AC-678 from Ottawa,ON to Halifax,NS (Canada), was climbing through FL200 out of Ottawa when the crew received a "SLAT FAIL" message but decided to continue the flight as the slats were not in transit. During the descent towards Halifax the crew declared PAN and requested emergency services on standby for possible hot brakes. The flaps were selected to position 2, the maximum position with slats at less than 15 degrees. The aircraft landed safely at a higher than normal speed. Emergency services checking the brakes on request by the crew did not find any anomaly with the brakes.

The Canadian TSB reported the left wing outboard slat harness was defective and replaced the harness.
just keep comming and comming....
Old May 12, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by airbus320
Incident: Air Canada E190 near Vancouver on May 6th 2011, uncommanded engine shut down in flight

An Air Canada Embraer ERJ-190, registration C-FNAI performing flight AC-562 from Vancouver,BC (Canada) to San Francisco,CA (USA), was climbing through 1000 feet out of Vancouver's runway 08R when the crew reported the left hand engine (CF34) had failed, levelled off at 5000 feet and returned to Vancouver for a safe landing on runway 08L about 25 minutes after departure.

The Canadian TSB reported that the engine performed an uncommanded shut down due to a dual channel failure of the FADEC. The FADEC was replaced, additional wiring checks performed. The failed FADEC has been sent to the manufacturer for further analysis.

The Aviation Herald
I see...could said FADEC ever cause an uncommanded shut down of both engines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.