Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
This is a first for me too, on the flight as well. Currently showing 2310 departure on the AC website.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Looks like a bird strike...

I had an engine conk out on a LH747 when they first came out over the Sahara Dessert on our way to JNB.

Landed in Nairobi and waited two days for the engine to be fixed.

I also remember the inflight movie was Call me Bwana with Bob Hope dubbed in German lol...
Didn't think a bird strike could happen that far up?

Heh, I can only imagine being stuck in the Nairobi airport for two days! That is one of the craziest airports I have ever been to!!!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lucinka
This is a first for me too, on the flight as well. Currently showing 2310 departure on the AC website.
About a three-hour flight to BGI from here you think?

As long as we get there tonight (or the wee hours of the morning), I'll be happy. Have a meeting at 9AM tomorrow, then a flight out again at 5PM.

Oh well, such is life... hope they let us out of the waiting area if we still have 8 hours to kill.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
They are estimating a 0110 arrival. Concierge told me they are sending a 767 to get us.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was flying in a Canadian Forces Hercules as a pax out of Trenton enroute to Thule AFB Greenland.

We were at top of climb and cruising ahead. For those who know the Hercules, the flight deck is huge and has tons of room. I was standing behind the captain and looking out at the Artic landscape when the left windscreen cracked with noise.

i turned around and grabbed one of the oxygen masks at the bunk station and stapped myself into the seat . I had vision of depressuration,

It turned out that the crack occured on one layer only. I sure was teased for my grabbing an oxygen mask. Better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lucinka
They are estimating a 0110 arrival. Concierge told me they are sending a 767 to get us.
With pods!

Impressed with the communication - got my updated itinerary via email before the announcement.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Definitely not a bird strike.

The windshield is heated for anti-icing and sometimes the thermal stress cracks the external windshield layer.

It is not a too uncommon occurence. If you search the CADORS with the keyword windshield, you will find dozens of cases - generally at cruise altitude.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:51 pm

Thanks slaman for posting the photo. The glass appears to be badly shaterred, imagine if it broke while airborne.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
it did break while airborne.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by slaman

Heh, I can only imagine being stuck in the Nairobi airport for two days! That is one of the craziest airports I have ever been to!!!
I was lucky - I had a Dutch passport and was put up in the Hilton downtown. The pax with South African passports were not allowed to leave the airport.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:54 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-gb; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Originally Posted by slaman

I was lucky - I had a Dutch passport and was put up in the Hilton downtown. The pax with South African passports were not allowed to leave the airport.
My experience at the Nairobi airport involved pushing people out of the way in a mob of a hundred to get the attention if the two agents who were able to process a boarding pass to dar that was leaving in thirty minutes. No such thing as lines and definitely don't expect your luggage to make it heh.

The AC folks apparently got the restaurant upstairs to prepare us a buffet dinner. Can't leave the airport though.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
BDA airport "restaurant"

And for those complaining about IROPS elsewhere, clearly things don't always work out for the worse. Pods and a buffet and an afternoon in BDA...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
it did break while airborne.
Broke completely is what I meant.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Wow that is crazy! Glad you're okay!

Never heard of a Airplane Window crack!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909
Wow that is crazy! Glad you're okay!

Never heard of a Airplane Window crack!
It's a near daily occurrence, check avherald.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.