Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Why divert to YYC and not Edmonton?
Initial diversion decision was YEG, but after consult with Alberta Health, it was decided that YYC airport was closer to major trauma center with capacity to handle all injured.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Some truly expert coverage from Sky News here:

http://news.sky.com/story/1614509/tu...ell-injures-21

"There was no immediate indication of what caused the turbulence."
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:15 am

I was on AC016 last night and we also encountered severe turbulence at approximately the same point east of Fairbanks. One FA was injured. There was no warning and the entire flight crew was very shaken up. Aircraft was assessed for damage and the flight continued to YYZ. I suspect that had people not been buckled in the result would have been the same as AC88. It was very severe. I am ACMM and have never been through anything that bad to date.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: AC*SE
Great professionalism by the AC pilots and crew. And good reminder on why seat belts are so critical.

http://cyberpresse.ca/actualites/201...urbulences.php
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The fact that Air Canada even permitted that flight plan seems odd to me. As posted upthread the turbulence was rough. It appeared to me that flying through lower BC was a better call. Thoughts? Anyone have ATC recordings for that flight?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:01 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The fact that Air Canada even permitted that flight plan seems odd to me. As posted upthread the turbulence was rough. It appeared to me that flying through lower BC was a better call. Thoughts? Anyone have ATC recordings for that flight?
Turbulence cannot (in a real sense) be predicted. Weather patterns may show areas favourable for turbulence, but mostly its hit and miss. Often times, a flight passing through an area of turbulence will notify other flights in the area of the turbulence.

A decision to use a northern route or a southern route will mostly be based on winds and weather forecasts, and decided upon before departure, so one cannot say they "should have" done anything based on turbulence unless using hindsight.

Edit: moral of the story: keep your seatbelt fastened at all times.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Turbulence cannot (in a real sense) be predicted. Weather patterns may show areas favourable for turbulence, but mostly its hit and miss. Often times, a flight passing through an area of turbulence will notify other flights in the area of the turbulence.

A decision to use a northern route or a southern route will mostly be based on winds and weather forecasts, and decided upon before departure, so one cannot say they "should have" done anything based on turbulence unless using hindsight.

Edit: moral of the story: keep your seatbelt fastened at all times.

Right. But no PIREPs available for that crew ahead of turbulence? Downright unlucky if you ask me
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Aero-something
Originally Posted by nihonto

The guy said the biter accidentally bit the bitee and put the blame on the finger pointing it seems.
Would love to know how one "accidentally" bites someone
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by nihonto
The news didn't. That was a direct quote from one of the passengers.

The guy said the biter accidentally bit the bitee and put the blame on the finger pointing it seems.

Maybe cultural differences.

No word about what he was doing that got him finger pointed at.

Remind me never to point fingers in India.
The biter was from Alberta ( Fort Mac ). Don't let his actions taint your views of India. They would never do that in India.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
In a perfect world this idiot would be fitted with rubber dentures and put on a global no fly list.
Or be forced to wear this ...

Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
How does someone bite and FA during severe turbulence?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Dorian
How does someone bite and FA during severe turbulence?
They were separate incidents.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
AC88 turbulence - 21 in hospital

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/toronto-shanghai-flight-turbulence-passengers-1.3385443
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
My question is why wasn't the seatbelt sign on flying thru an area the crew (should have at least) known was in for very rough turbulence. Even if there weren't PIREPs ahead of the flight, which I find hard to believe, the turbulence forecast for Alaska showed moderate to severe turbulence across the entire state let alone the flight path.

Not trying to accuse anybody, I just find it strange. And as posted upthread, clearly it wasn't just this flight either, which makes the fact that the seatbelt sign wasn't on during subsequent flights through the area even stranger.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Always wear your seat belt, even when you're lying flat in J. Glad no serious injuries or damage to the plane causing inflight issues. Sounds like AC crew handled the situation well given # of Pax injured. Hope they will recover soon.

Presumably when the turbulence took place the plane wasn't able to alter altitude or alter flight path to avoid it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.