Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Aeroplan Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Sorry to bump this up, but my question pertains to my Aeroplan Platinum card.

I need to contact customer service but when calling the old number on the back of my card and the new one listed online, the system says their offices are closed until the next business day (no matter if it's 8 am , noon, or 5 pm).

Is there another way to talk to a live representative?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You just need to talk to AMEX, not Aeroplan, right? Try my solution.

I have the Platinum, Cobalt, and Business Gold from American Express and usually I only carry 2 of the 3 at a time. When I need customer service for the third card I'm not carrying, I find that any of the AMEX numbers I call work, and either:
  • I punch in the card numbers of the card I'm carrying but tell the CSR that I want to access the other card, and it works
  • I punch in the card number for the third card despite not calling the number I'm supposed to (this is what you would be doing), and it works!
So I'll just give you some general AMEX numbers if you want to try my solution:
  • Platinum: +1-800-263-1616
  • Cobalt: +1-800-869-3016
  • International collect: +1-905-474-0870
Just tell them to access your card info by reading out/punching in your Aeroplan Platinum card number
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Thanks! Will try the Amex numbers and report back when I'm done.

Edit: dialed the 1616 number and got the same message when hitting "0" or saying"representative".

Next attempt:
Dialed the 3016 number and the stock recording plays after going through the options again.

Maybe I'll select lost or stolen card next time I try.
asovse1 likes this.

Last edited by TTC192Rocket; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:56 pm

Thanks! Will try the Amex numbers and report back when I'm done.

Edit: dialed the 1616 number and got the same message when hitting "0" or saying"representative".

Next attempt:
Dialed the 3016 number and the stock recording plays after going through the options again.

Maybe I'll select lost or stolen card next time I try.

Weird, you've got me curious, maybe it's just a daytime glitch with Amex today? In that case, your OP makes sense because as I was writing my post I was wondering how Amex could just shut down a number and not replace it. :P Did you enter your card number at any point?

Edit:
I called since I had time to kill and was super curious, found the following:
  • A few years ago, the 1-800 number was said to generate the "business hours" message if you were calling outside of Canada. Try the collect call number I posted!
  • The +1-800-869-3016 number should work if you're in Canada/USA
  • AMEX customer service (not their new accounts department, global transfer, etc.) should be open 24/7, so I'm not sure what loop you're running into!
What a strange situation you're having, hope you can figure it out soon! :P

Last edited by asovse1; Dec 6, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Thanks for all the hard work on my behalf, asovse1!

Yep, I read my cc number aloud and also keyed it in for both the Platinum and Cobalt numbers. I've been calling within Etobicoke and/or downtown Toronto.

​​​​​​I will give the collect call number a shout out tomorrow. Given my dissatisfaction with Amex now, if I cancel my card, would any existing booking not be covered by the card's insurance benefits? Specifically, flight delay or cancellation benefits.

​​​​​​My card was just charged the $499 membership fee at the last statement; is it refundable if I cancel the card within the next few days? I really want to take my business elsewhere.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:48 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on my behalf, asovse1!

Yep, I read my cc number aloud and also keyed it in for both the Platinum and Cobalt numbers. I've been calling within Etobicoke and/or downtown Toronto.

​​​​​​I will give the collect call number a shout out tomorrow. Given my dissatisfaction with Amex now, if I cancel my card, would any existing booking not be covered by the card's insurance benefits? Specifically, flight delay or cancellation benefits.

​​​​​​My card was just charged the $499 membership fee at the last statement; is it refundable if I cancel the card within the next few days? I really want to take my business elsewhere.
No problem, I had to satisfy my curiosity anyway!

This should be your certificate of insurance (not sure if it's exactly the same though) and on page 18, it says that your coverage ends on the date you cancel your card unfortunately.

I have cancelled an AMEX small business card in the past and told them that it wasn't worth keeping, this was also about a month after the annual fee had charged and after asking if they could reverse it, they agreed to refund the annual fee and close the account. Your mileage may vary if you try this route. Best of luck!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Annual fees paid are generally refunded in full if you cancel up to X days after anniversary.

My experience with several AMEX cards is X < ~75.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
1.25 x earning rate enhanced to 1.5x until August 31, 2020

I received the following email on June 9, 2020:

Hello _____,

With so much changing around us each day, we remain committed to ensuring you continue to get the most out of your American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card. If you are currently earning at the regular earn rate on your Card, we are proactively increasing your earn rate to the following:

Automatically enjoy an enhanced earn rate from 1.25 Aeroplan Miles to 1.5 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 in eligible Card purchases until August 31, 2020.¹

Offer may be extended without notice.

Please note, if you’ve already reached the accelerated earn rate of 1.5 Aeroplan Miles, there is no change and you will continue to earn at this rate.

Fine Print:
1. Offer is only available to eligible Canadian Basic American Express AeroplanPlus Cardmembers. Account must be in good standing. If you are currently earning at the regular earn rate of 1.25 Aeroplan Miles, your earn rate will increase to 1.5 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 in purchases charged to your Card until August 31, 2020. Offer may be extended without notice. Aeroplan Miles are earned on the amount of all purchases, less credits and returns. Interest, annual fees, other fees, and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies are not considered purchases and do not qualify for Aeroplan Miles. If you have already reached the spend threshold and are currently earning at the accelerated earn rate of 1.5 Aeroplan Miles, there will be no change and you will continue to earn at that accelerated rate. If your anniversary date is during the offer period, you will continue to earn at the accelerated earn rate until August 31.
Bohemian1 and unclepants like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
New offer from American Express: 5000 Aeroplan Miles when $100 is Spent

Hello ,

For a limited time, we are introducing a special offer to earn bonus Aeroplan®* Miles with American Express.

From June 29, 2020 to July 31, 2020 when you spend at least $100 CAD in qualifying purchases just about anywhere¹ with your registered American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card, you can earn 5,000 Aeroplan Miles.²

Here’s how to take advantage of this offer:

1. Register your eligible Card

Register your eligible American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Card ending in****** during the offer period of June 29-July 31, 2020.

2. Spend in-store or online

Use your registered Card to make a single qualifying purchase or cumulative qualifying purchases that total $100 or more, after taxes & shipping during the offer period. Purchases made during the offer period prior to registration of your Card do not qualify.

3. You can earn 5,000 Aeroplan Miles

So whether you’re buying groceries or treating yourself to something online, you can earn Aeroplan Miles just about anywhere.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:55 pm

Did anyone receive an email about 3x the miles on groceries, food delivery and takeout?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.