American Express Aeroplan Platinum

Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
American Express Aeroplan Platinum

Hi all,

I'm considering signing up for the AMEX Aeroplan Platinum for $499 annual fee. I understand it inlcudes a bonus of 15,000 AP points along with a free companion ticket. Has anyone claimed this companion ticket? Care to share any experiences?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bub_lee
Hi all,

I'm considering signing up for the AMEX Aeroplan Platinum for $499 annual fee. I understand it inlcudes a bonus of 15,000 AP points along with a free companion ticket. Has anyone claimed this companion ticket? Care to share any experiences?
The companion ticket was a feature of this card in the past; it is no longer a feature now. It has been replaced by the privilege pass - one can get a 8 credit business class or tango (economy class) flight credit (whereby the credit card holder and/or one other person can fly by using the credits). A few months ago, when I bought the J class pass - it was (including tax) $7398 (I do not know the current price). Eight one-way flights in business class (let us say C class) would otherwise cost (depending on where one flies within continental North America) between 1.5 and 2.0 times that cost, if bought directly from AC or a travel agent.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:48 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
The companion ticket was a feature of this card in the past; it is no longer a feature now.
Platinum members get a free companion ticket for the same itinerary when they redeem a 15K short haul Classic award ticket (once a year).
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:00 pm

The value of this 'benefit' is limited by where you reside in the Empire since there are far more 'available' locations from Central Canada. If it weren't for the fact that I get it for free as a result of having the original Amex Platinum I'd get rid of it much in the same way as I ditched the CIBC card last month.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:28 pm

You can get the AMEX Platinum Card (Not Aeroplan) which gives free Companion Tickets as part of its International Airline Program (IAP). I dont believe there are any limits to the free companion tickets. However there are date and class of service conditions depending on airline.

Participating airlines are: Air France, Air New Zealand, Austrian, Continental, Japan and Swiss.

The card also offers special airfares with Singapore Airlines (30% discount in business) and Alitalia (30-55% discount in business)

You can transfer membership reward points into aeroplan.

Card fee is $399 and actually looks better than the aeroplan plus platinum card.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
The value of this 'benefit' is limited by where you reside in the Empire since there are far more 'available' locations from Central Canada. If it weren't for the fact that I get it for free as a result of having the original Amex Platinum I'd get rid of it much in the same way as I ditched the CIBC card last month.
I'd like to ditch the CIBC as well, but unfortunately, many businesses still do not accept Amex.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:45 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone claimed this companion ticket? Care to share any experiences?
The one I am familiar with is for a short haul flight (I think purchase or use 15k miles) and you get the free companion fare free... only a limited # of seats available. I inquired about a flight and they didn't have any of those seats available for the days/times I wanted.

I ended up flying Porter because I didn't want to use 15k miles and have 1/2 stops in Mtl...
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:14 am
Suspended

500/yr for a mediocre credit card? Amex sure has done a good job on marketing and partnerships.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I'd like to ditch the CIBC as well, but unfortunately, many businesses still do not accept Amex.
I always have to smile at comments like this -- I manage to go through life very happily never using a Visa or MCard ... only AX -- from groceries, to drug stores to coffee ... and I do not have to go out of my way either!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
I manage to go through life very happily never using a Visa or MCard....
And that list of yours include the car-less & gas-less through life!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
And that list of yours include the car-less & gas-less through life!
Nope -- AUTOSHARE for the car and they pay for the gas
Old Jul 27, 2008, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: ICH,Starwood,BA,AC
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
I always have to smile at comments like this -- I manage to go through life very happily never using a Visa or MCard ... only AX -- from groceries, to drug stores to coffee ... and I do not have to go out of my way either!
Interesting comment.....I just bought a lap top today from a small computer store who charged me 1.25% less when I switched from AMEX to Visa at their suggestion. Their comment was that Amex charges more and takes longer to pay the merchant and its worth asking the custoemr to switch,which I did.

The lap top was cheaper than at Best Buy as well with the bells and whistles I wanted
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by hardripples
Interesting comment.....I just bought a lap top today from a small computer store who charged me 1.25% less when I switched from AMEX to Visa at their suggestion. Their comment was that Amex charges more and takes longer to pay the merchant and its worth asking the custoemr to switch,which I did.

The lap top was cheaper than at Best Buy as well with the bells and whistles I wanted
But if I pay less I get less points!!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by hardripples

Heretic!

What you should have done is pay by Amex, then have the credit card surcharge disputed/refunded by the credit card company.

Less money, more points.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Heretic!

What you should have done is pay by Amex, then have the credit card surcharge disputed/refunded by the credit card company.
The merchant agreement forbids the merchant from charging extra for using a particular card. But there is nothing in the agreement that prevents a merchant from not giving a discount to use a particular card. In this case, the merchant didn't charge extra for using Amex but just gave a further discount for using VS or MC. I don't think he acted contrary to his merchant agreement.

In this case, more money, less points

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.