Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Oil costs will kill bargain airlines, Milton says

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil costs will kill bargain airlines, Milton says

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by YVR72
From R.O.B.:
"Passengers are witnessing the end of an era of cheap airfares as record-high oil prices erode travel demand and reshape the world's airline industry, says Robert Milton, chief executive officer of Air Canada's parent company."

It occurred to me that maybe Westjet really has more to worry about than AC. They have nothing to offer other than basic transportation, partial TV shows and giggling staff.

Air Canada can offer an experience...big planes, executive class, branded customer lounges (offering access for a fee was a smart loyalty move) and, their logo best defines our nation. Now, if only we could get a giggle or two out of the crew!

If Air Canada wanted to, they could reintroduce full meal service in Y class without too much time and difficulty. Westjet's aircraft would need quite a refit to do that wouldn't they? Perhaps its own XM project?
Interesting Milton got it wrong again.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:57 pm

^ So did YVR72 :P
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
G&M: Southwest Airlines Co. reported a surprisingly large loss in the first quarter as traffic fell in what the CEO called the carrier's toughest revenue environment ever.

The price of oil isn't killing anyone right now. But, now that copper is back on its way up, oil won't be far behind. Soon, we might be in a situation with recession-weakened airlines facing $150 oil. The story isn't over.

Last edited by YVR72; Apr 16, 2009 at 8:22 am
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Perhaps their loss can be attributed to the endless $49 seat sales... combined with declining loads. Those two together spell disaster to me! If less people are flying, and paying less, then you are going to lose money!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by YVR72
G&M: Southwest Airlines Co. reported a surprisingly large loss in the first quarter as traffic fell in what the CEO called the carrier's toughest revenue environment ever.

The price of oil isn't killing anyone right now. But, now that copper is back on its way up, oil won't be far behind. Soon, we might be in a situation with recession-weakened airlines facing $150 oil. The story isn't over.
Yep. The worst economic decline in 70 years, yet oil has only fallen to $50. It should have gone much lower. It certainly makes me worry about what we'll be paying when economic recovery comes.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
It certainly makes me worry about what we'll be paying when economic recovery comes.

Massive inflation, think Zimbabwe
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo
Massive inflation, think Zimbabwe
Did they not end up with the US dollar at the end of the day?as the local currency changed faster than they could bake a loaf of bread
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:54 am

I read in a paper a few weeks ago, Zimbabwe is now using a combination of USD, Rand and another neighbouring currency.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Zim has abandoned their currency for at least one year. I don't think there's a plan yet for what happens after that.

Of course, enterprising individuals are selling trillion dollar notes on eBay for about $20 US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.