Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada resumes seasonal service to Anchorage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/090406.html?src=hp_wn

Effective May 15, 2009, Air Canada customers can once again enjoy seasonal service to and from Anchorage, Alaska. Flights will arrive and depart from the South Terminal of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

Also as of May 15, 2009, customers flying Air Canada in and out of Anchorage will be able to enjoy the convenience of our Web check-in option on aircanada.com.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:10 pm

Hopefully Mt. Redoubt will settle down by then.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/090406.html?src=hp_wn

Effective May 15, 2009, Air Canada customers can once again enjoy seasonal service to and from Anchorage, Alaska. Flights will arrive and depart from the South Terminal of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

Also as of May 15, 2009, customers flying Air Canada in and out of Anchorage will be able to enjoy the convenience of our Web check-in option on aircanada.com.
God forbid AC's PR department would issue a release that actually tells us something. Yeah, who wants to know which cities get NS service to/from ANC and frequency?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Yeah I was wondering that too. I stuck in YVR and a random date at the end of may and it looks like once daily. Pretty expensive too.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:19 am

I was wanting to take an alaskan cruise from YVR-Seward. I tried ac.com last week and they said they had no flights. At least now I might entertain the idea.

**Edit**
Looks Like I still can't book it. I get
No search results are available for the departing flight criteria you have entered.

You may modify your search criteria by selecting another airport if your departure or arrival city offers more than one option (e.g. New York, La Guardia and New York, Newark). (9200 - 10901)

I was searching from yHZ on dates in June. Tried three different dates.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Who makes these decisions? Who travels on this route??? Why don't they invest in a viable route such as one in Asia???
I mean they could not handle, DEL but they want to fly to Haneda and Geneva????
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
What possible connection is there between a North American route and India?

There is a huge amount of summer traffic to Alaska.

Simon
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by Simon
What possible connection is there between a North American route and India?
I also doubt that an E-190 can make it from YVR to Asia... might make it partway, but would be an ugly landing.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:32 am

I also doubt that an E-190 can make it from YVR to Asia... might make it partway, but would be an ugly landing.
Well, according to wikipedia's fully loaded range for the E-Jet, and the great circle mapper, something like: YVR-CDB-PKC-NRT would be doable. Although maybe your "ugly landing" comment would apply in PKC, which is also known as Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy Airport, in Kamchatka, Russia. Those airports all have runways long enough for the flights, as they're former/current military bases as well as being commercial airports.

Maybe they could use an E-jet on the new rights to Haneda, or to re-open Nagoya!

Michael
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Who makes these decisions? Who travels on this route??? Why don't they invest in a viable route such as one in Asia???
I mean they could not handle, DEL but they want to fly to Haneda and Geneva????
You found them out, they actually don't think about these decisions at all. They take a world map, throw a dart, and that is where the new service is to and from.

The DEL route was unprofitable.

Last edited by Simon; Apr 8, 2009 at 5:01 pm Reason: removed comment that others could misconstrue.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Who makes these decisions? Who travels on this route??? ...
Perhaps there is not much awareness of it at the "centre of the universe" but there is a huge amount of summer cruise traffic that this route caters to.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
ok ok, lets see how long it lasts.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
ok ok, lets see how long it lasts.

I has offered seasonally during the cruise ship season every year for the past 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. AS also was offering seasonal YVR-ANC so there is demand there....
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by PointWeasel

I has offered seasonally during the cruise ship season every year for the past 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. AS also was offering seasonal YVR-ANC so there is demand there....
Yeah, it's seasonal as I can't imagine as many folks wanting to fly north between Oct-May when ANC is colder than YWG.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yeah, it's seasonal as I can't imagine as many folks wanting to fly north between Oct-May when ANC is colder than YWG.
Hey! I've been to both in the wintertime and they are just fine.

I've also flown to ANC on AC which was a better option than UA that flew south in the dead of night. A couple of summers ago, AC used a 319 and they flight was chock-a-block full with tourists from Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.