Wiki Posts
Search

New OnMyWay Service

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K MM
New OnMyWay Service

I just received an email about this new OnMyWay service and I really fail to see how this is of a benefit, other than a cash cow for Air Canada:

The benefits they list are:

Call Center Assitance: We get this already as E and SE
Automated SMS updates: You can set this up on the AC website already for free
Rebooking on the first available flight: You get this anyway
Rebooking on another airline's first available flight: Maybe this is of benefit, but I'm sure you don't get any status miles.
Hotel, Transportation, delay allowance: The airline are obligated to provide this as part of the Montreal Convention, why do we need to pay for this?

Maybe I've missed something, but how does paying $25/35 dollars for this service help me?
Old May 8, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I wonder how much longer until they start selling E and SE status?

They already sell many of the benefits of status (including upgrade certs on shorthaul routes). Why not just combine it all into one package?
Old May 8, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

What makes me laugh even more is how they even put limits on the compensation for this PAID "insurance", when it's clear the montreal convention covers A LOT more. If you read the terms and conditions you can see the monitary limits they put on this "service". Makes me irrate that they try to scam customers like this.

Here's the link to the service: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...r/onmyway.html
Old May 8, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmottle
Hotel, Transportation, delay allowance: The airline are obligated to provide this as part of the Montreal Convention, why do we need to pay for this?
I don't think they're obligated to provide that in cases where the delays are outside of the airline's control (i.e. weather, ATC).

Of course, one could then argue that weather can be a convenient excuse to use for any delay, but...
Old May 8, 2008, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LiquidJ
I don't think they're obligated to provide that in cases where the delays are outside of the airline's control (i.e. weather, ATC).

Of course, one could then argue that weather can be a convenient excuse to use for any delay, but...
I suppose that's true, although if there is a weather delay or ATC delay, it's not like getting on another plane is going to help you much. You're stuck there anyway. I guess if it's the last flight of the day and you end up staying overnight it could help, but I'd hazard a guess that the number of times anyone would have been delayed from weather and ATC, the cost I would pay for this insurance unused would be the same or more than just paying for the hotel and expenses myself when it happens.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I suppose that's true, although if there is a weather delay or ATC delay, it's not like getting on another plane is going to help you much. You're stuck there anyway.
Agreed somewhat.

But, I think getting on a different airline might be beneficial if you're on the (n-1)th segment of an n-segment trip. For example, if I was booked YOW-YYZ-LAX, and there was bad weather in YYZ, I might want to be rebooked (for example) YOW-IAD-LAX on UA, or YOW-ATL-LAX on DL (assuming those routings even exist - I just made them up).
Old May 8, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LiquidJ
Agreed somewhat.

But, I think getting on a different airline might be beneficial if you're on the (n-1)th segment of an n-segment trip. For example, if I was booked YOW-YYZ-LAX, and there was bad weather in YYZ, I might want to be rebooked (for example) YOW-IAD-LAX on UA, or YOW-ATL-LAX on DL (assuming those routings even exist - I just made them up).
Correct me if I'm wrong but can you not already do this? I have had many cases where AC cancels a flight to YYZ and then I ask to be put on another carriers plane. Usually with some resistance it is done and I get to my location.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:11 am

but I'd hazard a guess that the number of times anyone would have been delayed from weather and ATC, the cost I would pay for this insurance unused would be the same or more than just paying for the hotel and expenses myself when it happens.
That's quite possible, and taking out the insurance is a totally personal decision.

However, what you said is sort of the basis for insurance. Risks are pooled and premiums are collected. Insurers can only pay out what they've collected in premiums (plus investment income, less expenses). If everyone only bought insurance when they were fairly certain to collect, premiums would need to be (relatively) very expensive or else the insurer would go bankrupt in short order. In order for some to profit from their policy, others must lose by never making a claim (or claiming less than they've paid in premiums).

*Caveat*
I am not an apologist for Air Canada.
Naturally, I'm sure Air Canada has built a nice cushion in the premium to make sure they turn a profit on this new service and I don't plan on ever purchasing it myself.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC has possibly taken out insurance to cover force majeure events for this type of benefit.

A major winter storm at YYZcould possibly wreck havoc not only at the hub but at other airports as the domino effect impacted other stations.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:22 am

Who will get the last 2 seats in this case?

Appreciate any one to tell me on the following situation:

Three passengers on the same cancelled flight:

A: Non status on a Latitude fare who has purchased On My Way;
B: Prestige on a Tango Plus fare who has purchased On My Way;
C: Super Elite on a cheap Tango fare who has not purchased On My Way;

All the remaining passengers are non status and all did not buy OMW.

There is only two economy seats left on the next flight, which two will get those last two seats?
Old May 8, 2008, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Didn't this topic get beaten to death in this recent thread?
Old May 8, 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Didn't this topic get beaten to death in this recent thread?
Sorry it's a long Thread and I may have missed. Will someone kindly reconfirm again that a non status who has purchased "On My Way" will bump a SE who has not purchased OMW in a covered situation? Amongst those who have purchased OMW, I assume that status will take priority. Thank you.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 8, 2008 at 12:03 pm
Old May 8, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC E
I am still waiting for some indication of how many passengers are actually buying On My Way, and more to the point, to hear from someone who has both bought it AND used it. Anyone on this forum??
Old May 8, 2008, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by LRESFG
I am still waiting for some indication of how many passengers are actually buying On My Way, and more to the point, to hear from someone who has both bought it AND used it. Anyone on this forum??
If I am travelling in the middle of the Canadian winter on a very very important trip, and OMW will give me a higher priority and preference than the SE's, yes, I shall pay the $25/35 to purchase OMW.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by LRESFG
Well it was announced April 2nd (a day late IMO @:-) ), and today I too got the email exhorting me to use it so maybe, just maybe this **** is DOA ^

Email subject - "A new era in travel". Got that ing right !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.