Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Newest a la Carte Fare Option: IRROPS Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Called On My Way

Introducing On My Way, Air Canada's newest à-la-carte fare option, providing travel assistance service to protect you against unexpected travel expenditures -- including any that apply to your air ticket investment -- and offers you a smooth, stress-free travel experience when unplanned disruptions affect your travel plans.

On My Way service gives you access to specially trained Air Canada customer service agents who will assist to get you on your way more quickly and smoothly by:

Rebooking the first available flight on Air Canada, Jazz or another airline
Arranging complimentary hotel accommodation, car rental or other ground transportation and meals

$25 for flights 1000 miles or less
$35 for flights 1000 miles or more.

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/a...es/benefit.jpg
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, I thought this was a joke

It would be nice if it was included free or deeply discounted for E/SE members. I'd really just like the SMS notification feature which should be a part of AC.com profiles

Right now I think only United provides Weather-delay accommodation for 1K members so this is a nice thing to be able to buy if the weather is bad news!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, April's fools day was yesterday....
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyyz

It would be nice if it was included free or deeply discounted for E/SE members. I'd really just like the SMS notification feature which should be a part of AC.com profiles

Right now I think only United provides Weather-delay accommodation for 1K members so this is a nice thing to be able to buy if the weather is bad news!
Well, SEs get access to the SE "desk." As to accommodation etc., most credit cards provide for that anyway.

As to rebooking on other airlines, I think they are supposed to do that. It's just that they try bullying you.

Bottom line: (1) I don't see the value in this and (2) isn't it damn hypocritical of them to charge extra for stuff that they are supposed to offer in the first place but which they do their best to avoid?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Well, SEs get access to the SE "desk." As to accommodation etc., most credit cards provide for that anyway.

As to rebooking on other airlines, I think they are supposed to do that. It's just that they try bullying you.

Bottom line: (1) I don't see the value in this and (2) isn't it damn hypocritical of them to charge extra for stuff that they are supposed to offer in the first place but which they do their best to avoid?
While I do see this can be viewed upon as charging for services they should already be providing...I think this is over and above what they are obligated to provide. ie: Weather IRROPS etc.

But I think this could be a slippery slope and optically will look very petty.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mikeyyz

Well, if I lived in Newfoundland, and was flying in winter, making at least one connection along the way - meaning a 50% chance of a delay- this would be a very good thing to purchase. Odds are that if I made two round trips, I would experience one weather delay and recover my money and have the benefits of front-of-the-line access to rebooking, hotels, information, etc.

It might make some sense for anyone connecting through Heathrow any time of year. Getting even one night's hotel in London would probably pay the fees for 2-3 round trips.

Other than that, for most point to point trips, I'll pass.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:50 am
Original Poster

But seriously...why should flight notification by email and SMS be an a al carte option...this should be a standard feature that works all of the time.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
While I do see this can be viewed upon as charging for services they should already be providing...I think this is over and above what they are obligated to provide. ie: Weather IRROPS etc.

But I think this could be a slippery slope and optically will look very petty.

Agreed. But even weather IROPS is typically covered by your credit card. So really, the only thing you can expect from this is less willingness to provide what they should provide in the first place, if you did not purchase this.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I saw a weather related problem looming and had connection(s), I would certainly consider this "insurance".
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
isn't it damn hypocritical of them to charge extra for stuff that they are supposed to offer in the first place but which they do their best to avoid?
Yes. They are working on the premise that while you can't fool all the people all the time, you can sure fool most of them most of the time.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by airbus320
If I saw a weather related problem looming and had connection(s), I would certainly consider this "insurance".
Weather and mechanicals are not IROPS, so you'd likely be told your "insurance" doesn't cover it. They won't tell you that before you buy it though.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by airbus320
I'm guessing like other insurance you'd have to buy it at time of booking, not later when weather conditions aren't looking so good.

I'd heard about this from someone I know within AC and will be curious to see how it's received. Seems to me the a la carte options are becoming a long menu list and are at risk of thoroughly confusing average travellers.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Sebring

It might make some sense for anyone connecting through Heathrow any time of year. Getting even one night's hotel in London would probably pay the fees for 2-3 round trips.

Other than that, for most point to point trips, I'll pass.
The fine print...

**Applicable on flights within Canada and between Canada and the USA operated by Air Canada or Air Canada JazzTM (codeshare flights operated by other partners are excluded).
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE
With the exception of weather they are SUPPOSED to be doing all of these things for FREE already. And even in weather they are still supposed to help!

Great business strategy. I guess AC has hired a new cohort of MBA grads.
1) Make customer service terrible over a number of years.
2) Offer customer option to pay for basic customer service as a new "feature"
3) Profit.

This makes AC look cheap and nasty. Good job!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
There are 3 questions I'd like an answer to.

1. How does this intersect with the FF program if at all? This "service" is not even included in the price of a full J fare - will it be complementary to E/SEs?

2. Who will get first priority during IROPS - E/SEs, or those who paid "protection money"? I've always regarded preferential treatment during IROPS as a leading benefit of status. Is this a watering down of that benefit?

3. Does the new "service" mean that the normal flight notification system will be downgraded, or is it to be enhanced in some way for those who purchase it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.