Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Were you able to upgrade at the airport ? Does the GA have any discretion in the matter ?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, the standard rules are that Flex STLAK have co-pays. The 2 (3? 4?) year promotion that eliminated that expired sometime in the last few weeks.
The Air Canada Eupgrade charts show $50 co-pays for all Canada and transborder flights, when you call or try to upgrade on Eupgrade site this changes to $125 each way for YYC to YOW and they tell you that the $50 is only for short haul. $250 unexpected copay for a return flight in Canada is ridiculous. No discount or reduction for SE. Changing to no copay fare class is $400.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by folkart
The Air Canada Eupgrade charts show $50 co-pays for all Canada and transborder flights, when you call or try to upgrade on Eupgrade site this changes to $125 each way for YYC to YOW and they tell you that the $50 is only for short haul. $250 unexpected copay for a return flight in Canada is ridiculous. No discount or reduction for SE. Changing to no copay fare class is $400.
It says "starting at".

And I guarantee the Flex to Comfort upfare was less than $400.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
It says "starting at".

And I guarantee the Flex to Comfort upfare was less than $400.
Chart I was looking at doesn't have starting at. https://www.aircanada.com/content/ai...calculate.html
Would have been much less but I waited too long and fares shot up on the route. Comfort now $573 more than what I paid on original cheap ticket. Bad calls on my part for missing the fare class addon and not buying up to a higher fare class sooner.

Last edited by folkart; Sep 27, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by folkart
Chart I was looking at doesn't have starting at. https://www.aircanada.com/content/ai...calculate.html
Would have been much less but I waited too long and fares shot up on the route. Comfort now $573 more than what I paid on original cheap ticket. Bad calls on my part for missing the fare class addon and not buying up to a higher fare class sooner.
That page says "eUpgrades starting at"
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Calculating eUpgrade credits has been a bit of a shot in the dark as of late. It was 8 credits to upgrade YVR-YUL a few weeks ago on a Comfort fare but then 10 on YYC-YYZ a few days ago in the same fare class. I also had an M class fare upgraded YVR-YEG and then had 1 of the credits returned. It feels like it is a bit random as of late.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I looked things up, but still don't see any recent answer ; how does one find the actual fare subclass STLAK; QVWG when booking? I know where it comes up on the confirmation but I have never been able to identify it prior to that. Pain to have to go back and modify the booking to ensure the co pay is avoided. Last couple flex bookings were shorter notice so I had already missed the cheapest fares and presume that's why I was into G anyway. Guess AC gets its pound of flesh either by higher fare or copay.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I looked things up, but still don't see any recent answer ; how does one find the actual fare subclass STLAK; QVWG when booking? I know where it comes up on the confirmation but I have never been able to identify it prior to that. Pain to have to go back and modify the booking to ensure the co pay is avoided. Last couple flex bookings were shorter notice so I had already missed the cheapest fares and presume that's why I was into G anyway. Guess AC gets its pound of flesh either by higher fare or copay.
Once you have selected the fare family, click the details link for the flight and you'll see the cabin type (fare class)
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by TechnoTourist; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:17 pm

Thx, I didn't know that little step.
I realized afterwards that the eUP display filter on the booking page now shows the copay too which I never came across before, and which may be due to promo being dropped recently per Cow or that I am usually G. Makes it straightforward to compare $85 bump for Comfort, or the $150 copay for Flex fare upgrade for YVR-YYZ regardless of the cabin type. Turned out to be L btw.
In the future I will get to fixate over whether the extra Comfort $$ is worth it without a guarantee of eUp if outside my window, but right now I am sticking to fully refundable fares anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Thx, I didn't know that little step.
I realized afterwards that the eUP display filter on the booking page now shows the copay too which I never came across before, and which may be due to promo being dropped recently per Cow or that I am usually G. Makes it straightforward to compare $85 bump for Comfort, or the $150 copay for Flex fare upgrade for YVR-YYZ regardless of the cabin type. Turned out to be L btw.
In the future I will get to fixate over whether the extra Comfort $$ is worth it without a guarantee of eUp if outside my window, but right now I am sticking to fully refundable fares anyway.
It's definitely different for everyone, but when Comfort became refundable, I no longer saw any reason to book Flex. No co-pays, fewer eUps, and more AQM are just bonuses.

Recently I paid a ~$70 fare difference (no change fee on Comfort fare) because when my eUp window opened, my flight was R0 but a later one had R space. For $70, it was worth it. If there had been a significant change fee ($200? I don't know what domestic fees are), the math would have been very different. So within your window, you can do the co-pay math (though it's also possible low Flex to G might cost less - not the case with L, but maybe from S), and outside your window, you know you can change your flight for free if there's no R space.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Just spoke to an agent who told me the eUp promo has been re-extended until October 4.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Just spoke to an agent who told me the eUp promo has been re-extended until October 4.
So it ended, and now they're restarting it for a week? Do I need to cancel and re-request my eUps to save 2 credits each way?

Edit: Searching for flights still shows 10 instead of the old 8.

Another edit: It definitely has not reverted to the old promo rules.
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 29, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:18 pm

It's definitely different for everyone, but when Comfort became refundable, I no longer saw any reason to book Flex. No co-pays, fewer eUps, and more AQM are just bonuses.

Recently I paid a ~$70 fare difference (no change fee on Comfort fare) because when my eUp window opened, my flight was R0 but a later one had R space. For $70, it was worth it. If there had been a significant change fee ($200? I don't know what domestic fees are), the math would have been very different. So within your window, you can do the co-pay math (though it's also possible low Flex to G might cost less - not the case with L, but maybe from S), and outside your window, you know you can change your flight for free if there's no R space.
Absolutely, Comfort is a no-brainer choice for me currently. Not touching anything that isn't refundable anyway. You do have an advantage over me though, with my much shorter upgrade window at officially 8 days that fare differences are more likely to be a factor for me if I then make changes but your point still stands that I can maneuver to a flight where I have a chance of an upgrade instead of a lost cause outside that time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Is there a separate thread for AC upgrades using miles? In other words, the Star Alliance upgrades for economy flex bookings (Y, B, etc.)
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by escape4
Is there a separate thread for AC upgrades using miles? In other words, the Star Alliance upgrades for economy flex bookings (Y, B, etc.)
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards post-2020

They are currently disabled for AP, can still be done to AC flights with other *A points
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.