Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
The eUpgrade charts still are showing the new, inflated values. If this is a glitch, it is taking a while to get corrected.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jasdou
The eUpgrade charts still are showing the new, inflated values. If this is a glitch, it is taking a while to get corrected.
I think it has always been that way; they just used to make it clear that there was a promotion in effect and actually provided a link to the chart with the promo.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, HHGold, Accor Gold.
Hi Everyone,

I am still a relatively new frequent flyer, and trying to better understand the systems involved with AC. I do believe I am posting in the right place -- though, if for some reason that is not the case, any direction to a better thread would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am trying to make a decision about the overall costs I am going to incur with AC when things really get moving again. Based on my business travelling habits, I can justify the purchase of a flight pass. I have had one before, and found them to be a great value. What I am having an issue with at the moment is the price difference between the flex and latitude options for the flight pass region I am now looking at. In my case, it would be a significant amount of money to lay out for the promise of an open business class seat within 48 hours of take-off. I have purchased a lattitude pass before, though the difference between the two fare classes where far more reasonable.

Can anyone with more travel experience tell me what to expect as an SE100 with a flex ticket... what am I up against to get into J?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The reason that made me stop buying Flex and start buying Latitude was not getting an upgrade on my Flex pass on SFO-YVR.

I have never missed a Latitude FP upgrade, since you can use eUps at time of booking, or do the complimentary upgrade based on positive J space 2 days out.

Generally speaking, SE in M is high on the list, and likely to clear. I've only missed two upgrades in years in that situation, and one was booked 12 hours out.

Right now, demand is down, but so is capacity, and it's hard to say how things will recover.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
My opinion, we can share a bunch of different experiences, but none of it is relevant unless it's the route you're considering. While Latitude may be more of a slam dunk, it is too rich for my budget. On my YYZMCO, pre-pandemic, there were enough daily flights that I could hold off booking until my upgrade window and then select the best schedule with R space and upgrade from Flex on booking. If it resumes at 1x daily, I may end up needing to be date-flexible rather than time-flexible, depending on the R space situation we encounter.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
My opinion, we can share a bunch of different experiences, but none of it is relevant unless it's the route you're considering. While Latitude may be more of a slam dunk, it is too rich for my budget. On my YYZMCO, pre-pandemic, there were enough daily flights that I could hold off booking until my upgrade window and then select the best schedule with R space and upgrade from Flex on booking. If it resumes at 1x daily, I may end up needing to be date-flexible rather than time-flexible, depending on the R space situation we encounter.
I generally agree with that strategy, and have used it.

However:

1. Booking SFO-YYZ as a lower Elite, there were days I wanted to fly that M space was down to 1-2 per flight the entire day, 6 days before departure, so I had to book before my window opened. Less of an issue since they doubled the windows, especially for an SE with a 14 day window.

2. Again with SFO-YYZ (or reasonable connecting options), R isn't always open. I've seen flights go from R1-2 down to R0 within 3 minutes of the 14 day window opening on numerous occasions. I never expect to find R space on that route within my window. Sometimes I'm surprised, but not often.

3. Even with SFO-YYZ at its former peak of 6 daily, if my schedule is even slightly constrained, I'm looking at MAYBE 2 of them. And usually there, it's the last daytime flight (~4pm) or the red-eye. Obviously on a Rapidair route you likely have more options.

I guess the goal is the other important factor than just the route. Given that an FP is going to be purchased anyway, if the goal is to upgrade most of the time as cheaply as possible, go for Flex. If the goal is to upgrade "all" the time as cheaply as possible, go for Latitude.

SE in M booking at the window is going too get almost all the upgrades. In Y, it's basically guaranteed.
flyquiet and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:43 am

I have used a number of flex FPs mainly on YYC/YVR-YYZ. Agree with strategies already mentioned. I was also prepared (and did on a few occasions) to pay the $50 change fee if upgrade space had disappeared on my preferred flight and also to take connections. Never sat in Y as 50, 75 or SE. (Actually I haven't sat in Y on AC since 2003 and rarely buy J).
If you can be flex in lots of ways, then flex will work.
The biggest challenge I had with lower status was the number of upgrade credits.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but after scrolling back 30 pages or so in this thread and comparing to what's on the Air Canada Altitude site I'm even more confused about upgrade requirements for sun destinations. I'm a P35K and want to have the option to use an e-uprade on a flight to Coast Rica (a sun destination) in December. Can I upgrade if I book any fare Flex or higher, or do I need to have flex with a specific fare code or higher? The website lists flex and the fare codes (Q, V, M, U, H), but I was reading that this is a mistake, so I'm not sure what this means.

Another question. To upgrade a companion after I upgrade myself on the same flight do they also have to have an eligible fare, or can it be any paid fare? Obviously they would have to be on a separate ticket.

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, HHGold, Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The reason that made me stop buying Flex and start buying Latitude was not getting an upgrade on my Flex pass on SFO-YVR.

I have never missed a Latitude FP upgrade, since you can use eUps at time of booking, or do the complimentary upgrade based on positive J space 2 days out.

Generally speaking, SE in M is high on the list, and likely to clear. I've only missed two upgrades in years in that situation, and one was booked 12 hours out.

Right now, demand is down, but so is capacity, and it's hard to say how things will recover.
Thanks for the advice and perspective. My next question is how does someone get a "m-ticket" or a "R-ticket" ? Is there any way to know ahead of time or are you subject to the mercy of the AC agent? I know AC has a lot of different fare buckets, though my experience with ticketing and dealing with AC in a hands on way is limited. I've done the bulk of my travel on a latitude pass to get to SE, and my experience has been simply pressing a button in the app 48 hours prior and landing in J.

I want to learn as much as you are willing to share so that I make the most informed decision I can. Also, do you know if AC would let you upgrade to a latitude pass after signing up for flex?

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:30 pm

For the passes you're looking at, Latitude books into Y, and Flex into M. R is the upgrade space you need to upgrade from Flex.

If you buy Latitude, it works exactly as you've done, though you can also eUp it at time of booking rather than waiting for the complimentary upgrade window.

You cannot convert a Flex FP to a Latitude FP.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I think there are some Flex passes that book into other fares. I think TATL might be V. Mine (Sun Flex) is M, but I don't think all are M.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I think there are some Flex passes that book into other fares. I think TATL might be V. Mine (Sun Flex) is M, but I don't think all are M.
That's correct--Middle East and India has been H. Asia and South America has been M, Europe V (including DUB). All at least put you a bit ahead of the bottom end Flex crowd. Where there are Premium Economy flights on the route overseas, I choose cheapest Premium Economy non-pass product as it gives the best upgrade chance, even for lower tier members. As OP has noted, there are advantages/value to Pass products including one-way flights at a reasonable price, often less eupgrade credits needed, etc.

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Jun 18, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:17 am

Yes, but we're talking about passes that have a 48 hour complimentary upgrade on the Latitude versions. I'm pretty confident the Flex version of those all book into M.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, but we're talking about passes that have a 48 hour complimentary upgrade on the Latitude versions. I'm pretty confident the Flex version of those all book into M.
Europe Flex pass definitely books into V, not M.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
Europe Flex pass definitely books into V, not M.
We're only talking about NA passes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.