Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$5 charge for IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sebring
I said before that it would be at least January, maybe later. Nothing is going to happen soon. The manufacturer still has a number of software upgrades and bug fixes to process, and until it does, the system will be free for ALL. And when AC does beginning charging, it will be in the Y cabin only and only within North America (the latter point is per my recollection, and I don't think anything has changed.)
Yep I know I know I was just stating the change in the Enroute magazine

As long as this is all done before Jan 30th on the 777's I am happy, I really want the moving map and heaps of movies to pick from.

My only other request is that the bar be set up so I can help myself to drinks!

I don't have a problem with AC charging for the extra movies and new release programs on North American flights and yes it's only in Y from everything I have read.

As I said compare it to United and all the rest and $5 is damn good value for entertainment.

For all the wingers out there, you can have your overhead monitors etc etc if you really want
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:27 pm

WS charges for Pay per View channels. If reruns of Gilligan's Island suffice for you, it's free.
WestJet charges for movies. The rest is live-TV with time of day dictating what is broadcast.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
WestJet charges for movies. The rest is live-TV with time of day dictating what is broadcast.
Don't forget headphones! Charging for head phones seems pretty nickle and dime to me.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:02 am

As I said compare it to United and all the rest and $5 is damn good value for entertainment.

And "all the rest?"

Like NZ, BA, and all those rest?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer

And "all the rest?"

Like NZ, BA, and all those rest?
I am not usually going to defend AC, and I think its pathetic that it takes them so long to both XM their planes and also update the AVOD from what it's been sitting at for years now. Again my main issue is they have 777's with no moving map! That is laughable. Yes yes it's a new system and they are trailling a moving map. Yes yes January blah blah blah, but seriously I find it funy that 777's that come out of the factory with such a bad AVOD system. No moving map!!!

Now back to the $5.

How many domestic flights do NZ and BA have in North American
How many NZ domestic planes have any AVOD ?
How many QF domestic planes have any AVOD
How many UA domestic planes have any AVOD
I could go on

Again the $5 is only for North American flights over 3 hours! and for Y passengers. If you don't like it don't pay or fly another airline that provides more movies/tv for free
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by wsommerv
Don't forget headphones! Charging for head phones seems pretty nickle and dime to me.
You can bring your own for no charge.

And, if you don't remember as I still have my Hollis Harris set, ErrorCanada charged $5/set for a period of time.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
I said before that it would be at least January, maybe later. Nothing is going to happen soon. The manufacturer still has a number of software upgrades and bug fixes to process, and until it does, the system will be free for ALL. And when AC does beginning charging, it will be in the Y cabin only and only within North America (the latter point is per my recollection, and I don't think anything has changed.)
Then what about the people who have already paid earlier this month? Are they going to be refunded? I think it's disgraceful that AC would charge without notifying passengers, especially when it was not really supposed to do so. And the FAs on the flight were adamant that ALL flights were charging and it was very clearly communicated in multiple ways to passengers.

Clearly what SHOULD BE is not WHAT IS.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by wsommerv
WS also advertises itself as a LCC.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by wolvie007
Then what about the people who have already paid earlier this month? Are they going to be refunded? I think it's disgraceful that AC would charge without notifying passengers, especially when it was not really supposed to do so. And the FAs on the flight were adamant that ALL flights were charging and it was very clearly communicated in multiple ways to passengers.

Clearly what SHOULD BE is not WHAT IS.
Were you charged? Did it appear on your credit card?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
You can bring your own for no charge.

And, if you don't remember as I still have my Hollis Harris set, ErrorCanada charged $5/set for a period of time.
Nothing's stoping one from bringing their own IFE (dvd, book, laptop, iPod) for no charge.

Originally Posted by shore9
WS also advertises itself as a LCC.
Yes, and AC advertises itself as the airline where you pay for the services you want.

Look, I'm annoyed when they make cuts to J, as you're choosing to pay for the entire top package there, but in Y, I really don't have a problem with choosing whether I want a meal, or seat selection, or IFE, or a pillow, or different levels of flexability, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:09 pm

WS charges for Pay per View channels. If reruns of Gilligan's Island suffice for you, it's free.

YEG-LAS tonight watched Boston and Cleveland baseball until the bottom of the 8th when we landed early after having left on time. Unfortunately, their TSN feed was a constant SportsDesk and didn't show the OILERS play the Coyotes. The couple next to me watched ER.

P.S. 5th or 6th time I've used the Headphones I purchased when they first brought in TVs. They were selling them tonight for $3 and there were lots of takers.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Wonder how long it will be before AC starts charging for headphones? I'm sure they will even try and say they are quality headphones too.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
IFE and News on AC flights?

On most IFEs (domestic, transborder, overseas international), the option for news comes up, but it states that this option is not available. When will the option become available?

I experienced one exception; I flew on a flight between YYZ and YOW last week - I can not remember if the plane was an A319 or A320 - but the IFE TV monitor was showing an icon for the English language CBC news (and presumably sports/business news/weather) and the French language Radio-Canada news - I did not click on the icon to see if this program was functional, or not.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:55 pm

Apparently the IFE will be fully working with moving map, news and $5 charge for "Premium Content" on North American flights over 3 hours in Economy only in January.

We'll wait and see though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.