Wiki Posts
Search

$5 charge for IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
$5 charge for IFE?

A few people have mentioned over the past weeks the upcoming change to IFE on domestic and transborder flights to charge $5 per flight for IFE. Well...it's now here. I flew 980 to Nassau yesterday (an int'l flight) and had to pay $5 for use of movies, music, etc. on the IFE. No warning, no mention from the FA that this was the new policy. Oh, there's a section for "free" viewing - CBC news (that is not loaded), ACTV (basically Vancouver and Toronto arrivals information) and Showreel (basically one long advertisement for all the programming AC offers).

While $5 is not much, it's disappointing that AC wouldn't notify passengers of this change and that they have basically reduced IFE to nothing if you are not willing to pay. Another "class" act by our friends at AC.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Did everyone in Y have to pay, or was it complimentary for Lattitude or any specific fare class PAX?
--
13F
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: AC SE
The OCT enroute mentions the pricing.
5$ movies games and premium tv content on NA flights over 3 hours. Game controls will be available for extra cost.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
So then essentially all IFE on such flights is paid? The free stuff described above is not programming.

I have always preferred to have Live TV and so WS seems to have the edge here.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
...I have always preferred to have Live TV ...
I would not say just because AC has a lack of content that Live TV is better.

Live TV is vastly limited by the time of day (have you ever watched daytime TV?)

Also not having to watch commercials and the ability to start and stop and restart is huge. I for one never watch live TV, even at home.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:24 am

Oh, there's a section for "free" viewing - CBC news (that is not loaded), ACTV (basically Vancouver and Toronto arrivals information) and Showreel (basically one long advertisement for all the programming AC offers).
I understand they'll soon be introducing a $10 fee to not watch the free stuff.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
I understand they'll soon be introducing a $10 fee to not watch the free stuff.
Sounds like the Piranha Brothers working out The Operation ...
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
So after all is said and done, you now have less 'choice' than you had before.

On non-XM'ed planes you will always get the main screen, now $5.

You should at least get running movies as per before, and 'extra' content games, movies, TV shows could come at that premium.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
I am curious as to how they charged for it? Did you have to enter a credit card number, or did you pay the FA?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
A work colleage was on a flight from YYZ to California last week. She said at first the IFE demanded a $5 fee, but the FAs reset the system and it was then free.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
And to think that SQ offers about 100 movies, 700 CDs, a large number of TV programs and a whole bunch more that I didn't check out. And on the new 77Ws, screens up to 23" (albeit in F).
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Elite)
Originally Posted by wolvie007
A few people have mentioned over the past weeks the upcoming change to IFE on domestic and transborder flights to charge $5 per flight for IFE. Well...it's now here. I flew 980 to Nassau yesterday (an int'l flight) and had to pay $5 for use of movies, music, etc. on the IFE. No warning, no mention from the FA that this was the new policy. Oh, there's a section for "free" viewing - CBC news (that is not loaded), ACTV (basically Vancouver and Toronto arrivals information) and Showreel (basically one long advertisement for all the programming AC offers).

While $5 is not much, it's disappointing that AC wouldn't notify passengers of this change and that they have basically reduced IFE to nothing if you are not willing to pay. Another "class" act by our friends at AC.
Time to get one of those Ipod touch and bring my own content on board! Sigh, what another hit, especially since AP/AC have not creditied 3 flights that should have brought me to E status in August. (RANT OVER)

$5 (or is it $6 now??) for sandwhich, $2 for pringles and $5 for IFE...sure, its still cheaper than a night at the movies! Oh, and you can have a beer too! (+$$).

Anyone getting charged from YEG>YVR? Have a few flights onthat route over the next couple weeks.

C
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I gotta say, charging for IFE is pretty weak.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by anti_ice
I gotta say, charging for IFE is pretty weak.
Like the coffee? Or the warm beer/wine?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:38 am

First they charge for Pillows and Blankets, now they are charging you to keep entertained during a flight. If im paying $5 to be entertained I expect the flight attendant to come over and do a little song and dance for me.
Next thing you'll know they will charge for Headsets, then AC will officially be a LCC in my eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.