Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How many system wide certs are you presently holding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many system wide certs are you presently holding?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: Sans souci
I have used nothing from my 2006 Elite kit and have added 4 SWUs to my hoard for passing the 15 and 30 k thresholds. I do expect to use my four SSWUs (two earned in December '05 plus the two that I chose for my 2006 kit) before 28 February next year.

With the pass products being what they are, I would be delighted if AC were to offer us another option for the coming benefit year: no SWUs and instead a couple more SSWUs. Somehow, though, I don't think that's going to happen.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 SSWUs and 16 SWUs. MAY be able to use a SWU on Tuesday but it is standby as the flight was ticketed UA although it is an AC flight and is in Y. Why? Because the whole flight was ticketed from VCE, and there are combinations available with LH/UA which are not available LH/AC. Flight is only YYZ ORD anyway so it is not the end of the world, but we will see...would be nice to use one this year!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
5 SSWU's and 13 SWU's. The pass products pretty much mean I use certs only for transcontinentals or the odd time I travel with someone. I would also liked to have a few MLL passes instead to give out to friends family on occasion when they aren't travelling with me.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: AC Elite, Fairmont Premier
Cool

Used nothing from my Elite kit yet, will have added 4 more SWUs after passing 15K earlier this year and 30K later this month. Don't expect to use any as well. Work pays for upfront for most of my travel and when it's in the back we have to book T+ so I can't use the SWUs .....
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There appears to be a concensus appearing here...

And it also suggests that we could use greater flexibility vis a vis certs, even by those using Passes most of the time. So given AE's penchant for "design it yourself" benefits, why not change the cert u/g system to a points one where Ps, Es and SEs at the start of each benefit year have Y, Yx2 and Yx3 credits in our accounts. For each 15K status miles flown we receive another few credits. Then upgrades would be offered using these credits with roughly the same ratio as SWUs and SSWUs represent. So those who don't use SWUs can convert their credits into the equivilent of SSWUs (even though we've gone as high as 3 SWUs per SSWU, it's likely more 2 to 1*). Of course, this does not serve AC since it would prefer unused SWUs to remain unused so there is less call on upgrade inventory. But given fare category changes, the Pass product, etc. it is time to make such adjustments for the elite cert upgrade program.

I have no idea what number of credits should be earned every 15K, nor how many each tier of elitedom should get at the start of the year...but in this regard the mix shouldn't be much different than the current one.

Then if we are booking a TANGO+ fare, we'd use maybe 3 credits, a L fare maybe just 2 credits, and a L+ a single credit. This can easily be applied to the new international fare groupings too, though given flights are longer the number of credits might be slightly higher.

Anyhow, it is clear the current system that has been used since the start of the u/g cert program is no longer compatible with the fare products AC is selling. And I for one would not even complain if we received slightly less under a new scheme, if we had the flexibility that such a scheme would permit.

* Actually, AC itself appears to consider the ratio to be more like 1.5 SWUs to 1 SSWU at least for SEs who get 4 SWUs then 2 SWUs at 45K, then another two batches of SWUs until 75K when another pair of SSWUs arrives, and so on.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I've got 6 SSWU's and it looksl ike only 5 SWU's (noit sure if I lost some some or used them all). Mrs. The Lev has 2 SSWU's and 6 SWU's.

All SSWU's should be gone by Feb 28th with planned overseas travel. Any remaining SWU's likely to be wall paper unless there is an unforecast adventure (possible) in the next few months.

The only time I use certs is for overseas travel. I can't justify the cost differential to buy Lattitude fares and I can use all my SSWU's for international travel so I don't want to waste them on domestic J flight.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I am holding 18 SWUs but will be using 2 of them this month.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Have 14 SWU's, and 4 SSWU's.

I might start using some of the SWU's to UG some pass flights at the 7 day
window, I really don't need the COS bonus as I am over 150K right now, and
don't expect to hit the next significant level of 200K. I think I am owed
4 more SWU's ( at 135 and 150?).

I have not used any SWU's this year, and used 2 SSWU's on a trip to Florida.
My long hauls have almost all been on other carriers on FRTW fares.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
12 SWU's and 6 SSWU's.

But I see the SWU's going down: I use the pass product, but on the E175 that I'm flying, with 6 colleagues all fighting for those J seats, I prefer my 7 day upgrade window instead.

And I piss away 50% bonus points too... Because I want my J seat, not my bonus points.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: BBC World News
I have 8 and will use none. I have never used an SWU.. SSWU yes, SWU, no.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
I have used the 4 NA and 2 SWUs from my E kit. Used the NAs for a YLW-YYZ-YLW and the SWUs to upgrade Mrs T YVR-LHR-YVE on a U fare. I now have 2 more SWUs that I am unlikely to use and will get 4 more from my upcoming trip to AKL.
7 of us are going to Vegas in Dec, would be nice, but not expected to be able to upgrade more than one person at a time.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCOllie

And I piss away 50% bonus points too... Because I want my J seat, not my bonus points.

I book the same way for the same reason.Still manage to get the COS with a few phone calls at the 24 hour window.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: AC 75K
Wow...I'm the minority here. I've used all my NA's and SWUs, currently waiting for my threshold certs. YYZ-YEG flights were packed this summer, so work had to spring for Latitude fares most of the time. Unfortunatly my company is one that does not buy into the passes yet.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I've got 4 SWUs and 2 SSWUs, all of which I'll probably use, as well as some of the additional ones I'll earn. I'm hoping that my end of year flights will give me some that will be good for next year.
The annoying thing about the personalized sysstem is that a couple of times I've not been able to u/g because I've been caught without any, either because I hadn't quite reached a threshold, or was waiting for new ones to arrive. In the past I could always borrow one and pay back when mine arrived. I've not been able to do that this year.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I have only 4 left.

Unlike many of you, I'm never on H/B/etc. fares, I'm booking fairly last minute trips to LHR, GRU, MEX, etc. where Y/M/U are the order of the day, and they are very handy for me

Simon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.