Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is there a MLL or *alliance lounge in Las Vegas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if AC has reinstated access to the shared so-called First Class Lounge in the Charter Terminal through which its flights operate in Las Vegas ?

This was a pleasant facility to pass time away from the crowds; but a year or so ago AC abruptly withdrew from participation. Hence there was no lounge for premium pax.

With AC adding flights to LAS ex YYC and YUL, the need would seem more pressing than ever.

Thanks !
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
I was in LAS in January of this year and was told that there is NO lounge access for AC J class at LAS. My wife did not mind as she got some extra slot playing time
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Retired FF
I was in LAS in January of this year and was told that there is NO lounge access for AC J class at LAS. My wife did not mind as she got some extra slot playing time

A bit of a crap shoot,don't you think?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There are many airports from which AC operates where no lounge is provided. This will increase as CRJs configured with J cabins increase on transborder routes. This can be a costly operation, even paying for access to another airline or private facility. And particulaly on transborder flights where their competition does not provide lounge access for front cabin passengers. I recall having no such access at TPA, which AC has a number of flight to and from, and even has its own staff, unlike LAS. One could make an argument for a STAR facility since US, UA, AC and SQ all operate from LAS, but it appears the American carriers don't care to have such a facility, and SQ's premium customers are paying enough to cover access to a negotiated lounge. I also suspect most of AC's front cabin passengers will be there from using upgrades to op upgrades.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
... One could make an argument for a STAR facility since US, UA, AC and SQ all operate from LAS, .....

AC operates from old charter terminal.UA,US ( not sure SQ)are in the main terminal.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
LAS is a black hole for lounges even in the main terminal. None of the carriers UA, US, or AA have a lounge. I recall there use to be a Delta lounge at the top of the escalators from the tram, but that has since closed. Wonder if this is the airport authority trying to keep people out near the slots?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't think SQ fly to LAS presently but Bmi do, both would go to the same terminal as AC as I think this is where international flights go to. I think the only airline with a lounge is HP, which come to think of it may mean a *A lounge at some point, albeit in the main terminal, not AC's terminal.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnlathropa
This was a pleasant facility to pass time away from the crowds; but a year or so ago AC abruptly withdrew from participation.
You can always pass time away at the slot machines. I've always find it more enjoyable to play the slots than wait in any lounges at LAS.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Don't think SQ fly to LAS presently
No they don't. They have not reinstated that route ever since discontinuing it.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
There is a lounge in the terminal building. The sign on the door states that "first class passengers flying on participating airlines" may access the lounge. Unfortunately, it seems that of the 10 airlines or so that use this terminal building, only Air Canada (and Westjet) do not have access to this lounge for their passengers.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
There is a lounge in the terminal building. The sign on the door states that "first class passengers flying on participating airlines" may access the lounge. Unfortunately, it seems that of the 10 airlines or so that use this terminal building, only Air Canada (and Westjet) do not have access to this lounge for their passengers.
Neither of whom have first class, so doesn't seem to matter either way. It looks pretty small anyway.

I assume that at some point AC will move to the main terminal to join the US/HP flights and their lounge.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
...and SQ's premium customers are paying enough to cover access to a negotiated lounge. I also suspect most of AC's front cabin passengers will be there from using upgrades to op upgrades.
Lounge access is not provided for passengers upgrading with certs. Most op-ups are done at the gate, so again, this is a non-issue. Furthermore, you seem to indicate that SQs (non-existent) pax pay enough to cover lounge access while ACs do not.

With few exceptions, American carriers don't offer lounge access to first/business class passengers on domestic/North America itineraries. Air Canada does, however, provide this as a benefit. The question is how far will they go to provide it.

Essentially, AC has not provided a lounge in LAS (and other US airports such as TPA) for a reason - be that cost, lounge availability, not wanting to also provide access to AC elites/super-elites, or whatever.

I don't think its accurate to say that they couldn't cover the cost of lounge access (maybe $20 a shot) for pax on J fares, however. Looking several weeks ahead, the lowest J fare I see on LAS-YYZ is $1229+ ($1350+ to YUL; $592+ to YYC/YVR; all one-ways). Sure, it would eat into the bottom line, but there is room in that margin.

Last edited by makin'miles; Feb 13, 2006 at 5:30 am
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Neither of whom have first class, so doesn't seem to matter either way. It looks pretty small anyway.

I assume that at some point AC will move to the main terminal to join the US/HP flights and their lounge.
The American terminology for the front cabin in a 2 cabin plane is that it is a "first class" cabin. This would be equivalent to a "business class" cabin of AC's, so that it would qualify.

Or put it another way, if you take a AC Star Alliance business class award on US or UA, you are taking the first class cabin in a 2 cabin plane.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Essentially, AC has not provided a lounge in LAS (and other US airports such as TPA) for a reason - be that cost, lounge availability, not wanting to also provide access to AC elites/super-elites, or whatever.
The lounge in LAS is nothing to write home about, so I generally time my arrival at the terminal to spend the least amount of time possible. Since the security in the charter terminal is pretty quick, you can actually show up about 60 minutes prior to flight and walk through the check-in and security formalities in about 15 mins. If I need a quiet place to take/make a call, I generally use one of the empty gate lounges which are plentiful around the times that AC operates its flights.

BTW in TPA you can use the US Air club in the F pier. It means going through security twice, but it is no different than going into the RCC in EWR.

DF
Old Feb 13, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
The American terminology for the front cabin in a 2 cabin plane is that it is a "first class" cabin. This would be equivalent to a "business class" cabin of AC's, so that it would qualify.
Thought I generally agree with your terminology wrt US domestic flights the lounge that you refer all the decals are for international flights. I would expect that comparing AC J class on an LAS flight is not in the same league as a international first or even business class flight which would both seem more lounge worthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.