Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Way OT: Something's going wrong at JetsGo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Way OT: Something's going wrong at JetsGo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If you want beauty, take VIA Rail for $140 return. Can you say "sucker punch"? It is spring break in a lot of places, but a lot more people won't be goiing anywhere this week.
agreed, except for this weekend its 255 return
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Just as an FYI for anyone who is holding tickets for future SG flights.

Not sure about other Banks, but BMO M/C will process a chargeback for the ticket amount only after the departure date.

Customers must provide original tickets or copies of e-ticket along with a letter by registered mail.
I learned of Jetsgo's demise by the phone ringing at 6:30 am with my brother on the other line. He heard the news on the radio and wanted to know about the status of his YYC-YLW flights for Easter for him and 4 buddies. Yikes. The Jetsgo fares were a reasonable $79 each way (not everyone hets $1 fares ) but now Westjet non-stops were already sold out on the Thursday and almost double the fare on the Friday ones left. Early this am AC had a good return option of $109 on an A320 YLW-YVR-YYC but that disappeared within 30 minutes - so it's Westjet both ways for $139 each way. There must be a lot of smiles of WS faces at YYC Head Office today with this extra revenue...

Jetsgo's press release referred enquiries to the CTA but I thought that would be futile so I called CIBC Visa and they had already placed a message on the customer service line that they had no action plan in place for Jetsgo purchases as yet. I guess we'll have to wait until next week?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
agreed, except for this weekend its 255 return

Like any transport operator, inventory sells out and is limited closest to travel and of course this is a high demand, virtually fully booked period. As with the remaining airlines, they have variable capacity as we all know and seat inventory is priced accordingly.

I was able to book VIA to Montreal over the first weekend of April last night for the $149.80 price on trains I wanted. And my remark was made in reference to flying between these two cities, which would be the normal fare at normal times. I have no illusion that for the next while higher prices will be the norm. But in the long term, things will settle back to these normal levels for advance bookings.

It is only natural that for the next few weeks, remaining fares will go up because remaining capacity will be limited. Tens of thousands of people with JetsGo tickets for the upcoming months will be trying to rebook for travel through the summer. Yes, it will be bad for a while because if all JetsGo customers rebook on AC, WestJet and CanJet, there may still not be enough seats for the rest of us.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I have little sympathy for those stranded: caveat emptor.
One of the most mean spirited comments I have read in a long time.

What did these people do wrong exactly to deserve your wrath? Blame the airline, not the passengers who just bought an airline ticket at an advertised price and have had their vacations ruined. Presumably a lot of those people traveling Jetsgo were there because that's what they could afford.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Jetsgo's press release referred enquiries to the CTA but I thought that would be futile so I called CIBC Visa and they had already placed a message on the customer service line that they had no action plan in place for Jetsgo purchases as yet. I guess we'll have to wait until next week?
I suspect they do not have an action plan as SG has not "technically" been declared insolvent. As a result the best the bank's can do is chargeback based on services not rendered which would only be after the departure date. I suspect each FI will treat this differently but BMO has already initiated processes for Jetsgo customers. I also suspect that as the situation evolved so will the response from the Credit Card companies.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: AC Basic, SPG, Airmiles
Call me a Cynic

"So, it's the first day of one of the busiest travel periods of the year. We've sold thousands of tickets, banked millions of dollars. We're all set; park the planes!" Coincidence?

Expected government action, hand-wringing expressions of sympathy, perhaps an inquiry. Net result? Delay until it's all been forgotten.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
"I have little sympathy for those stranded: caveat emptor."

This is arrogance at it's best!

I never flew Jestgo. However, for thousands of people it has been their only opportunities to get a holiday under the sun for their limited budget. Of course travelling the world with government credits while making films makes it easy to forget the average Joe that only has 3000$ for a family of 4 for a sunny holiday in Cuba or Mexico...

You should apologize for this statement SH. But I suspect you won't because of your arrogance and the blue blood running in your veins.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Gotta love those market forces!
Max Ward was the first to demonstrate that Canada cannot support more than 2 transcons. Every subsequent attempt has met the same fate, the only variation being how long it took.
Feel bad for the F-100 guys, not much call for that TR any more. Platinum Jet ? In your dreams
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
Here's a copy of the initial filed CCAA petition. Some interesting information including financials. For the last 8 months losses are estimated to be $55 million. January and February lost $12 million and $10 million (est) respectively.

http://www.rsmrichter.com/downloads/...-03-11%20A.pdf
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Super Larry
"I have little sympathy for those stranded: caveat emptor."

This is arrogance at it's best!
Is it too much too ask for an average consumer to do a bit of research into his or her prospective purchases? I know we FTers are not really representative of the general flying public, but it wouldn't take too much Googling to uncover JetsGo's horrendous customer service record, its lax approach to safety, and LeBlanc's history of shirking his fiduciary duties.

I realize that for some people, the choice was not between JetsGo and AC, but JetsGo and Greyhound. All things considered, if my resources were that limited, I would have booked Greyhound.

At some point, "caveat emptor" has to come into play. Otherwise, we'd have to compensate every dimbulb who wires his life savings to Nigeria based on an e-mail promising untold riches.

As someone else noted, unless you've been living under a rock since December, you had to know you were taking a gamble buying a JetsGo ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYZC2
As someone else noted, unless you've been living under a rock since December, you had to know you were taking a gamble buying a JetsGo ticket.
Had Jetsgo been the only financial option for me to fly, I still would not have flown them, given their incident record and the number of notices and such that Transport Canada had given them.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: AC *E, BA Silver, Peon in everything else
Originally Posted by Old Flyer
"So, it's the first day of one of the busiest travel periods of the year. We've sold thousands of tickets, banked millions of dollars. We're all set; park the planes!" Coincidence?
I spoke with a VERY happy friend at Westjet this morning... He had heard that Jetsgo pulled the plug last night because a "new" batch of Fokkers was due to arrive today, and the addition would drive them under...
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
listening to the radio today, it seems that no one outside of maybe Leblac saw this coming.

Ground crew had their security passes taken away, flight attendents joined the crown in confusion, talk about going down in flames, no punn intended.

According to Amex, they belive that people who booked with that CC may see the money back, but this caught everyone off guard so no one knows what is going on yet.

An interesting thought, as they reported in the news that people who booked via a travel agent may be protected and get some if not all their money back, people who booked direct are at the mercy of their CCs. Will this create a shift away from online booking and back towards agents?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
CIBC Visa advised NEWSWORLD a few minutes ago that its customers should be covered for reimbursement as long as their travel hadn't started. The number to call is 800.847.2911 for details.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by YYZC2

Absolutely disagree. I wouldn't have flown Jetsgo, most people who post to this board wouldn't either. But most of the populace have a lot more to do in their daily lives than read the financial pages of the newspaper. (Yes, I know recent incidents received news coverage, but that still doesn't mean people would conclude they were "gambling" in buying a tkt. AC has had "incidents" too.)

I think the thing that struck many readers here was the contempt and arrogance of the "caveat emptor" post. Like it or not, that's why consumer protecton laws were passed...to get us out of the industrial revolution mentality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.