Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Buying Aeroplan 50K Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Buying Aeroplan 50K Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Buying Aeroplan 50K Status

Can anyone please tell me if they have experience buying Aeroplan 50K status from another SE member?

Is it allowed? I haven't really seen in mentioned anywhere specifically.

I've been trying to gain 50K status organically and have been having some trouble so that is the reason for the question.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
“Unless otherwise permitted by Air Canada, all benefits and privileges associated with Aeroplan Elite Status are personal to the Status Holder and cannot be assigned, traded, bartered, willed, exchanged for cash, or otherwise transferred.”
Serious question - if you find you don’t travel enough to qualify on your own, what are your specific goals for having 50K?

An awful lot of the benefits can be had from a premium credit card that’s likely to cost far less than you’d have to pay to convince a random SE to gamble their status on selling you an SE perk that can easily be worth thousands of dollars.
yyznomad, msat, ffsim and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Serious question - if you find you don’t travel enough to qualify on your own, what are your specific goals for having 50K?

An awful lot of the benefits can be had from a premium credit card that’s likely to cost far less than you’d have to pay to convince a random SE to gamble their status on selling you an SE perk that can easily be worth thousands of dollars.
Good question - I've had success with E-upgrades from economy to business/prem economy so that's the biggest draw for me. Lounges are a plus but can be achieved via CC, like you said. Being higher on waitlists is great as well but doesn't always materialize.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC does not allow their benefits to be sold

similar answers were given recently when someone asked about buying AC starus passes from another member.. see this post and the replies immediately after
yyznomad, msat, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold

ego
yyznomad, mapleg, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

The thing you're quoting that says you can't "sell" it also says you can't "assign" it or "otherwise transfer" it. And I'm pretty sure that applies to "transferable lounge passes".

We know what they mean (I think?), but they could really work on the phrasing.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The thing you're quoting that says you can't "sell" it also says you can't "assign" it or "otherwise transfer" it. And I'm pretty sure that applies to "transferable lounge passes".

We know what they mean (I think?), but they could really work on the phrasing.
intentionally vague, but with clear enough intent.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:27 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
You can legitimately buy Aeroplan 50K status by buying a 6-month Latitude Flight Pass. The status is granted immediately. You will also receive 90,000 SQM and 90,000 Aeroplan points over the lifetime of the pass, as well as over 20,000 SQD, which will not only result in 75K status until the end of next year, but will put you within arm's reach of SE status.

Of course, it comes with a high cost, but hey, you can't put a price on those YUL Domestic meatballs.
THR, msat, lsquare and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
You can get 50K Status when buying a 6 month unlimited Latitude pass, and SE status when buying a 6 month
unlimited J class pass.
lsquare and Da_Master like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by warrens
You can legitimately buy Aeroplan 50K status by buying a 6-month Latitude Flight Pass. The status is granted immediately. You will also receive 90,000 SQM and 90,000 Aeroplan points over the lifetime of the pass, as well as over 20,000 SQD, which will not only result in 75K status until the end of next year, but will put you within arm's reach of SE status.

Of course, it comes with a high cost, but hey, you can't put a price on those YUL Domestic meatballs.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
You can get 50K Status when buying a 6 month unlimited Latitude pass, and SE status when buying a 6 month
unlimited J class pass.
How much?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lsquare
How much?
https://fp.aircanada.com/wallet/serv...#/shopping/ALL
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
AC does not allow their benefits to be sold
Of course they do. Ask Chase in the US and Amex in Canada. Air Canada is happy to give Chase/Amex license to effectively sell AC status, and all the benefits that come with it, for a cut of the annual fee of each issuer's co-branded credit card.

What you mean to say is that AC does not allow their benefits to be sold if AC is not getting a piece of the action. No matter how full the MLLs become, AC has few hesitations selling benefits for cash, as long as it gets to pocket that cash.

OP's safest bet would be just getting the American Express Air Canada credit card, but that requires an invitation, or making good use of credit card spend-based status boosts and/or Chase's one-up status level perk, or even an end of year status buy offer, all depending on how much travel they do organically.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
Originally Posted by Danthemanto
Can anyone please tell me if they have experience buying Aeroplan 50K status from another SE member?

Is it allowed? I haven't really seen in mentioned anywhere specifically.

I've been trying to gain 50K status organically and have been having some trouble so that is the reason for the question.
Selling status is one of those 'The TCs say no, but we still do it' kinda thing.

I know quite a few peeps who has been selling them for a decade now and it is still very much alive, and due to the nature of the activity, it is somewhat harder for AC to identify whether a benefit is gifted without financial compensation. After all, the terms do not prohibit or specifically exclude who you can gift your status benefit to, it only says you can't barter or sell it.

I have not personally known anyone who got their SE or 75K account suspended for selling their select benefit, but that's not to say there aren't risks associated, though. So YMMV.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jason77W
After all, the terms do not prohibit or specifically exclude who you can gift your status benefit to, it only says you can't barter or sell it.
They explicitly say you can't transfer or assign benefits. So even gifting it is against the terms.
msat likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They explicitly say you can't transfer or assign benefits. So even gifting it is against the terms.
I would disagree. The sentence referred to also includes (starts with) "Unless otherwise agreed to by Air Canada......". The T&C also incorporates the status benefits by reference. So the 50 K for a Friend benefit or Status Pass can be gifted by virute of their description. Other benefits are intended solely for the status holder.
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.