Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day 2023 / New Year's 2024 promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boxing Day 2023 / New Year's 2024 promos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
There is a 25% promo code now letting me book my Boxing Day booking at the same price.
Huh ? For International too ? Please PM the code.
Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
Huh ? For International too ? Please PM the code.
No need for cloak and dagger, it's public.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No need for cloak and dagger, it's public.
oh, ok Thanks. I thought there was a code for International too.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:32 pm

How come a search via Google Flights without using the promo code leads to the same flight prices as starting from AC's website and using the promo code?

it makes this promo seem as a misleading non-promo
Old Dec 29, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
How come a search via Google Flights without using the promo code leads to the same flight prices as starting from AC's website and using the promo code?

it makes this promo seem as a misleading non-promo
Check if the Google Flights result is displaying a basic fare. The AC website will only apply promo codes to standard fares and above.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:12 pm

It often happens that google applies Air Canada codes automatically.

I'm always tracking the same set of flights--YXS=YKA--and when AC introduces a code, the price on google will, often but not always, drop that percentage off the base fare.
hoipolloi, Adam Smith and MNLIST like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:19 pm

Well the New Year Sale started today with 180 destinations on sale. Except where I plan to fly I guess because the price is exactly the same as before the 'sale'.
Also earn upto 10K AE points per round trip.
Registration required.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:40 pm

I did enjoy the section that said:

It’s easy to save! Choose your destination and pick your sale fare, no registration or promo code required.
Immediately followed by a big blue button that said "Register and Book".
salteen likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Well the New Year Sale started today with 180 destinations on sale. Except where I plan to fly I guess because the price is exactly the same as before the 'sale'.
Also earn upto 10K AE points per round trip.
Registration required.
Yes, same for me. I did not see any difference for destinations I have been monitoring.

Don't be confused by the e mail - "no registration or promo code required" is one of the first things you see. However, that is only for the "sale". For the bonus points you must register!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:52 pm

Flight Pass Bookings Eligible for Bonus Point Promo?

Anyone knows if flight pass bookings qualify for this bonus point promotion? Terms and conditions exclude flight redemptions and cash+points bookings. So not sure if flight pass bookings are excluded. Thanks

The bonus point promotion is the one announced yesterday about up to 10k points for bookings made by Jan 9 and travel by year-end.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: various
I was monitoring several routes closely before the sale, mostly popular European destinations. After the sale was launched they were all either the same or higher than before the announcement. Not one was less.

Problem is, no official monitoring to stop this kind of behaviour, pretty low.
Wigg, billdokes and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
I was monitoring several routes closely before the sale, mostly popular European destinations. After the sale was launched they were all either the same or higher than before the announcement. Not one was less.

Problem is, no official monitoring to stop this kind of behaviour, pretty low.
Doesn't this seem to happen every time they run a 'sale'?

Problem is, the Consumer Protection Authorities haven't a clue how to police this. In other Retail environments for example there are strict rules around the savings claims that a retailer can make and some have been sued successfully and fined for not following the proper practices. Part of the problem is the complexity of airline pricing and the airline's ability to manipulate pricing in the market by removing inventory in certain fare buckets. A sweater is a sweater is a sweater at Old Navy (an example of a Retailer who has been sued successfully) but a seat is not a seat at AC...it's a Comfort, Flex, Standard or Basic seat first and then there's all the different fare levels within the fare families, where inventory can be removed so that the 'sale' only takes the % off from a certain fare base. Not something your basic bureaucrat is going to probably fully understand or be able to police.

They also get away with the 'hide-a-fare' marketing where they advertise a VERY attractive fare on a certain route or routes, but then try to find that fare...good luck especially with AC's search capabilities on the website which are designed not to lead Customers with date/time flexibility to the best prices within a period but make it as hard as possible to find the 'best' fare over a range of dates.

Pretty shady business practices if you ask me, but there is no proper policing from the Consumer Protection bodies, so the beat will go on...
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by billdokes
Doesn't this seem to happen every time they run a 'sale'?

Problem is, the Consumer Protection Authorities haven't a clue how to police this. In other Retail environments for example there are strict rules around the savings claims that a retailer can make and some have been sued successfully and fined for not following the proper practices. Part of the problem is the complexity of airline pricing and the airline's ability to manipulate pricing in the market by removing inventory in certain fare buckets. A sweater is a sweater is a sweater at Old Navy (an example of a Retailer who has been sued successfully) but a seat is not a seat at AC...it's a Comfort, Flex, Standard or Basic seat first and then there's all the different fare levels within the fare families, where inventory can be removed so that the 'sale' only takes the % off from a certain fare base. Not something your basic bureaucrat is going to probably fully understand or be able to police.

They also get away with the 'hide-a-fare' marketing where they advertise a VERY attractive fare on a certain route or routes, but then try to find that fare...good luck especially with AC's search capabilities on the website which are designed not to lead Customers with date/time flexibility to the best prices within a period but make it as hard as possible to find the 'best' fare over a range of dates.

Pretty shady business practices if you ask me, but there is no proper policing from the Consumer Protection bodies, so the beat will go on...
AC games consumers via marketing that's not 100% honest and other tactics (like trying to get away from paying APPR compensation) so sometimes I think it's "fair game" that some consumers game AC's loyalty program.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I've seen instances where the "sale" prices are clearly higher than what they were just a day or two before. I've also seen them come out a bit lower. There seems to be no clear pattern.

If I need to be somewhere, I check fares and schedules. If I'm happy with what I see, I book it. If I'm not happy with what I see, I'll try some other airlines to see if they have better deals. They often do, and since I'm not blindly loyal to AC, I'll often book with them instead. It's the reason I never quite make SE, and it's the reason it will take longer for me to hit MM than it would otherwise but I don't care. I book travel based on what best suits my needs, not the airline's.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by muskoka
I think (and hope) you are correct about this. I booked YYC-OGG last Jan 5 for 2 of us in Comfort using the Companion pass
for $1182 all-in for travel in Dec 2023. The same trip for Dec 2024 is pricing right now at $1611. Im hoping this will come down before my Companion
pass expires Feb 5/24.
The price of this trip dropped about $100 the day of this new "Sale" thats not a sale. Its still pricing about $320 higher than a year ago FWIW.
I will wait until just before my Companion pass expires then I will have to decide what to do. Basic fares for the same time next Dec is pricing about $60 higher than WJ.
Maybe still a price drop in the future. We will see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.