Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
As of January 28, 2024
As of April 10, 2024

Where's My Package?
For those who have come to this thread for information on receiving your 2024 packages in the mail, AC is still sending them out. Yes, consistently inconsistent, and competently incompetent.
There is no change in the design of the luggage tags or membership card. The only new item is a keychain card (see below for a picture).

Stop your whining about having physical cards
Just because YOU have NEVER been asked to furnish a physical card doesn't mean that nobody needs a physical card. Also, just because YOU can't think of a reason, doesn't mean that there is no reason. This has been an ongoing, pedantic, and incessant dialogue in this forum for years. If you've never been asked for your card, you probably haven't flown enough, especially on other *A airlines in other parts of the world. SO STOP IT.

The Great 75K Debacle of 2024 tl;dr (if you're rolling your eyes, relax; this is tongue in cheek)

For those who believe that they received a 75K package in error, here's the tl;dr version (this thread is a painful read, so read the entire thread if you're a masochist like me (yyznomad)):
  • Check your online account and the AC App - if it shows you're 75K even though you expected to reflect a lower status level, then 75K is yours for 2024!
  • Unofficial reports: AC acknowledging their mistake in sending out 75K packages to those who were 75K in 2023 but didn't requalify for 75K in 2024
  • Unofficial reports: AC confirming that they are allowing these mistake 75Ks to keep 75K status for 2024.
  • Those who fall in the above cohort have confirmed that their online status shows as 75K and were provided with 75K benefit selections, so although we haven't had any official proof from AC, the reported evidence is mounting...
  • Others have reported being lower than 75K in 2023 but still getting a bump to 75K for 2024. There may be other reasons for this that are not necessarily related to the aforementioned "mistake" 75K debacle:
    • For example, you may have been near the 75K threshold in at least one of the *QM categories in 2023, and AC gave you a freebie bump up (this would be status quo to prior years, so nothing new)
  • There are reports of account glitches where one gets to choose benefits twice and have "doubled up" on benefits, such as eUps. This may or may not be related to the aforementioned mistake 75K debacle.
  • Conjecture: Based on the anecdotal evidence so far, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that AC just gave more bump ups to 75K because they couldn't contain or fix the original mistake-75K issue properly.

2024 Keychain Card
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
They are just a keychain.

the backside of the keychain has
- One’s Aeroplan Number
- Expiry Month/Year
- First name initial and Last Name
- Barcode

*This photo is sponsored by the ‘Inclusion for All 75K’ Advocacy Group 🤝

Print Wikipost

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HappyinLIH
I am a current 75k member. I just go a 75k package today and only qualified for 50k in 2024 as of now. Date on the card is Dec. 2024, digital card is 2023.

I watch the promo emails and like to think I know my way around the program.

I selected lower re-qualification, and hit the 45 sectors to get 50k for 2023. I have an infinite level aeroplan CC too. Not sure if i'm missing something or this is a massive error.

I'm assuming there are a lot of 75k people who qualified through the 2 for 1 sectors during covid like I did. I hate to slide down to 50k, but at least it's still star alliance gold?
Read above. Massive error.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Read above. Massive error.
But is it actually confirmed to be an error, or some strange promo no one knows about???

Seems odd for a multi billion dollar airline to make such an error. If so, I feel bad for the employee who is sweating out the holiday season thinking about this.....
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
But is it actually confirmed to be an error, or some strange promo no one knows about???

Seems odd for a multi billion dollar airline to make such an error. If so, I feel bad for the employee who is sweating out the holiday season thinking about this.....
Occam's razor:

1. Air Canada IT ....ed something up and used the 2023 75K list to send the 2024 75K packages.
2. Air Canada decided to give 75K to a whole pile of people who had it last year and didn't come remotely close to qualifying for it this year, without saying anything to them or announcing anything.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Occam's razor:

1. Air Canada IT ....ed something up and used the 2023 75K list to send the 2024 75K packages.
2. Air Canada decided to give 75K to a whole pile of people who had it last year and didn't come remotely close to qualifying for it this year, without saying anything to them or announcing anything.
Ok I agree with the simpler explanation. Still find it odd though, why send out the packages that have achieved 75k for 2024 before the end of the year? What is someone went on a sector or milage run end of December? They could qualify for 100k technically and require another package Jan. 1.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ok I agree with the simpler explanation. Still find it odd though, why send out the packages that have achieved 75k for 2024 before the end of the year? What is someone went on a sector or milage run end of December? They could qualify for 100k technically and require another package Jan. 1.
This has always been an issue.

If you've qualified for SE, and you're "far" from the next MM tier, it's safe to send out the package early.

Otherwise, I don't understand why they don't wait longer. A J one-way could get you 15k SQM and a crapload of SQD.

Meanwhile, I am SE (have been since the year started due to all the banked years), I am 670k from 2MM, and I do not have my package. There is zero chance the card they knew I'd need in January will change by EOY.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:56 pm

I'm not certain about the logistics of card printing and mailing, but if AC wants to take some pressure of the system it would be an easy query to run (sometime in Dec.) those who have requalified and unlike to reach the next level. They could even take into account bookings for the remainder of the year.

But the resources would be better spent ensuring SQx are posted accurately and on a timely basis!
Old Dec 30, 2023, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wigg
I'm not certain about the logistics of card printing and mailing, but if AC wants to take some pressure of the system it would be an easy query to run (sometime in Dec.) those who have requalified and unlike to reach the next level. They could even take into account bookings for the remainder of the year.

But the resources would be better spent ensuring SQx are posted accurately and on a timely basis!
And yet I don't have my package, while sitting on 6 banked years of SE, a level up (having met the 75K requirements a long time ago), and have been within spitting distance of the SE SQD for well over a month (and it remained that way until they recently corrected the SQD discrepancies).

And people who haven't actually requalified are receiving kits.

I agree there's a smart way to do it. It's not this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

They'd have done better having their intern mail everyone the same card with a set of self applidd stickers to desigate whatever status level they want.

​​​​​A better idea: An airline should innovate and send out e-ink bag tags/membership cards. (like grocery stores use for pricing). Any status update could happen automagically the next time they are near any of that Airline's counters or lounges. Hmm. it could even update SQM etc
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Yeah, despite my worries I ended up taking two local trips this last quarter and nudged over 75k SQD at the end of October.
I got my email a while ago, but no package yet. More of AC IT consistent inconsistencies.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Maybe they got flooded again? Which year was that?
yyznomad likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Yeah, despite my worries I ended up taking two local trips this last quarter and nudged over 75k SQD at the end of October.
I got my email a while ago, but no package yet. More of AC IT consistent inconsistencies.
I hit 75K just after Labour Day and still haven't seen anything. I wouldn't mind some new bag tags to replace the old chewed up ones, but what matters more is that it all works electronically for ticketing and e-ups (which it does).
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Occam's razor:

I agree with you on the likely cause (#1 above)

The interesting question is what AC will do about it, now that it's happened.
A. Send a letter to all the incorrect recipients, saying "just kidding" - and potentially upsetting a decent number of good customers, or
B. Fallback to your #2 scenario above. That may not have been what they originally intended to do, but I wonder if it's the path of least resistance now.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by canopus27

A. Send a letter to all the incorrect recipients, saying "just kidding" - and potentially upsetting a decent number of good customers, or
B. Fallback to your #2 scenario above. That may not have been what they originally intended to do, but I wonder if it's the path of least resistance now.
Or "Oops, we messed up. Enjoy your new luggage tags."
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Or "Oops, we messed up. Enjoy your new luggage tags."
Or: No public acknowledgement whatsoever.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by canopus27

It probably depends on how many people are involved, but honoring their mistake would be the right thing to do for those people and the best way for them to save face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.