Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Passenger forced to drag himself off flight after AC failed to provide wheelchair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger forced to drag himself off flight after AC failed to provide wheelchair

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by expert7700
The seating location for those with the worst mobility issues have always been baffling. On several AC flights, late in the boarding process I have seen ground crews and flight attendants take aisle chairs (or in extreme situations, baggage handlers lift & carry a customer) way, way back.

I get that most passengers buy basic fares, and premium seats are kept for elite passengers & upsells.... but still!

There could be reasons at play why disabled pax pick seats further back (proximity to the lavs, seating with family or friends). Yet nobody involved ever seemed to question walking past many suitable non premium rows to get to row 44. Seems like extra work, risk of employee injury, and far less discrete (I'd imagine some might be self concious of their inability to board without assistance).

On the LAS flight that made the news, what are the chances that crews felt they were permitted to only use them if needed in flight or for emergency evacuation? Does their training state that ground service crews must provide all labor/equipment for general boarding/deplaning?

That happens on other airlines too. I just flew on United and Lufthansa a month ago. I had 2 flights in one direction, and 3 back (sort of open jaw). I was seated in several different locations throughout the plane. Only on one did I sit near the front. One thing that happened was that i was boarded via a lift truck through the rear doors, and seated in the last row. However, at the destination they didn’t have lift trucks, so I had to be pushed in the aisle chair from the last row all the way up to them front door. If I were seated in the front going the other way, they would have to cart me all the way back to the lift truck. It seems to me that it does not matter where I sit. I like when I can choose where to sit and would not want to be forced to sit in only one area.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:47 pm

The Canadian Transportation Agency has handed Air Canada a fine of $97,500 after a passenger who uses a wheelchair was made to drag himself off a plane in Las Vegas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.7067154
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by tracon
The Canadian Transportation Agency has handed Air Canada a fine of $97,500 after a passenger who uses a wheelchair was made to drag himself off a plane in Las Vegas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.7067154
I'm sure AC will try to get their service provider in Vegas to cover the fine.
Wigg likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
As will BA when a man had to be taken off via food trolleys in YVR.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2294020675912
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
I would hope so. Or at least the lose the contract, and AC finds a new service provider in Vegas.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I would hope so. Or at least the lose the contract, and AC finds a new service provider in Vegas.
On the surface that sounds nice, but there are realities to deal with aren't there? Sometimes the airline is locked into a long term contract with a service provider. It's tough to discipline the workers because of the collective agreements too. And when the airlines do change the service provider, the unions have a hissy fit. Case in point was the changeover at YUL trom Swissport to a Quebec-based non-unionized company - Trans-Sol Aviation Service, Menzies Aviation and Samsic Airport Services. Unifor demanded government action to stop the change.
Some of the people the 3rd party contractors hire are not fit for purpose. Yes, airlines are legally liable, but the ground service providers (and it includes wheelchair service) must be held accountable.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
On the surface that sounds nice, but there are realities to deal with aren't there? Sometimes the airline is locked into a long term contract with a service provider. It's tough to discipline the workers because of the collective agreements too. And when the airlines do change the service provider, the unions have a hissy fit. Case in point was the changeover at YUL trom Swissport to a Quebec-based non-unionized company - Trans-Sol Aviation Service, Menzies Aviation and Samsic Airport Services. Unifor demanded government action to stop the change.
Some of the people the 3rd party contractors hire are not fit for purpose. Yes, airlines are legally liable, but the ground service providers (and it includes wheelchair service) must be held accountable.
Pain only works when the right thing hurts.

This exact incident, IDK. I've got no idea what contact AC has. I do hope that, moving forward, they have a better template for future contracts, and/or aggressively go after the Vegas provider who did not provide.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The lawyer solution to every problem is to write it into a contract somewhere. But while contracts may give you recourse after the fact, a little bit of common sense and empathy from AC's own employees on this flight could have averted this horrible situation to begin with.

It's lawyers' job to think about how to limit liability for the worst possible situation. It's everyone else's job to avoid things getting to that point.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Pain only works when the right thing hurts.

This exact incident, IDK. I've got no idea what contact AC has. I do hope that, moving forward, they have a better template for future contracts, and/or aggressively go after the Vegas provider who did not provide.
A negative side effect of industry wide out sourcing. In any one flight, think about the number touch points that involve out sourcing. The airport authority outsources nearly every aspect of their operations, fueling, baggage handling, terminal operations. Airlines out source food prep, aircraft cleaning(?), maintenance(?), guest relations (as in this scenario). When something goes wrong, YOU might be contracted with the airline but the actual service you receive might be from an outsourced company contracted by the airline. Your recourse is with the airline.

In some cases outsourcing makes sense, in others it's more about cutting costs or isolating liabilities, at the expense of customer experience.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have seen some regulations in Asia on GH and certainly the regulator categorically says the Airline is responsible even if it is outsourced so I guess depending on the contract AC has with the service it is AC who has to cough it up at least on paper.
Does anyone know if the passenger is getting any part of the fine as compensation?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
https://media.aircanada.com/2023-11-...h-Disabilities

I don't know enough to say if this will help much, but at least it sounds like they are trying to make proactive improvements.
Having multiple family members with varying disabilities who still enjoy travelling from time to time so what possibly can AC be thinking here?

And respectfully must heartily disagree with the idea that AC is trying to be proactive with this new Disablity Plan.

The relevant legislation was last updated in 2019, so AC has had 4 years to make this work.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...244/index.html

Plus, the CTA investigation would have generated a demand for AC operational records at some point. This would have triggered for AC senior mgmt that sombody do something before the bad press hits.

And not clear from the reporting, but if AC makes excuse the contractor "did it", well, then maybe federal Transport Minister should remind AC that their common carrier licence requires compliance with all the laws of Canada, regardless of where they operate

Last edited by Lloydbraun1976; Dec 26, 2023 at 9:46 pm Reason: ed conclusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.