Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Aeroplan Improvements (October 2023 announcement)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Aeroplan Improvements (October 2023 announcement)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
As an SE, I don't see any real new benefits but the SE program is pretty good as it is right now. Although high SQD spenders are seemly ignored after a while.

I don't love having to fight everyone for a preferred seat when I buy at the last moment and I have 3 kids so I don't care about kids but yes, the cafe is my happy quiet place. It has gotten busier and "my" seat has been occupied the last little while I've been there.

The day there is a lineup down the hall for the cafe will be a disappointing day for me
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The caf announcement is unfortunate. At times its way too crowded. Not sure what the point is.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
No need to argue over children - anything that allows more people into the YYZ Cafe is a net negative. I've been in the Cafe what 4 weeks in a row now, and it has remained the one decent lounge in YYZ where I can get a seat, a drink and work quietly on my laptop. I'm not sure what the point of this "enhancement" is at all.
They probably think it makes no sense to have one lounge at 50% occupancy while the once across the hall has a line out the door.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The caf announcement is unfortunate...

....Not sure what the point is.
AC has a reputation...(a "brand standard") for their MLLs.

The cafe was normally quiet and uncrowded. Clearly they needed to fix this. Now the Cafe will be equally crowded and chaotic.
painintheuk and billdokes like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 28, 2023 at 12:30 am
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: TK *G
Cough, cough, the YTZ Cafe... It's probably the least busy AC lounge and it's better than most MLLs, but I hope not many people know about that...

VIA is having a slew of equipment issues recently, to the extend that they often have to use some already faulty locomotives, only to have them breaking down halfway, potentially blocking all trains behind. I try to avoid flying in winter but I am seriously considering PD and AC for a few Eastern Triangle trips for the next two months. The YTZ Cafe will definitely make any potential delays more bearable.
martyYOW likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There are well behaved children. And there are badly behaved adults. By weight of numbers, yes, adults are more responsible for lounge overcrowding than children, and yes, there are more badly behaved adults in lounges than badly behaved children.

However, the jerk talking too loudly on his conference call and other poorly behaved adults can often be shamed in to better behavior, and usually have a somewhat limited range of disruption (10 feet or so?). On the other hand, several of my recent YYZ DOM MLL visits have featured children running around shrieking, which could be heard more than halfway across the lounge. Weary parents are often disinclined to deal with said children, and tend to bristle at any remarks made about the behaviour of their little angels. So when children do behave badly, in my view, they tend to be much more disruptive than adults.
I was trying to avoid the kids thing; however, I would like to just echo not "All Kids" the same way there are a lot of misbehaving adults and I would argue adults IMHO are the more problematic ones. One of my kids has status and they have been flying Intl J since they were 4 and I suspect you'll find you never hear a peep from them because I take a lot of time ensuring they do not disrupt the poor business flyer trying to get a few hours of sleep before landing and heading straight to the meeting. But I agree not all do that.

To me it is all caused by the overcrowding problem with access being given away like candy causing a lot of occasional tourist fliers coming in who I think don't respect FF etiquette. When you have a place that crowded it will just be naturally loud in a crowded space like that. Especially now that most of the lounges have dorm style tables to shove even more people in.

So it doesn't bother me there will be more kids in the cafe. It bothers me more there will be no chance to get a seat since it feels like half those flying have lounge access these days. Perhaps AC needs to follow what I've seen at Amex lounges and simply limit access at a certain capacity.

Last edited by yowcat; Oct 28, 2023 at 5:17 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Children are (in my experience) a very small minority in lounges. This change will be good for folks who have cafe access but cant avail themselves of it if theyre traveling with two kids. I doubt it will make any significant difference to numbers. Moreover I suspect disruptive kids wont be a problem in that quiet environment as any disruption will be obvious to staff and, frankly, parents. The MLLs (the big ones) are zoos, where barbarism abounds, so its no wonder children join in.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Children are (in my experience) a very small minority in lounges. This change will be good for folks who have cafe access but cant avail themselves of it if theyre traveling with two kids. I doubt it will make any significant difference to numbers. Moreover I suspect disruptive kids wont be a problem in that quiet environment as any disruption will be obvious to staff and, frankly, parents. The MLLs (the big ones) are zoos, where barbarism abounds, so its no wonder children join in.
I agree with this. On a Tuesday morning in October, I see no kids in lounges. On a Saturday in July, of course there are plenty, but for the most part I find the overcrowding is adults and AC being too generous with access. Cutting out the 35k's hasn't seemed to move the needle.
billdokes and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:30 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Big nothing burger for me. Dont fly domestic so the cafe stuff doesnt affect me. Also dont buy flight passes, but I suppose I like that I dont have to randomly pick one of the meaningless select benefits that Ill never use anymore.

The change to the lower re-qual benefit is interesting. Probably still wont pick it, but it does add an element of being not just lower re-qual but also an effective lower threshold for threshold gifts and eUps
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
E-mail from Mark Nasr, and on the Aeroplan news page.

[E]ditorial comment: the lack of crowding and screaming children was making the Caf experience inconsistent with MLLs

Exactly my takeaway! Well - not the screaming kids so much, but the lack of crowding part.

I just don't travel as much any more, as if I ever did, so hopefully my absence helps .

How do they decide on these "improvements"/enhancements?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 28, 2023 at 6:10 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Of note, the enhanced Lower Requalification Select Benefit still doesn't provide any SQDs - between $500 to $1000 would be the appropriate equivalent. That's why I've always found this benefit to mostly useless for SEs, especially if you have a premium credit card. You're likely getting a decent amount of SQMs though rollover, and spend. Hitting 100k SQM is still E75K if you're only at $10k SQD.

My case, I hit 100K SQM in May, and won't be at 20K SQD until next month.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Of note, the enhanced Lower Requalification Select Benefit still doesn't provide any SQDs - between $500 to $1000 would be the appropriate equivalent. That's why I've always found this benefit to mostly useless for SEs, especially if you have a premium credit card. You're likely getting a decent amount of SQMs though rollover, and spend. Hitting 100k SQM is still E75K if you're only at $10k SQD.

My case, I hit 100K SQM in May, and won't be at 20K SQD until next month.
They've made it very clear on many occasions that the vast majority of Elite members have way more SQD than they need for their SQM/S.

If you're on FT, you're probably into the "game" of optimizing your travel, and are therefore less likely to fall into that category. But we're the minority.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
VIA is having a slew of equipment issues recently, to the extend that they often have to use some already faulty locomotives, only to have them breaking down halfway, potentially blocking all trains behind. I try to avoid flying in winter but I am seriously considering PD and AC for a few Eastern Triangle trips for the next two months. The YTZ Cafe will definitely make any potential delays more bearable.
YTZ Cafe is probably going to be mostly unaffected by this policy change... families typically drive between Toronto and Ottawa/Montreal instead of flying through Billy Bishop, especially if they live east of the city. And the ones that do fly will mostly go through Pearson instead because it's closer to where more families live (Mississauga, Brampton, Kitchener/Waterloo etc), and has the better overall flight schedule & planes. Plus YYZ has long-term parking.

As a supporting data point..... I've seen an average of one child on the half-dozen YTZ-YUL flights I've taken so far this year.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They've made it very clear on many occasions that the vast majority of Elite members have way more SQD than they need for their SQM/S.
Shout out to all the people who do two YYZ-LHR trips in J in a calendar year and hit the SQD requirement for Super Elite, but don't have enough SQM for 25K....
billdokes likes this.

Last edited by warrens; Oct 29, 2023 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
If the changes to lower requalification take place next year could anyone shed some light on why I am seeing "5,000 SQM rollover applied."? This is from an account that doesn't have a credit card. Is this a visual glitch?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:15 pm

How about they improve their partner availability, award flight search ability, and allowing the creation of family share pools again? You know, the stuff that actually matters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.