Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Acquire 30 ES-30 Electric Regional Aircraft from Heart Aerospace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to Acquire 30 ES-30 Electric Regional Aircraft from Heart Aerospace

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by blue2002
1) The max range is NOT 200km. 200km is the max range for "all electric". Max range in hybrid mode with 30 pax is 400km. It goes up to 800km with 25 pax. https://heartaerospace.com/es-30/ .

2) By the time this plane goes into service (2028 at earliest, right?), batteries will have evolved, and they will continue to evolve. Actually, even the manufacturer refers to this in the 2nd section of https://heartaerospace.com/es-30/ .

3) These are early days of aerospace electrification. Remember how ten years ago folks would look with incredulity at anyone buying an EV? 10 years from now airlines will be clamouring to get into a queue for all-electric airframes. And these airframes will get bigger. Right now we are talking about a 30-pax puddle jumper. 10 years or less from now we will be talking about the electrical equivalents of A220. It is a wise move for Air Canada to get in on this trend and enter the learning curve early on.

The interesting question (not addressed on the manufacturer's site) is what will be the fastest re-charge time.
The max range isn't anything yet.

All the pretty pictures that accompany the press releases are "artist's renderings". That AC and Saab have pitched in a measly $5 mil each should tell us how serious they are about this.

The electrical equivalent of A220 in 10 years? It's not that simple, and scaling up in size will not automatically translate into scaling up the range to the 6,000km the A220 does now. The Tesla semi has around a 600-mile range, empty. That's only a 50% improvement, roughly, over the Model S. So if this mythical electric airplane could do Calgary to Red Deer in 2028, the even more mythical unicorn ES-220 might go as far as Edmonton, maybe. Wow!!!

And the 200km range, from their press release, is based on "late 2020s" technology. And will double 10 years from then? Anything is possible, I suppose.

Air Canada just trying to get ahead of the curve on this ESG nonsense. What a load of BS.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
One thing to consider is that the turn time for a 30 seat aircraft is generally going to be higher than an 18 seat aircraft, so while I agree they'd definitely need more for charging, part of that will be offset by the fact that it's a larger aircraft.
Yes (WS seems to block about 30-34 minutes for their Saab 340s, which have 30-34 seats), although I was trying to compare the economics of the BEH operation, which AC abandoned, to potentially operating the same routes with ES-30s. Obviously more pax would bring more revenue, but going to 30 seats also necessitates an FA. A galley and a full lav also presumably add weight and operating cost. So there are a bunch of other factors that will impact the economics.

However, what is "50 minutes"? Is that from 0% to 100%? If the YHZ-YQM only depletes it down to 50% or whatever, what charge time is required? And you can generally charge 0% to 80% in less time than 80% to 100%. So if they keep it around 80%, and only use it down to 30% on that route, could the 50 minutes be reduced to 20?
Obviously these calculations are going to get very complex. They've said the all-electric range is 200 km. They say that includes reserves. But they've also said the generators are there to provide reserves, so that implies that maybe 200 km is the actual limit on battery. In which case, a 163 km flight should deplete over 80% of the battery (I'm assuming consumption is fairly linear, other than during take-off climb). And I was figuring that "30 to 50 minutes" probably meant something like 0-80% in 30 and 0-100% in 50.

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive economic analysis, just a quick look at how going to ES-30s might impact utilization on this type of route.

Originally Posted by blue2002
The max range is NOT 200km. 200km is the max range for "all electric". Max range in hybrid mode with 30 pax is 400km. It goes up to 800km with 25 pax.
Acknowledged many times over. But the farther you fly, the more fuel you burn, the less green it becomes. And at 800 km range, you've now reduced your available inventory by 16%, meaning you're going to need to charge a lot higher price for those seats you do sell.

2) By the time this plane goes into service (2028 at earliest, right?), batteries will have evolved, and they will continue to evolve. Actually, even the manufacturer refers to this in the 2nd section of https://heartaerospace.com/es-30/ .
That doesn't appear to be what they're saying. The more logical interpretation of everything they've put out is they expect it to do 200 km in 2028 at EIS, and maybe future battery tech would improve it later.

These are early days of aerospace electrification. Remember how ten years ago folks would look with incredulity at anyone buying an EV? 10 years from now airlines will be clamouring to get into a queue for all-electric airframes. And these airframes will get bigger. Right now we are talking about a 30-pax puddle jumper. 10 years or less from now we will be talking about the electrical equivalents of A220. It is a wise move for Air Canada to get in on this trend and enter the learning curve early on.
The speed of evolution of automobile EVs suggests that timeline is fanciful. Battery technology has not been improving by the huge margins that it needs to in order to compete effectively with fossil fuels in transportation, especially in aviation, where energy density is so important.

Putting this on an automative timeline, we're not in 2010 right now, we're in the late 90s or early 2000s, GM EV1, Honda Insight, that kind of stuff. And Teslas and Volts and Leafs etc are still expensive niche products.

Originally Posted by The Lev
adamsmith I think AC is telegraphing that by 2028 they want to start getting back into some of these small markets.
I don't think that's the case. I think the fact they abandoned so many of those routes suggests this is more likely to be a PR exercise than a serious desire to fly things like YVR-YBL.

With regards to the batteries evolving over time, what Heart doesn't mention is that batteries also degrade over time, so 200 km range may well become 100 km range after 10 years (given disproportionate energy to get to cruise altitude)... so AC will likely end up replacing the batteries two or three times over the aircraft's service life with presumably higher capacity cells.
Frightening from a cost perspective. With cars, at least there's a lot less maintenance, but with four props and two turbo generators, is the ES-30 really going to have a lot less maintenance than a Dash?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 15, 2022 at 9:05 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: United 1K
"This can be extended to 400 km with power supplemented by the generators" What a ridiculous statement for an electric aircraft HAHAHA
You can't fly with a lithium battery powered wheelchair but we can charge this plane in 30min and sent it thru the skies no worries...
A worthless aircraft IMO...
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Speaking of frightening, how many people would rush to fly these planes, assuming they ever make it into production. I, for one, would be hesitant at first, to put it mildly.

I also worry about the political pressure on the regulator to allow it into service.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Speaking of frightening, how many people would rush to fly these planes, assuming they ever make it into production. I, for one, would be hesitant at first, to put it mildly.

I also worry about the political pressure on the regulator to allow it into service.
I'd have no concern getting on one once they're approved and the pilots have done their training.

If an engine cuts out, there's three more. And fuel reserves, which likely have a fairly separate drive train (or whatever it's called in this context). And if all four engines cut out, as long as we're not on the initial climb, I'm still not that concerned.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
You, and all the people who said that they would never fly on the MAX-8's because they were unsafe.

Planes which are, coincidentally, jammed full these days.

Originally Posted by The Lev
I'm having a hard time understanding how going from 30 to 25 passengers doubles the range from 400 to 800 km.
They neglected to mention that the remaining 25 passengers will also be required to pedal
D582, TheCanuckian and Bobert59 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 15, 2022 at 10:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:31 pm

Harbour Air has converted one of it's Beavers to electric.
It regularly does test flights.
Will be doing revenue flights in the next couple years.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by yeg2where
Its not that relevant because you can put the batteries in the heated part of the fuselage.
Is the fuselage heated overnight? If it's -10 to -20 in say YQT, YEG or YWG, isn't that ambient air temp going to affect the battery? How long is it going to take to bring that battery up to ideal operating temperature.
I think it's a great idea, but I think some climates work better than others, those above the say the 45th parallel would be more difficult that those below.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: AC SE, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd have no concern getting on one once they're approved and the pilots have done their training.
Same. Having said that, post the 737Max issues I expect certifying a new airframe for airline passenger use in North America will be quite a bit slower and more methodical in order (a) ensure thoroughness and (b) more importantly, convince the public it was thorough, and so I'm expecting the 2028 date is sadly optimistic. For all those east coast Canadian routes that now have no service, this airframe is still too far away. I think only a Skycourier or Twin Otter could help YHZ-YSJ in the short term...
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The Heart design was originally a 19-seater. This article explains why that version didn't "fly". TBD if the 30 is any more realistic...
https://leehamnews.com/2022/01/28/bj...comment-474063
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:55 pm

I do wonder about what effect having another aircraft type in the fleet would have on pilot training. It was such a big deal keeping type commonality for the MAX and then adding a new type for a small subfleet like it's no big deal? Wouldn't that create a small pilot cadre that can only fly a handful of routes? If one is sick what do they do, cancel the flights for days until they get better?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC is buying essentially electric assist aircraft. Just like cars, I think Hybrid are a gimmick unless they have stellar range unless gas tank is only used for rare cases. It's a gimmick because if it is needed that rarely or charging infrastructure was so fast/good, why not add batteries where the gas tank and generator would go.

Batteries hate extreme conditions and degrade substantially if run from 100 percent to 0, or even kept at 100% too long (overnight may be too long). ​​​​​​On a brand new Model 3 with "270 miles" of range, 30 miles of driving in 100F temps plus a hour of idling with AC consumed 52% of that battery. A 140 mile drive at slightly cooler.temps took it down from 100% to 6%.
​​​​
How could AC deal with the 30 min to plane/deplane, cabin temps must be maintained, and ground power is often inop.. Throw in two trips to deice and takeoff queue. I picture a LOT of these flights operating using JetA for all but a small portion of flight time.

The regulations will be interesting. codfather ​​​brought upthe alternate airport + (45 min?) fuel reserve. What system engages the generators if primary battery charge is nil.

​​​​​​As far as hard landings go or in flight fire goes, batteries have this nasty tendency to ignite if damaged, can be near impossible to put our for 24+ hours....

I remember the ANA / 787 groundings afrer.Li-Ion fires not too long ago. I think a 30# FAA certified pack in the nose gear. The designers couldn't guarantee a safe battery so they added a heavy sealed steel case so that future fires would self extinguish.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I for one find this new technology exciting and since I fly a lot out of YCD & YQQ could conceivably have my butt on it sooner rather than later.

Yes, the first iteration of the technology isn't very practical. It's like that with everything. Look at the wind turbines that were built at Altamont Pass in the 80s vs the ones we have today. The originals were basically an expensive toy.

For the tech to ever scale, it will need real experience in revenue service. The OEM was smart to make a deal with AC to get aircraft in the air. If they only ever fly to Nanaimo - so what? That route is a perfect testbed.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:09 pm

I suspect this is being done for lots of reasons and not just for any single reason:

1. Marketing. Low-carbon flying is popular and interesting.

2. Pilot (no pun intended) project to see how electric fleets actually work in real life conditions.

3. An option on running electric planes to hedge if electric technology takes off. We can try to predict what technology will be like 5-10-15 years into the future but sometimes innovations happen that make our predictions widely pessimistic. (And sometimes the opposite).

I suspect none of these reasons would have been enough to pull the trigger but overall it seems like a pretty smart decision. Particularly since it’s a pretty low cost (relative to the company) move at this point.

Also wanted to mention this company: https://www.fleetzero.com/. It’s electrified cargo ships and their approach is to have modular batteries that are swappable so that you avoid the charging time and a bunch of other benefits.

I could imagine this working well for a small airline fleet along a busy route. Will be interesting to see if someone tries this at some point.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 17, 2022 at 9:37 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by wayner92
And the cost of the chargers. Who is going to pay for their installation? Especially if the route speculation is correct and a lot of the airports visited by this plane will be very small.
From the FAQ on their website: https://heartaerospace.com/faq/

We estimate the cost per charger for the ES-19 to be around $500k. A significant part of this infrastructure could be dual-purpose supporting the ground transportation and service vehicles.
(Granted it refers to their older aircraft, but I can't see the price for the ES-30 charger being hugely different)

The unit price of conventional regional turboprops runs upwards of $20M, and these aircraft certainly wouldn't be any cheaper. So while the half million for each charger isn't exactly chump change, it's probably not a huge concern compared to the price of the aircraft itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.