Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Standard Ticket magically became Basic

Standard Ticket magically became Basic

Old May 24, 2022, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Question Standard Ticket magically became Basic

Hi,

First off, very sorry if this has been addressed. I did look. But I've never seen this before and neither have the agents we've spoken to. Asking on behalf of a colleague, I got dragged in to help as I'm the frequent flyer/Aeroplan guru on my team.

Essentially, my colleague booked a standard return ticket, YYZ-LHR. Her confirmation email clearly shows this...both flights are Economy - Standard. But today, if you log in, both flights show as Economy-Basic, denying her the opportunity to upgrade and possibly screwing up her seat selection (check-in is coming up soon). The ticket number and booking reference match. She booked through the AC app directly. No travel agents or anything weird. She received no communication about a change.

No one at AC can/will do anything; they claim she has always had a basic fare and needs to reach out to customer relations, which she has, but as always they won't respond until long after she has flown. Twitter support says it's nothing they've ever seen before and can't help. I am totally stumped. I thought I'd seen everything but I've never had my class of fare messed with, other than pretty ordinary upgrades/downgrades.

If anyone has seen anything like this or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by JDB777
Hi,

First off, very sorry if this has been addressed. I did look. But I've never seen this before and neither have the agents we've spoken to. Asking on behalf of a colleague, I got dragged in to help as I'm the frequent flyer/Aeroplan guru on my team.

Essentially, my colleague booked a standard return ticket, YYZ-LHR. Her confirmation email clearly shows this...both flights are Economy - Standard. But today, if you log in, both flights show as Economy-Basic, denying her the opportunity to upgrade and possibly screwing up her seat selection (check-in is coming up soon). The ticket number and booking reference match. She booked through the AC app directly. No travel agents or anything weird. She received no communication about a change.

No one at AC can/will do anything; they claim she has always had a basic fare and needs to reach out to customer relations, which she has, but as always they won't respond until long after she has flown. Twitter support says it's nothing they've ever seen before and can't help. I am totally stumped. I thought I'd seen everything but I've never had my class of fare messed with, other than pretty ordinary upgrades/downgrades.

If anyone has seen anything like this or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

What was the original fare basis on the original booking, and what is the fare basis now?
Old May 24, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If OP has a clear proof that the ticket was indeed standard, one option would be to cancel it and buy a new, correct one. Then send a complain to customer relations asking for refunding of the extra charges.

If no dice with customer relations within the interval for CC complaints, then request the CC to cancel the charge for the second ticket.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

What was the original fare basis on the original booking, and what is the fare basis now?
Thanks! Kind of weird I haven't been here for years TBH. I've lurked forever.

As for the fare basis, I don't see anything from the original booking but it's currently showing as (L) both ways, which I thought was Standard but I am deeply rusty. Thanks again.

EDIT: The original booking was also L.

Originally Posted by Stranger
If OP has a clear proof that the ticket was indeed standard, one option would be to cancel it and buy a new, correct one. Then send a complain to customer relations asking for refunding of the extra charges.

If no dice with customer relations within the interval for CC complaints, then request the CC to cancel the charge for the second ticket.
Thanks! This was my original idea as well but it's just too close to the flight; she'll have to work it out with CR. I'm now mostly interested in how this could even happen, especially since her fare code never changed as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old May 24, 2022, 6:24 pm

Thanks! This was my original idea as well but it's just too close to the flight; she'll have to work it out with CR. I'm now mostly interested in how this could even happen, especially since her fare code never changed as far as I can tell.
With branded fares, the fare code itself is not enough to determine whether you have a standard or basic ticket. You'll need the entire fare basis.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
With branded fares, the fare code itself is not enough to determine whether you have a standard or basic ticket. You'll need the entire fare basis.
Thanks...like I said, new & rusty all at the same time.

Looks like it's LKA73LGT. More than happy to do my own work if there's a repository of Fare Basis info.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:21 pm

Thanks...like I said, new & rusty all at the same time.

Looks like it's LKA73LGT. More than happy to do my own work if there's a repository of Fare Basis info.
List of branded fare basis in link below:
​​​​​​
​​​​​Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex

Not sure if you made a typo, but TG is standard fare.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​​
Thank you again...genuinely appreciated.

The mystery deepens...no typo and nothing in her Fare Basis matches anything from that link. I know some kind of $10 Uber-related discount was applied but I can't imagine that could cause all this weirdness.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
​​​​​​
​​​​​Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex

The fare brand suffix thing usually holds for North America/Sun fares, but international fares often don't follow that convention.

The mystery deepens...no typo and nothing in her Fare Basis matches anything from that link. I know some kind of $10 Uber-related discount was applied but I can't imagine that could cause all this weirdness.
I tried looking up the fare on EF, and it's the lowest L fare, and one of the cheapest Y cabin fares out there. EF doesn't show what fare family it comes from, but when I looked up a couple of random dates in the future, the Basic fares ended in GT.

Have you looked up the booking using the cow's PNR viewer? It might not tell us anything, but it might.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The fare brand suffix thing usually holds for North America/Sun fares, but international fares often don't follow that convention.
​​​​Never knew that. Good to know, learned something new today.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Oh, and @JDB777, did you try to pull up the fare rules on the AC website and compare them to the fare rules from the e-mail confirmation?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 24, 2022 at 9:53 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 25, 2022, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm 90% sure LGT is a *A JV basic fare.

Not that I think this matters. I'm still drafting my complaint for when the AC website and booking confirmation email said I'd be seated in "business class", and I ended up in Y.

They regularly advertise things on their site and in their confirmation emails that don't match the PNR (which, of course, doesn't exist before you book).
Adam Smith and JDB777 like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I tried looking up the fare on EF, and it's the lowest L fare, and one of the cheapest Y cabin fares out there. EF doesn't show what fare family it comes from, but when I looked up a couple of random dates in the future, the Basic fares ended in GT.

Have you looked up the booking using the cow's pnr viewer? It might not tell us anything, but it might.
Thanks very much for looking.

I used the cow tool to find the fare basis. There is evidence of this being a basic fare: Specifically, 0% SQM.

​​​​​The other thing that jumps out is that while the fare is tiny ($121), the YQ box (which I believe is for additional airline fees even though it shows up under taxes) is over $500. So the ticket is primarily made up of YQ fees. I'm new to this side of things so this may be normal, but it felt off to me.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis P/P
Thanks very much for looking.

I used the cow tool to find the fare basis. There is evidence of this being a basic fare: Specifically, 0% SQM.

​​​​​The other thing that jumps out is that while the fare is tiny ($121), the YQ box (which I believe is for additional airline fees even though it shows up under taxes) is over $500. So the ticket is primarily made up of YQ fees. I'm new to this side of things so this may be normal, but it felt off to me.
Before advertising all inclusive fares became mandatory, you could often seen adds offering $150 YYZ-LHR return fares. Then, there was, in much smaller font, the $900 sum of all surcharges.
So no, this practice of showing low fares and high surcharges is not new by any means.
YOWgary and The Lev like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and @JDB777, did you try to pull up the fare rules on the AC website and compare them to the fare rules from the e-mail confirmation?
Great question. I took a look...the email correctly shows Standard fare rules, including 50% SQM, etc. Her current itinerary on the site shows all Basic rules.

Working theory at this point is someone at AC built a weird Basic fare but somehow managed to market it on the booking engine as standard. As soon as it's booked, it reveals its true nature and no one at AC sees anything but a basic fare, so they don't believe you when you say it was booked Standard, and have no way to handle it when you show proof.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.