Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: hahaha
Thanks for the clarification on the ownership! And also the insight on the banks' partnership
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by uni818
Its not clear how long we need to keep the credit card for, its quite vague in fact..so when is it safe to cancel?
It is safe to cancel the earlier of the end of 2023 or when you no longer value your status.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So if people start cancelling their cards once they've qualified for this promo, or any other, TD will probably feel the hit 3x, 4x, maybe 5x more than CIBC, and TD is not 3-5x the size of CIBC. It therefore makes sense that they would invest more in enforcement efforts.
TD market cap: $154 billion
CIBC market cap: $54 billion
TD is almost 3 times the size of CIBC. (I can remember when CIBC was Canada's second largest bank and TD was fifth.)
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
TD market cap: $154 billion
CIBC market cap: $54 billion
TD is almost 3 times the size of CIBC. (I can remember when CIBC was Canada's second largest bank and TD was fifth.)
Resource allocation like what I was referring to above is never done based on market cap, it's done based on a measure of operating performance, like revenue in the division in question. For FY2021, TD's revenue from Canadian personal and business banking (the segment that would include Aeroplan credit cards) was about $14 billion. CIBC's was about $8 billion. So TD is <2x the size of CIBC in that respect. For many years, TD was also quite weak in credit cards, which is a big part of why they went in so hard for Aeroplan all those years ago. If that were still true, whoever was managing the credit card segment of the Canadian retail business might be managing less than even less than 14/8 of CIBC's revenue in cards. But I don't really have much current information in that area, that may have changed.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
The 30k spend threshold, where can I see a YTD summary how i am doing towards the 30k goal by end of November?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
The 30k spend threshold, where can I see a YTD summary how i am doing towards the 30k goal by end of November?
You need to add it up off your statements...
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There is no 30k spend threshold. It's 30k points.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
WIth CIBC at least, you can look at the spend report and choose YTD. Then just multiply each category spend by the relevant multiplier for your card.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Signed up for the CIBC Card, just starting to get back in the flying grove anyway, wouldn't have made SE by a long shot this year without the CC offer. Next year a different story, lots of trips on the agenda. As mentioned previous this offer doesn't produce new Status members just keeps current members at their status if they qualify with the conditions.
Wings100 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:31 pm

I am close to hitting the 30K in total points via my personal premium card. My question is once I hit the 30K and my status is extended for another year. What happens if I have returns on purchases made counted for the 30K in points in 2023? I know they will deduct the points accordingly. Will they take my extended status away? What happens if I obtain a biz version of the premium card? Can I make purchases on this biz card linked to the same aeroplane account # to offset the anticipated purchases made on the personal card?
james dean likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I think if your do any returns you could loose your status. Just looking at the R&R from the offer. It's a good question, but as an example you qualify for your status with the 30,000 point offer but then sometime later (2023)you need a refund for whatever reason, it appears they could pull your status. This will be hard to police I'm sure but it seems they have made provision for this very aspect in the "terms & Conditions"

Cash Advances, Balance Transfers, Convenience Cheques, fees, interest and payments. Refunds, rebates, or credits on the account will cancel this Offer if the Eligible Earn are not met over the Offer Period.

Originally Posted by canadianidol
I am close to hitting the 30K in total points via my personal premium card. My question is once I hit the 30K and my status is extended for another year. What happens if I have returns on purchases made counted for the 30K in points in 2023? I know they will deduct the points accordingly. Will they take my extended status away? What happens if I obtain a biz version of the premium card? Can I make purchases on this biz card linked to the same aeroplane account # to offset the anticipated purchases made on the personal card?
Most likely if you did have a credit or refund over the 2023 period as long as you don't go below the 30,000 points qualifying threshold your status would be maintained.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 10, 2022 at 12:33 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:54 pm

MrsITAG hit 32,000 points today with 1900 of that being bonus (gas, etc). It will be interesting to see how long it will take for them to extend her SE to 2023 under the offer.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
MrsITAG hit 32,000 points today with 1900 of that being bonus (gas, etc). It will be interesting to see how long it will take for them to extend her SE to 2023 under the offer.
Good question, I'm wondering the same...I think they have created a lot of work for themselves to try and sort this out. The Terms say it may take awhile in the new year before you get awarded. I'm thinking perhaps late Jan or Feb at the latest depending on how many have participated in the program.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
What happens if you earn 2023 status via the CC but then downgrade the Infinite card to a regular Aeroplan card?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Wings100
What happens if you earn 2023 status via the CC but then downgrade the Infinite card to a regular Aeroplan card?
I think as long as you maintain an Aeroplan CC you should meet the T&C's.

Your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card account and Aeroplan account must be open and in good standing at the time the Offer is fulfilled for the Aeroplan Elite status extension to be processed. If you cancel your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card following the Aeroplan Elite status extension, we reserve the right to reverse the Aeroplan Elite status extension.

All Aeroplan cobrand cardholders with Elite status are eligible for this Offer.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Been checking daily, and just now my status shows another year of 75K (presumably from my chase card). I also recently hit the 50K spend but the status bump is not reflected (yet).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.