Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada getting 26 A321 XLR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Here's a quick map of the A321 XLR range from YUL : A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

arf04, ffsim and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Here's a quick map of the A321 XLR range from YUL : A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

But will it be able to have that 4700nm of range with a full load and winds? Because that opens up some other interesting routes. from YVR - Can reach Japan and Korea and potentially offer service to markets beyond Seoul and Tokyo. Also might be a possibility of providing service to some markets in Europe from YVR that might not warrant a large aircraft - like BRU.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
But will it be able to have that 4700nm of range with a full load and winds?
No, it will be less. Here's an article with a bunch of estimates. Western Canada to Europe seems far-fetched. YVR-Asia probably also too far. But lots of good possibilities still opened up.
tcook052 and N830MH like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:47 am

Great news with the A321XLR for the AC network! Guess it's the QR planes with that livery date?

The A321XLR or LR would probably have been my best bet on a direct flight between CPH-YUL.
"Unfortunately" SK is starting CPH and ARN-YYZ with their A321 LR and when AC recontinue YYZ-CPH with its (if its going to be as pre pandemic) 787, I'm quite sure that their will not be a market for a nother flight from Scandinavia to the east coast :/
Souch a shame that TS didn't have the chance to run their summer sheaduled flight YUL-CPH in 2020. I would have liked to see how much leasure travel that route could generate?

When that is said, it's going be most interesting to follow AC's choices of destinations!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
What would some of the potential J products be? If I had to guess, I'd say they'll introduce something like Jetblue Mint suites. IMO, anything less would be ridiculous for a product coming out in 2024.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yyztozag
What would some of the potential J products be? If I had to guess, I'd say they'll introduce something like Jetblue Mint suites. IMO, anything less would be ridiculous for a product coming out in 2024.
14 seats would suggest 1-1 as either herringbone or reverse herringbone. The original JetBlue Mint configuration would mean 12 or 16 seats depending on the number and configuration unless there was a row with seats on only one side. I suspect AC already knows what seat they are going to use and it will be announced shortly.
yyztozag likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Stil
Guess it's the QR planes with that livery date?
Not necessarily - keep in mind most of these birds will be leased from leasing companies, so the early time slots are probably coming from lessors who had already place "spec" orders with Airbus with later slots and options being bought direct from Airbus.
Stil likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
Not necessarily - keep in mind most of these birds will be leased from leasing companies, so the early time slots are probably coming from lessors who had already place "spec" orders with Airbus with later slots and options being bought direct from Airbus.
It's also quite possible that AC worked out a deal with Airbus to take QR's slots and then brought in the lessors to finance the planes.

I don't know the inner workings of the deal, just wouldn't read anything in to the fact that lessors are involved.
Stil likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:09 am

Good to know and points the both of you (The Lev, Adam Smith), it's a black spot in my knowledge.

Another question, do you know what the "normal" time frame would be for placing an order like this in years?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Stil
Good to know and points the both of you (The Lev, Adam Smith), it's a black spot in my knowledge.

Another question, do you know what the "normal" time frame would be for placing an order like this in years?
There isn't really a "normal" timeframe. It depends on, among other things:
  • How many aircraft the airline needs
  • How fast the has been aircraft selling
  • How much the airline needs the aircraft, and when
  • How much the airline wants to pay
  • Whether the airline has a good relationship with the OEM
  • Whether lessors have delivery positions that haven't already been committed
  • Whether the airline has good relationships with said lessors
  • What airline has run in to financial difficulty lately, or recently changed its strategy
  • Whether the manufacturer can ramp up production

Back in 2019, the XLR was already sold out through 2023. Not long ago, I think there was talk that there were no slots available before 2026 or 2027.

If these AC XLRs were originally slots allocated to QR, that could be how AC was able to start getting them fairly soon. Or they could have come from lessors who hadn't yet leased the planes to customers. Or it's possible some other airline has cancelled its order or deferred delivery. Or Airbus might have decided to accelerate production because it was worried about making room in the market for Boeing to launch the NMA/797/whatever.
Stil likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
From YVR, DUB and NRT/HND would be just about in range (depending on winds, ETOPS, etc.). YVR-BOG and YVR-PTY direct flights are probably the most likely opportunities outside US/domestic routes though, and both less likely than connecting eastern cities with Europe I would have thought. I think our best hope from YVR is guaranteed lie-flats to YYZ/YUL and maybe EWR/BOS/ORD etc.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There isn't really a "normal" timeframe. It depends on, among other things:
  • How many aircraft the airline needs
  • How fast the has been aircraft selling
  • How much the airline needs the aircraft, and when
  • How much the airline wants to pay
  • Whether the airline has a good relationship with the OEM
  • Whether lessors have delivery positions that haven't already been committed
  • Whether the airline has good relationships with said lessors
  • What airline has run in to financial difficulty lately, or recently changed its strategy
  • Whether the manufacturer can ramp up production

Back in 2019, the XLR was already sold out through 2023. Not long ago, I think there was talk that there were no slots available before 2026 or 2027.

If these AC XLRs were originally slots allocated to QR, that could be how AC was able to start getting them fairly soon. Or they could have come from lessors who hadn't yet leased the planes to customers. Or it's possible some other airline has cancelled its order or deferred delivery. Or Airbus might have decided to accelerate production because it was worried about making room in the market for Boeing to launch the NMA/797/whatever.
I know my formulation was quite vague, so thank you for the very thorough explanation!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:02 am

I wonder if this has to do with the survey I received the other day about some business class options. I was wondering why they were asking strange questions about lavatory, coat hangers, and media screen options.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not long ago, I think there was talk that there were no slots available before 2026 or 2027.
Like draft picks, slots can be bought and sold. At least, in theory.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
IST, MEX, BOG perhaps ? Wouold love to see AC go back to IST and de-rouge some of the south/central america routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.