Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread serves as a replacement/continuation of two long-running COVID-related threads on AC's change and refund policies:
If AC has changed or cancelled your flight, there's a specific thread for that.

[TO BE ADDED: QUICK SUMMARY OF VOUCHER AND VOLUNTARY CHANGE POLICIES]
Print Wikipost

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tr3k
"That long" - is as long as you mentioned (oops - thought someone else replied). I see a few more mentions above of the same timeframe (and a single mention of a multiple month wait elsewhere).
I requested one three weeks ago. Nothing yet for me. I think wait times are likely all over the place right now. The email did say allow up to 6 weeks for processing.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
I requested one three weeks ago. Nothing yet for me. I think wait times are likely all over the place right now. The email did say allow up to 6 weeks for processing.
P.S. And vouchers just arrived in my email - took only 1 week. Very well done Air Canada, def. appreciate this airline more.

The AC website mentiones that vouchers can be used through a travel agent. Has anyone done that? How is this handled?

Last edited by tr3k; Sep 22, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Change fees on Standard Fares or One-time-waiver?

I noticed today there's a link still that shows a one-time change-fee waiver - https://www.aircanada.com/en-ca/ready-for-takeoff
But every time I read detailed fare rules for a standard fare (e.g. transborder fare) - I see references to a $100 change fee, no waiver. Any recent updates on this? If I were to cancel a standard fare after the 24-hour period, would that result in a credit less fee? Or is it a "full" credit but then a fee when you rebook? I find the Flex fares really expensive!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:52 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by psiachp
But every time I read detailed fare rules for a standard fare (e.g. transborder fare) - I see references to a $100 change fee, no waiver. Any recent updates on this? If I were to cancel a standard fare after the 24-hour period, would that result in a credit less fee? Or is it a "full" credit but then a fee when you rebook? I find the Flex fares really expensive!
Change fee waiver died end of April. You can cancel for a voucher with no fee, then use that to re-book, but you have to wait until you get the voucher, which takes several days at least, possibly more. That's the drawback.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Change fee waiver died end of April. You can cancel for a voucher with no fee, then use that to re-book, but you have to wait until you get the voucher, which takes several days at least, possibly more. That's the drawback.
That's not too bad; thanks for this. I wish it was disclosed in the fare rules, but if it's as you say, sounds like it's decently riskfree to keep booking standard fares. Are they for sure cancelable?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by psiachp
That's not too bad; thanks for this. I wish it was disclosed in the fare rules, but if it's as you say, sounds like it's decently riskfree to keep booking standard fares. Are they for sure cancelable?
It's not in the fare rules because it's a general corporate policy, not a specific benefit to any fare. Just like change fee waiver was.

They could change or revoke this policy at any time. They could eliminate the vouchers altogether. They could deduct the applicable change fees like WS does before crediting their Travel Bank. Or they could do something different entirely.

Whether you want to take that risk is up to you.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They could change or revoke this policy at any time. They could eliminate the vouchers altogether. They could deduct the applicable change fees like WS does before crediting their Travel Bank. Or they could do something different entirely.
Given the work they're doing on their own travel bank, some combination of the above seems likely.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:25 pm

How long to receive travel voucher?

Hello,

I recently cancelled a trip for a travel voucher and I see in the fine print it can take up to 6 weeks for it to get emailed.

Does it usually take that long? The trip I was planning with the voucher is in 5 weeks.

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Yakolev
Hello,

I recently cancelled a trip for a travel voucher and I see in the fine print it can take up to 6 weeks for it to get emailed.

Does it usually take that long? The trip I was planning with the voucher is in 5 weeks.

Thanks
Data point; I requested a travel voucher on Sept 10 and haven’t received it yet.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:04 am

I thought the main advantage was that it's much faster to get a voucher/credit compared to a refund. If a voucher takes six weeks, then it's probably not much faster than getting a refund.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Data point; I requested a travel voucher on Sept 10 and haven’t received it yet.
Whereas it took me less than a week to receive a couple of them in August.

Originally Posted by Covidian98
I thought the main advantage was that it's much faster to get a voucher/credit compared to a refund. If a voucher takes six weeks, then it's probably not much faster than getting a refund.
Why would you take a voucher when you could get a refund? The vouchers are attractive as a way to get full value out of fares that are otherwise non-refundable or would cost change/cancellation fees.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given the work they're doing on their own travel bank, some combination of the above seems likely.
wow is this another insider info you have? AC secretly building a travel bank feature?

I once canceled a NA flex ticket to get the value back in voucher, and it took too long (several weeks). So I sent an email to customer care and was advised that I can request to terminate the voucher issuing process and immediately use the residual ticket value towards a new booking that I wish to make (I'm guessing this is the sort of future travel credit thing with a simple ticket reissue).

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 12, 2022 at 1:23 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sha8192
wow is this another insider info you have? AC secretly building a travel bank feature?
I may have more information than the general public, but it was in their investor presentation.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sha8192
I once canceled a NA flex ticket to get the value back in voucher, and it took too long (several weeks). So I sent an email to customer care and was advised that I can request to terminate the voucher issuing process and immediately use the residual ticket value towards a new booking that I wish to make (I'm guessing this is the sort of future travel credit thing with a simple ticket reissue).
That requires paying a change fee.
sha8192 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:22 am

I cancelled mine on 1 Sep, got voucher after 11 days.($1500) I cancelled once again on Oct 3rd, not received yet.($5600) What's your ticket value? I hope processing time won't depend on the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.