Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread serves as a replacement/continuation of two long-running COVID-related threads on AC's change and refund policies:
If AC has changed or cancelled your flight, there's a specific thread for that.

[TO BE ADDED: QUICK SUMMARY OF VOUCHER AND VOLUNTARY CHANGE POLICIES]
Print Wikipost

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:58 pm

I plan to purchase an international business ticket (lowest), as the ticket is more than $7,000, that's why I want to ask few questions prior to buying the ticket.
If I cancel this non-refundable ticket, I understand that I would get a travel voucher with no expiry date.
Can I use this travel voucher (under my name) to buy a ticket for my mother?
Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by HSBC
Can I use this travel voucher (under my name) to buy a ticket for my mother?
Thanks!
Yes.
HSBC likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I note they changed the date on which the free change policy is currently scheduled to end from June 30th 2022 to July 5th, 2022, which coincides with the end of the new AMEX promotion.

Pure speculation on my part, but this could signal an end to the rolling extension of the change policy.

Just a guess, but it doesn't make much sense to extend it 5 days for any other reason.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:42 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I note they changed the date on which the free change policy is currently scheduled to end from June 30th 2022 to July 5th, 2022, which coincides with the end of the new AMEX promotion.

Pure speculation on my part, but this could signal an end to the rolling extension of the change policy.

Just a guess, but it doesn't make much sense to extend it 5 days for any other reason.
I suspect the July 5 date is to align with WS's revised policy, not an Amex promo. But yes, such a short-term extension does suggest it may be coming to an end.

The last few extensions to AC's policy have also generally (a) come closer to the expiry of the policy than previous extensions, (b) been for shorter periods, and (c) been published with less fanfare, which all suggest the same thing.
Bohemian1 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is AC no longer waving change fees? Saw it on aircanada.com last week but not seeing it anymore.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone got a datapoint on how long getting a refund in the form of points takes? It says up to six weeks but does it actually take that long?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadianGnome
Anyone got a datapoint on how long getting a refund in the form of points takes? It says up to six weeks but does it actually take that long?
My latest took less than one week. June 23-29

And the ones earlier in the spring took about the same amount of time.

Speaking of, I notice this in the fine print on the Travel Ready--Changes and Cancellations Page on the AC site:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/
For changing or cancelling your booking:
  • All eligible fare tickets issued on or before July 5, 2022 for original travel between March 1, 2020 and July 5, 2023 can be cancelled and the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus.
  • Eligible fare tickets other than Basic issued on or after July 6, 2022 can be cancelled and the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus.
  • Basic fare tickets issued on or after July 6, 2022 are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points.
  • Existing bookings may only be changed or cancelled up to 2 hours prior to departure.
  • Refundable tickets will be refunded as per the applicable fare rules; a cancellation fee may still apply.
My reading is that they are extending this policy for the foreseeable future on all but Basic fares?
Denguin likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by kalderlake
My latest took less than one week. June 23-29

And the ones earlier in the spring took about the same amount of time.

Speaking of, I notice this in the fine print on the Travel Ready--Changes and Cancellations Page on the AC site:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/

My reading is that they are extending this policy for the foreseeable future on all but Basic fares?
It certainly reads that way... weird they do not advertise that in a very obvious fashion, though.

I just took a look at a random Standard Economy class ticket, and the fare rules indicate that a $100 change fee applies. No mention of full conversion back to AC credit without penalty, though I'm not sure if this was the case when the policy was in effect.

I'd be weary of trying it unless there are positive data points first, or they end up defining what "eligible" means.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is AC no longer waving change fees? Saw it on aircanada.com last week but not seeing it anymore.

This was quietly announced. The only exception is YYZ where they are allowing passengers to make changes such as arrive into YYZ earlier than planned due to the delays. I also heard late last night on CTV that AC is now allowing changes when passengers want to increase their layover time.

I wounder if I can do a big one allowing me time to go watch a Jays game and then continue on
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Denguin
It certainly reads that way... weird they do not advertise that in a very obvious fashion, though.

I just took a look at a random Standard Economy class ticket, and the fare rules indicate that a $100 change fee applies. No mention of full conversion back to AC credit without penalty, though I'm not sure if this was the case when the policy was in effect.

I'd be weary of trying it unless there are positive data points first, or they end up defining what "eligible" means.
Yes, that's what has me hesitant to state it unequivocally. It used to be a large-type bullet point on one of the pages, but I can't find that page anymore.

As for "eligible" I can't find a definition, but when I look at the "fare options and fees" page, it mentions explicitly that Basic fares allow "No Refund No Future Travel Credit" while the rest of the fares mention only "No Refund".
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:29 pm

So... anyone booked a flight in the last couple of days want to check what the self-serve cancellation options are available? Is there still an option for free cancellation back to AC credit on non-refundable fares (i.e. Standard)?

I promise to give your post a like.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
As a datapoint, AC vouchers that require manual processing are still painfully slow. Requested a voucher from a cancelled flight on March 11 and received the voucher details today, more than 4 months after.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Denguin

anyone have any experience trying to change or cancel a post-July 5 ticket. With the free change language gone and showing $100 change fees for standard tickets, seems you now need to go to a flex ticket for free changes. However, looked up an itin on the mobile website, and seems they advertise ‘1 free change’there, but doesn’t appear on the main website when looking on a laptop, so trying to confirm whether this is still a benefit (see below).

i assume any cancelations on a standard ticket (or above) should still generate a full value voucher?

Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
anyone have any experience trying to change or cancel a post-July 5 ticket. With the free change language gone and showing $100 change fees for standard tickets, seems you now need to go to a flex ticket for free changes. However, looked up an itin on the mobile website, and seems they advertise ‘1 free change’there, but doesn’t appear on the main website when looking on a laptop, so trying to confirm whether this is still a benefit (see below).

i assume any cancelations on a standard ticket (or above) should still generate a full value voucher?
I’m US based and only looking at trans border. AC/UA/DL/AA put fall/winter transborder on sale until Jul 28.

I just purchased a number of UA codeshare (on AC metal) just to avoid AC change fee.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 20, 2022 at 9:45 am Reason: Remove large quoted image
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’m US based and only looking at trans border. AC/UA/DL/AA put fall/winter transborder on sale until Jul 28.

I just purchased a number of UA codeshare (on AC metal) just to avoid AC change fee.
Definitely a fan of the flexibility that the US carriers offer. Looking now at SFO(or SJC) - YYZ in the fall, and UA fares on the codeshares operated by AC are pricing at B fares - ouch! Don’t know why, but once UA cancelled their own metal flights SFO-YYZ, all the discount fares went away - it wasn’t much more than $400 round trip before that point, including on AC-operated options. There are some ok connecting options, but even many of those are pretty high-priced. I just ended up booking an MP ticket for one direction, and trying to figure out the best return option.

i also dread trying to get in touch with AC when needed - last time I wanted to talk to someone, e ended up calling the local Japan number so I didn’t have a crazy long wait time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.