Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread serves as a replacement/continuation of two long-running COVID-related threads on AC's change and refund policies:
If AC has changed or cancelled your flight, there's a specific thread for that.

[TO BE ADDED: QUICK SUMMARY OF VOUCHER AND VOLUNTARY CHANGE POLICIES]
Print Wikipost

Change fees & travel vouchers on revenue tickets (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
I have a non-refundable ticket to travel to Spain in June. I booked the flights back in January 2022. I am considering cancelling the trip due to the situation in Ukraine. If I request a voucher, does the voucher have no expiration date? (It's very hard to find the exact rules on the AC website.)
actually, not very hard to find at all. On the page talking about flexible policies due to COVID (https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/), says this pretty directly:

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.
IME, it takes a few weeks to actually receive the code, and have it activated with the amount, but pretty flexible to use later on - pretty much like a gift card that can be used for anyone.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Had a call today with my corporate travel desk. Seems perhaps . . . that the blanket waiving of change fees is ending at the end of this month. Now - there has been a never-ending rolling extension of change fee waivers since March 2020. However, this time - it sounded different. Anyone have any insight? Now - I realize that change fees are great for the airlines but I think we are still in enough of an uncertain mode in many parts of the world, that I just don't see this changing yet.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
actually, not very hard to find at all. On the page talking about flexible policies due to COVID (https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/), says this pretty directly:

IME, it takes a few weeks to actually receive the code, and have it activated with the amount, but pretty flexible to use later on - pretty much like a gift card that can be used for anyone.
Thank you for sharing the link. I haven't booked on Air Canada since 2015.

I booked directly on Air Canada's website. Can I cancel the itinerary and request for a voucher directly on the Manage Booking section of the website or do I need to call their customer service?
Old May 16, 2022, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Had a call today with my corporate travel desk. Seems perhaps . . . that the blanket waiving of change fees is ending at the end of this month. Now - there has been a never-ending rolling extension of change fee waivers since March 2020. However, this time - it sounded different. Anyone have any insight?
I'd turn this around the other way - do you have any insight why your travel people think it's not going to be extended again? Yes, it currently expires May 31, but they've been rolling it out a month or a couple months at a time for... close to 2 years now? Sometimes leaving it quite close to the end date before doing the extension.
​​​
Originally Posted by naumank
Can I cancel the itinerary and request for a voucher directly on the Manage Booking section of the website or do I need to call their customer service?
Online.
naumank likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I had a domestic itinerary that got so messed up by schedule changes that it was easier to cancel. I request a travel voucher and it was all processed in a week!
Old May 17, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'm a little confused by the current policies.

Let's say that today I book a Premium Economy (Lowest) fare from YVR-SYD and back for travel in November 2022. And let's assume that the current change/cancellation policy is not extended past May 31. Then, this summer, I decide to cancel that itinerary and not do the travel at all.

Will I be able to claim the travel voucher?

Also, under normal circumstances, would I qualify for any kind of refund (even if with a penalty of some kind), or would I be out the whole fare?
Old May 17, 2022, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Depends on whether they extend the voucher offer, but it would seem likely.

Also, under normal circumstances, would I qualify for any kind of refund (even if with a penalty of some kind), or would I be out the whole fare?
Depends on the fare rules. If the fare rules allow refund in exchange for fee payment, yes.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Depends on whether they extend the voucher offer, but it would seem likely.
Okay, so all those special provisions related to COVID are related to the date of the change that's made (currently May 31), not the date of travel? In other words, if AC doesn't extend the current set of policies, by November I will be out of luck and not be able to make one free change or cancel my ticket and receive a voucher?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:03 pm

Okay, so all those special provisions related to COVID are related to the date of the change that's made (currently May 31), not the date of travel? In other words, if AC doesn't extend the current set of policies, by November I will be out of luck and not be able to make one free change or cancel my ticket and receive a voucher?
My understanding is that you get free changes until the end of the month, plus one more free change after that if the policy is not extended.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm a little confused by the current policies.

Let's say that today I book a Premium Economy (Lowest) fare from YVR-SYD and back for travel in November 2022. And let's assume that the current change/cancellation policy is not extended past May 31. Then, this summer, I decide to cancel that itinerary and not do the travel at all.

And if I were to book that PE lowest ticket and have to cancel it, how do I find out what sort of fee I would have to pay to get a partial refund?

All it says on AC's site is a fee would apply, but I cannae find the damn number anywhere.

Edit: To answer my own question, you can click on the fare on the "Trip Review" page and the information is there.

Last edited by kalderlake; May 21, 2022 at 6:21 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 10:33 am

Can you use the free change to change the ticket class? Looking at booking an economy award on UA metal but if Business opens down the line (we all have dreams 😆 ) I’m wondering if I’ll be able to use the free change to make the switch…
Old May 26, 2022, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Temporary change/cancellation policy now extended to June 30th, 2022:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ovid-19.html#/
vancouver25k and 49penguins like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
My understanding is that you get free changes until the end of the month, plus one more free change after that if the policy is not extended.
Policy is based on when ticket was issued. So - if policies change - it is prospective. The reason is that it is in the fare rules for your fare and those are locked in once issued.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'd turn this around the other way - do you have any insight why your travel people think it's not going to be extended again? Yes, it currently expires May 31, but they've been rolling it out a month or a couple months at a time for... close to 2 years now? Sometimes leaving it quite close to the end date before doing the extension.
​​​

Online.
The date is now extended to June 30, 2022. So - I guess we can really expect this to keep rolling for a while. Planes are pretty full still but the risks of something popping up and preventing travel plus various regional restrictions means providing free changes (subject to fare dif) still makes it easier for the airlines. Don't want to predict that the rules will never go back but it will probably be a while before we are 100% back to pre-covid change fee rules.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 29, 2022 at 2:52 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old May 31, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Any way to combine Air Canada Vouchers

I have 3 individual Air Canada credit vouchers but any new booking only allows 2 forms of payment - either 2 vouchers or a voucher plus a credit card. Is there any way to combine the credit from all 3 vouchers so they can be used for one ticket?
Old May 31, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by ivlah
I have 3 individual Air Canada credit vouchers but any new booking only allows 2 forms of payment - either 2 vouchers or a voucher plus a credit card. Is there any way to combine the credit from all 3 vouchers so they can be used for one ticket?
book a random ticket for the amount of 2 vouchers, make a change & pay the difference with the third voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.