Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:52 am

Yul to yvr

At check in for a yul to yvr flight on a A330-300

Offered an upgrade to premium economy for $295 and upgrade to business for $395

premium economy showing 9 of 24 booked
business showing 23 of 32 seats booked
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
At check in for a yul to yvr flight on a A330-300

Offered an upgrade to premium economy for $295 and upgrade to business for $395

premium economy showing 9 of 24 booked
business showing 23 of 32 seats booked
Sounds like great value for Business. What are your original brand and price?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Sounds like great value for Business. What are your original brand and price?
Originally booked with 12,500 Points in Lowest Economy
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Originally booked with 12,500 Points in Lowest Economy
Shame it was on a A330 though, which might explain why it was so cheap.

I consistently see using the CowTool that flights on an A330 cost few points on the same route/day than flights operated by a 788/789/777.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE
Not sure if its well known - but pricing appears to be dependent on elite status?

checked in my wife and YYZ -> YYC was $730 (50k) but when I checked in it was $657 (SE).
Old Jul 17, 2023, 6:29 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Sophon
Not sure if its well known - but pricing appears to be dependent on elite status?

checked in my wife and YYZ -> YYC was $730 (50k) but when I checked in it was $657 (SE).
Did you check in at the same time? If not, it could also be a question of timing?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My dad is checked in for a flight. It's a UA codeshare operated by AC, 016 ticket. The flight is J2.

I don't even see where an LMU would be offered.

I don't know if it's because they're just not selling them, or because it's a codeshare, or because it's 016, or because there's a Status Pass.

Oh well. Less money for AC I guess.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My dad is checked in for a flight. It's a UA codeshare operated by AC, 016 ticket. The flight is J2.

I don't know if it's because they're just not selling them, or because it's a codeshare, or because it's 016, or because there's a Status Pass.

You should instruct him to approach the gate agent:

”Do you know who I am? I’m Cow’s dad…”

I’m pretty sure J2 is the reason. Holding out for a possible last minute - failing that they want to hold some inventory for priority upgrades.
JayTakesOff likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:12 am

Less money from you, yes, but how do you you know its less money overall from AC? Do we know how LMU revenues are shared in a case of 016 ticket on AC metal?

Perhaps not offering it to CanadianBull means more revenue for AC from another source?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I’m pretty sure J2 is the reason. Holding out for a possible last minute - failing that they want to hold some inventory for priority upgrades.
I've certainly seen them sell half a dozen LMUs down to J0 on Signature routes before.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Less money from you, yes, but how do you you know its less money overall from AC?
Yes, I know, because they set the price.

If they think there's a 50% chance they can sell a $2000 fare, then they should reasonably be able to price the upgrade at $1000.

But they could certainly offer it at $2000.

But instead they're not offering it.

Do we know how LMU revenues are shared in a case of 016 ticket on AC metal?
They're not shared.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:27 am

I've certainly seen them sell half a dozen LMUs down to J0 on Signature routes before.

Yes, I know, because they set the price.

If they think there's a 50% chance they can sell a $2000 fare, then they should reasonably be able to price the upgrade at $1000.

But they could certainly offer it at $2000.

But instead they're not offering it.

They're not shared.
What I meant is If they are not offering a LMU then there is most likely a reason. You are saying they lost the opportunity to sell you something. What I am saying is they might have another revenue source for those seats. Or an opportunity cost.. or even a direct expense that surpasses $2k for selling it to you.

Hypothetical example: perhaps with all these cancelled flights, they turn off LMUs at less than J=X. Because if they need to reroute 2 other J passengers onto that flight and there is no room, they might be out hotels, vouchers and paying thousands of dollars in compensation. The result is net more money for AC by not selling it to you.

If you really wanted to upgrade you could always call it and pay the fare difference + change fee (if applicable), assuming the seats are still available for sale. LMU most likely falls into ancillary revenue for AC and thus not a primary source of revenue but rather a 'nice to have'.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:43 am

...they might be out hotels, vouchers and paying thousands of dollars in compensation. The result is net more money for AC by not selling it to you.
That would be a reason not to sell the seat to a new passenger. All those factors still apply regardless of what cabin someone sits in on a flight they're already booked on.

If you really wanted to upgrade you could always call it and pay the fare difference + change fee (if applicable)
No I can't, because:
1. It was booked through a TA
2. The passenger is checked in, and it's too close to departure to risk this

...assuming the seats are still available for sale.
They're not, at this point, because it's past scheduled departure time (but check-in is still open). They were available for sale last night.

LMU most likely falls into ancillary revenue for AC and thus not a primary source of revenue but rather a 'nice to have'.
5 seconds of Googling showed that in 2016, AC's ancillary revenue exceeded their profits. So it's more like "essential to have".

I still think it's likely the codeshare issue. I never fly codeshares in below the flight's highest cabin, so I've never attempted this before. It certainly prevents SDC and SBY, and makes eUpgrades much harder, so it wouldn't surprise me if some system just said "we can only sell upgrades on AC flights, and this is a UA flight".
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:18 pm

5 seconds of Googling showed that in 2016, AC's ancillary revenue exceeded their profits. So it's more like "essential to have".
Profits and losses are relative. When they are losing millions so the revenue from selling model die cast places is higher than profits. And from what I have read, Airline Frequent Flyer programmes are essentially private banks that print their own money and their value exceeds the (often negative) value of the actual flying part.

Sounds like you believe its a technical issue because of codeshare rather than "Oh well. Less money for AC I guess."

But I digress.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I also agree it must be a technical issue caused by the codeshare or status pass. They don't care about eupgrades or saving space. AC will gladly LMU to J0 everytime there's any positive space in the cabin.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

My experience is that AC gate agent can process LMU for either cash or eups. Probably not all of them, but the few times I asked they were all able to.

No discount whatsoever though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.