Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards

Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards

Old May 22, 22, 6:19 am

05/17/2022
SFO-YUL
A220
Booked in comfort (T)
J LMU offer - US$564.87
Refused!
There were probably 6 empty seats in the Y cabin.
Old May 22, 22, 11:01 am

Anyone know how they time LMU offers? I understand they may be offered at check in, but different people check in at different times depending on their first flight - we can check into our flight 4.5 hours before people whose flights originate at YUL. Those whose flight originates in San Francisco will check in even earlier. Are we better off waiting 4.5 hours to check in exactly 24 hours before the 2nd flight, the one we would really like the business seats in? We don't really care about J seats in the first leg. Also how do mixed cabin flights impact this?

We purchased Premium Economy (lowest) tickets with mixed cabins. From BOS to YUL we are seated in economy, while from YUL to LIS we are seated in Premium Economy (Lowest). Our fist flight is about 1.25 hours, and we have about a 3.5 hour layover in YUL.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but they do have their algorithms, so I'm just trying to figure out when a LMU offer for the second leg would most likely be made at check in. The whole "needing-to-test to be let into Portugal" throws another timing challenge into this "when should I check in" -
Old Jun 2, 22, 8:02 pm

06/03/2022
YUL-SAN
A220
Booked in comfort (K)
J LMU offer - $529.20
J4 C4 D4 Z0 P0 R4 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 F0
The seatmap looks very empty - rare these days!
Refused! On a 789 I would do it, but not on this aircraft.
Old Jun 12, 22, 4:12 pm

Are LMUs cheaper than buying Premium/Business from the start?

Basically what the subject says. I'm looking to go to Toronto from Barcelona. Flying Premium is an extra 550 euros more roughly compared to standard on economy (about 800 euros). Business about 3000-4000 euros more.

So I'm pretty sure for business, a LMU would be cheaper, if one gets it.
But what about premium economy? Just really curious.

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 22, 9:56 am

What a load of bull. Got all excited about this bidding thing, as I didn't know about it before. Put a bid to upgrade my BCN-YYZ seats. Two days before departure, got an email saying they tried to upgrade it but my credit card declined, which is not true. I called the CC and there's no reason for it to be declined and nothing was declined. Anyways, I go online to see if I can upgarde it, and it gives an error (We are temporarily unable to process your request. Please try again later. (err-7)). I call Air Canada to see if I can upgrade or why it says it was rejected, they say they don't see any attempts to upgrade and not only that, upgrades can't be possible because it's full.

Complete BS.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
AC1063 AUS-YVR.

AE booking, I actually tried booking in Standard, Flex, and latitude to see if it impacted LMU price (since I like to book less than 24hrs before departure). All 3 fares offered an LMU price of 261 USD. Pretty good deal but I went for a latitude+4 eups instead. Flight was J2 R2 when I tried this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 10:28 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
YEG - SFO tomorrow morning, originally booked in Y for something like 8k Aeroplan points. Was offered $329 Canadian per passenger at check-in. Mrs. Bambino, the frugal and sensible one, says go for it. Who am I to argue? A bit too much for my liking on a narrow-body, but it's a three hour flight with Y full to the brim, so...

Edit: Read upthread about possibility of food running out. With the business cabin now pretty much full at T-20, I imagine the flight will be catered properly. If not, surely the FA would throw a breakfast wrap or whatever our way from the Bistro at no charge. Or?
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Sep 2, 22 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 2, 22, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC50K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bambinomartino View Post
YEG - SFO tomorrow morning, originally booked in Y for something like 8k Aeroplan points. Was offered $329 Canadian per passenger at check-in. Mrs. Bambino, the frugal and sensible one, says go for it. Who am I to argue? A bit too much for my liking on a narrow-body, but it's a three hour flight with Y full to the brim, so...

Edit: Read upthread about possibility of food running out. With the business cabin now pretty much full at T-20, I imagine the flight will be catered properly. If not, surely the FA would throw a breakfast wrap or whatever our way from the Bistro at no charge. Or?
You'll be fine. Usually only the eupgrades at the gate that are at risk of not getting fed J meals.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
AFAIK catering is sent numbers around T-18, so you should be fine.

But I've been denied a meal as an SE in paid J, so anything can happen.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Sep 4, 22, 9:55 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
AFAIK catering is sent numbers around T-18, so you should be fine.

But I've been denied a meal as an SE in paid J, so anything can happen.
They were a meal short, and our group of 4 only got 3 breakfast J meals. Do they ordinarily start taking meal orders from the back of the J cabin? Because they got to us last (row 1) and be like, sorry only one omelet and 2 French toast remaining. Wonder if a 9- and a 4-year old being in our travelling party had anything to do with the decision. They gave the 4th person a chicken wrap and a cheese/cracker thingy. We couldn't finish the food (so a good call, objectively) by the FAs, but I was a bit miffed.

What, if anything, would you all do in this circumstance?
Old Sep 4, 22, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bambinomartino View Post
They were a meal short, and our group of 4 only got 3 breakfast J meals. Do they ordinarily start taking meal orders from the back of the J cabin? Because they got to us last (row 1) and be like, sorry only one omelet and 2 French toast remaining. Wonder if a 9- and a 4-year old being in our travelling party had anything to do with the decision. They gave the 4th person a chicken wrap and a cheese/cracker thingy. We couldn't finish the food (so a good call, objectively) by the FAs, but I was a bit miffed.

What, if anything, would you all do in this circumstance?
LMUs are, per the terms, not guaranteed a meal. So if they're actually short, it would make sense to go to you last. And if they offered you Bistro food, I think they did as best as could be expected.
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
09/11/2022
YVR-YYC
B73M
Flex
$143.22 (possibly limited time 20% off promo applied) at T-24, same offer at T-2
3/16 seats taken per upgrade list, no upgrades pending

09/11/2022

YYC-YVR
B73M
Flex
$436.59 (possibly limited time 20% off promo applied) at T-24, then $143.22 at T-3
11/16 seats taken per upgrade list, no upgrades pending at T-24, then 10 upgrades waitlisted at T-3

1D had a "not operational" sticker across the headrest. Aircraft was C-FSOC Fin 517.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by guessaaa; Sep 12, 22 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hi there.

Does LMU offer free checked bags for non status pax? Finding out for someone and couldnt find it in the wiki.

thanks!!
Old Sep 24, 22, 12:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Silver, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Hilton/Radisson Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG View Post
Does LMU offer free checked bags for non status pax? Finding out for someone and couldnt find it in the wiki.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Free checked baggage isn't listed as a benefit of LMUs. Nor is it specifically excluded, like mileage earning. You might have to be our guinea pig on this one
SKYEG and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:10 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
happy to report back that it does include J checked bag allowance

Search this Thread