Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Old Sep 12, 22, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by JeffYVR View Post
This may be a silly question but, am I always qualifying only until the end of the current calendar year, or the next?

For example, if I'm 50k by the end of 2022, would I retain 50k for all of 2023, or would I start back at no status? (Excluding the current roll over promos, extensions, etc).
You're qualifying for next year, but if your status goes up before the of this year, they'll generally start giving you the benefits right away (or close to it; this is sometimes referred to as "early recognition"). So if you qualified for 50K this year, as an increase from whatever your status was this year, they would likely start letting you have the 50K benefits right away, but your status will be good through end of 2023.

Early recognition used to require achieving the higher status by October 31, but they've eliminated that language, only saying they "may" recognize your status early.
JeffYVR likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 1:32 am

Programs: AC Altitude 75k, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Hi Folks,

Finally hit SE today with 135k SQM & 21k SQD. What would be the best way (if any) to get a jump start on 2024 qualification? Should I invest in a Premium CC to roll over the SQM? I currently only hold a core card.

Appreciate the expert advice on this thread
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:56 am

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rau90 View Post
Hi Folks,

Finally hit SE today with 135k SQM & 21k SQD. What would be the best way (if any) to get a jump start on 2024 qualification? Should I invest in a Premium CC to roll over the SQM? I currently only hold a core card.

It depends a little on your expected plans for 2023, and how much traveling you'll be doing ... but I'll observe that you are unlikely to be able to buy a flight that gets you 35K SQM (which is how much you could rollover) for only the $600 that a premium credit card costs .... so unless you think that you'll easily clear based on existing flight plans alone, I think a premium credit card is a no-brainer.
rau90 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
That being said, you're over SQM by 35% and SQD by 5%. Is the extra SQM actually going to help you with 2024 qualification?

SQM certainly has other benefits, but that's the only one you mentioned.
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:59 pm

Programs: AP35k, Bonvoy Gold
How quickly does a new status take to get reflected after hitting minimum requirements?
I'm going to hit 50k on the 3rd and have another flight which I'd like to have *A gold lounge access for on the 18th. Should it post in time?
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by smuncky View Post
How quickly does a new status take to get reflected after hitting minimum requirements?
I'm going to hit 50k on the 3rd and have another flight which I'd like to have *A gold lounge access for on the 18th. Should it post in time?
Probably at least a couple days for the flights to post. Then a few more days for the status to update. Quite likely the new status should be in effect by the 2nd flight.
smuncky likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by rau90 View Post
Hi Folks,

Continue flying this year to reach 250k sqm, and you will earn a banked SE year.
Old Sep 27, 22, 8:24 pm

When is the year end, exactly?

And is it the scheduled take-off time that determines the date the flight will be credited?

I checked the AC site, and did a google search, but no luck.

TIA

kl
Old Sep 27, 22, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalderlake View Post
When is the year end, exactly?

And is it the scheduled take-off time that determines the date the flight will be credited?
Yes. In local time at origin.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 4:05 pm

Besides BIS flights, is there any other payment activity that can count towards SQD? Reason Im asking is I may be 5 SQD away from a threshold Priority Reward. Dont really want to pay $200 to upgrade one of my flight legs from Flex to Comfort just to get 5 more SQD..
Old Sep 28, 22, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
You could probably pay less than that to move it up one fare class.

Upgrade add-ons are the only other thing that count.

Search this Thread